New Member...need some advice!!

I am waiting to hear to if I have been offered a new job in Kuala Lumpur. It sounds amazing and I have no concerns about moving from the UK to Malaysia. My only worry is the wage I'm being offered...the said it is £500 a month plus commission. My accommodation is being paid for by the company but is that still enough to live on?

Katie xx

Hello Katie.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Going through the other threads on the Kuala Lumpur forum can help.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi if you mean 2,500 RM per month then the job is very dodgy as employment pass min is 5,000 RM per month. My flat is 2,500 RM per month! As you are British you won't survive on 2,500 pm. Most Brits spend that on beer per month.

Sounds like a very dodgy employer to be honest

To live in Malaysia comfortably you need about 5,000rm clean net salary. I.e to live on your own without hassel etc. However, this cost can be reduce depends on your spending lifestyle.

Be positive come over and think this is an holiday travel.Positive side is once you are here I am sure you will expand your network and land into a better job soon or later.

Do a bit of travelling also to Combodia ( Angkor watt), Vietnam etc . I would take this chance to cover asia :)

I lived in England for 12 yrs- now back in K.L, I am a Malaysian myself so be positive and explore K

Hi Katie,

The amount should be enough for a moderate lifestyle and if you can adapt to the local food. Usually, European food is more expensive especially if you are going to have all your meals outside.

Desmond

Katie, see I will try to fix ur budget -

You will pay MYR 700 for a nice big room (but in a shared appt) in condo appt with swimming pool, gym and security.

If your job is not hectic, then you can surely try cooking at home (at least one time a day). Cooking at home costs just as less as 1MYR per meal!!!

Mc D hardly costs not more than 10MYR for lavish meal.

About traveling, petrol is soo cheap, hardly around 2.5RM per liter. You can but a second hand moped. Car can be a costly affair.

Good News -
One thing girls really enjoy in KL is the fashion clothing. It is really cheap in here (although much of it is made in china too, but is lasts at least 6 months)

Bad News -
Drinking is costly. Also, switching jobs within Malaysia is difficult because you need to get NoC from your previous employer, getting it can be difficult if you try to switch in very short period.

Most important, first 6 month the tax rate will be flat 26%!!! So you have to be careful on spending for the first 6 months :)