Salaries in norway

please share you expérience and informations about salaries in norway , and taxes there , and possibilities to save money if you get minimum wage , thanks .

There is no minimum wage, but the general "lowest acceptable wage" is around 120kr/hr (or at least it was last year, mihgt be more now), ca 18000kr/month, full time.

Salaries are generally high, to accompany the cost of living.  Taxes, etc usually come to around a third of your income.

To save money, I would recommend not buying a television, using the library instead of your own internet connection, and cooking at home instead of eating out.  Buying beer from the supermarket is much cheaper than buying beer at a pub.  In cities with a university, there will be cheap options for eating out.  "Ethnic" shops generally have some good deals, especially when it comes to rice and beans.

Norway is really ,really expensive. Taxes are ridiculous, we are paying 30% taxes. Moving from Canada, our household income doubled, but we were still finding it tough to make ends meet some months. Also had to downsize from a three bedroom house to a one bedroom apartment. On min wage there is no chance you would save money, unless you were stacked with 6 other people in a small apartment.

It's a beautiful country, with great skiing and people, but generally a bad financial decision unless you a getting a great oil-industry salary

The average tax is about 25%. People earning less than 22 000 U$ pay about 9 %. Maximum taxes are about 32%. That is the bottom line, after-the-deductions sums though. Not what is says on the wage slips.

And some of the biggest deductions are difficult for short-time expats to get. Student loans, commuting, housing loans etc. You are advised to talk to the locals about deductions.

The most expensive items are eating out, alcohol, tobacco, gas and cars, which are all disproportionally expensive. Avoiding them will make it easier.

Wat about health care. Is it easy to find a job after completing masters from norway.

I think taxes here is low, after moving from Denmark. But hey, who am I to say hurrah? I am still paying taxes in Denmark even though I am "technically working" here.

Not sure about the average wage though.

serotonin wrote:

Hello,
I have an offer in Bergen and they told me that gross salary is between 355600-394000 NOK/annually ..you have an idea what this salary make in Net??
and if this salary is sufficient to save money?
Thx

Such a salary would come to around 20,000kr/m.  How much you'll save depends on how much you like to spend.  I also live in Bergen, and I spend around 10,000kr/m, so a net salary of 20,000kr/m would be enough for me to save a considerable amount.  For you, it might be less or might be more.