Do's and dont's in Jeddah

Hi everyone!
Im moving to Jeddah very soon. (probably in October 2012) I'm from Manila and an English Instructor, Been working overseas in   China and Oman since 2003.
Right now I'm employed in a college in Quezon City, Philippines and have accepted the job offer to work in Saudi. (pay is really good!)
I just have this mixed emotions and I still have time to back out or withdraw my application due to the many things that I've been hearing about working in KSA.
How strict are those" Religious police? What are the do's and dont's?
Are Saudi students bad ? Is there really such thing as "abduction" and male rape in Saudi?
What to bring and what not to bring?
Gym, facial center, Chinese restaurants( I was in China for 5 years and I love Chinese food : )...do these things exist over there?
Is it true you can not go out with female friends?
Awful lot of questions huh? : ))
Advise will truly be appreciated! Thanks guys!

1. Muttawa not very prevalent in Jeddah - simple rules really - in public behave according to sharia.
2. Can't comment - have heard some bad things, but have also met Saudis that are keen to do well. Probably a bit like everywhere - good and bad students.
3. Haven't heard of it - but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen - as always stay out of dodgy areas or go with others - don't put yourself at risk.
4. Can pretty much get most things here - just need to know where to shop! Only thing I might suggest - if you have a computer get a VPN dialler.
5. Gyms - men only although some "women's medical centres" have these facilities; most compounds also have these facilities.
Facial centre - beauty salons are women only - don't know of any male facilities - but I guess they might be around.
Chinese Restaurants - there are quite a few - although their dishes are different to traditional Chinese ones, in order to cater for the tastes of the local clientele - but still close enough. I recommend 'Chopsticks' on Sultan Rd Jeddah.
6. Not strictly - but in Saudi everything depends on race and passport colour. As a Filipino you will perhaps be under closer scrutiny than white faces - but you can go out with female friends - the problem will be whether you happen to get caught up in one of the few muttawa checks that happens in restaurants and shopping centres every now and then!

thank you dragonladyoz, really appreciate it! :)

I  find Chinese food here quite expensive compared to the US and, of course, China (have also lived there).

Hello ironkey457.

For more interaction, a new thread has been created from your message on the Jeddah forum. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

There are plenty of Male Salons around; just ask when you arrive.

Best gym would be Z Club, yet that is about 10,000 a year. Also Gold Gym which is round 2.500Rial per year.

Students: If you have excellent classroom management you will be fine. It is a matter of engaging and hooking your students into learning. Like anywhere in the world.

You will have opportunites to meet many peole from your country and could mix behind closed doors, for example having a dinner or maybe going to one of the beaches north of Jeddah.

A really good salary for teaching is 19,000+Rial per month.
A middle of the road salary is round 11.500+ per month.
For non- native speakers from 7,500 per month. Lower than that is 6000 per month.

Like anywhere there is male rape, yet less here, yet it does occur. If the culprit is caught usually it is the death penalty or long term jail sentence with up to 1,000 lashes over the course of their sentence.In saying this, it is a deterrant for potential rapists.

The Religous Police here are probably the most tolerant of all in Saudi. Infact, they are excellant and generally leave the expats alone. It is because of this, they are respected more here than any other place in Saudi.

You will find it common to go out, where many locals don't wear the berka and some don't wear the hijab. Others have their abayas open. I have seen this everyday in the neighbourhood where I live. It is not only refreshing, it gives a sense of normality and one can see a real shift in the repressive dresscode. As for men, many in my neighbourhood wear long shorts,tee shirts etc which I have never seen any in other place in Saudi. I don't know if it is another set of rules for the super rich yet for many their dresscode remains Western. In any other place in Saudi Arabia they usually wear traditional clothes.

Unfortunately, if you are white, you are at the top of the peaking order; no such thing as equality. There are many Phillipinos, Indians, Pakistanis and Bangalodeshes in Saudi Arabia; millions in fact. Because of the large number of workers, you can find food from your country, sold in super markets.

Will you like it? It all depends of your personality too. Many do not like it here, where others love it. As a male you have an advantage in that you can drive a car or ride a bike. It makes all the differance if you own transport.

Jeddah is the most relaxed city to live in and a great experiance. You will find the Saudis friendly, however each person's point of view is different.
Come with an open mind, enjoy the beaches and breath-taking scuba diving. You will probably have a fantastic time. Good luck.

Good Information Suzan
seems that you really experience Jeddah lol :)

Are you a Teacher ?

hey Gee welcome to expat and welcome to Jeddah if you finalized your decision :)anyway all your questioned will be discuss and answered in PIDOS, we know that every OFW will take this seminar for it is neccesarily and its you who will benefit. i've been here in jeddah for 6 years and the worst thing i ever experienced is when i was in jail. :(

Why are you in jail, sir?

ironkey457 wrote:

I just have this mixed emotions and I still have time to back out or withdraw my application due to the many things that I've been hearing about working in KSA.

Do not believe what you hear from people, you must try it your self so you can judge!  :D

How strict are those" Religious police? What are the do's and dont's?

I wont be able to tell you the whole list now  :P
just kidding! anyhow, they are the normal do's and dont's you will find in any ethical and moral systems really.. and in case you did something wrong  :dumbom:  they will appreciate the fact that you are not fully aware of the rules so dont worry!!

What to bring and what not to bring?

normal stuff, avoid alcohol though..

Gym, facial center, Chinese restaurants( I was in China for 5 years and I love Chinese food : )...do these things exist over there?

yea sure..

Is it true you can not go out with female friends?

true.

Awful lot of questions huh? : ))

you can ask more if you need smthng!

Advise will truly be appreciated! Thanks guys!