Moving to costa rica

looking for info on communities in costa rica, I am a retired H.S. band director/musician so I am interested in towns with some sophistication. Perhaps a musician who lives there?

Welcome on Expat-blog!

Thread moved on the Costa Rica forum. I hope another member will be able to help you.

All the best
Christine

Hola,
   I live in Puerto Viejo, on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica. It is a sweet little tourist town on the ocean - not very sophisticated but we do have music. There is quite a community of musicians here. I know several who make their living working online, one mixes and edits recordings. Some are retired but still like to play, others are too young to retire but they prefer life here than life in the fast lane of the US music industry. There are at least three or four local bands made of North Americans, Europeans and Costa Ricans. They play a variety of music - lots of classic rock and blues. The local music is Calypso and Reggae but you can also find my favorite, Salsa. And there is even an English speaking singing group made up of people who just like to sing.
   The only place you'll find any sophistication is San Jose. There are concerts of every kind there, along with theatre and other cultural events. But I don't know anybody who likes living in that big, noisy city. There are nice suburbs, like Alajuela, which is near the airport. Escazu has a huge expat population, many of whom are wealthy and more cultured. I'm sure you could find some musical connections there. But if you are looking for Costa Rican culture, Ecazu would not be the best choice. It is North American culture, moved south.
   Everywhere else in the country will be playing Latin music. Salsa is big, Merengue, Bachata, and Rancho (like American country music) can be heard on every corner. On the Pacific side you'll fine more tourist oriented music so there will be some North American popular music there.
   You need to take a trip and visit all these places. for more information check out my web site: http://www.travelexperiencecostarica.com
Buena Suerte,
Lisa

Costa Rica is a very musical country!  My husband plays/sings, and everywhere we have lived, we have met musicians, had music parties.

San Ramon has an artist/musician reputation, you might check it out.

Escazu and San Pedro (West and East of SJ, respectively) have the Jazz Cafe - venue for musicians. Lots more of course, especially in San Jose. Mainly we have seen live music in expat cafes (sunday jazz brunch, for example).

We chose to live in San Pedro (near UCR main campus) in part because of the music community. (I have to disagree in part w/ LisaValencia tho - Alajuela is not a suburb of San Jose; it is the capital of the Alajuela province, and the second largest city in CR.)

We lived in Orosi (small town outside Cartago), Alajuela, and San Pedro (which is now a suburb of San Jose, on the East side, but used to be its own town).

We pretty much determined that we have to make our own music events - haven't yet found anything like open mics, etc here.  Also, "buskers" are not very common - you do see some along the pedestrian mall in San Jose, but we haven't seen them anywhere else.

Almost every large town has a central park w/ a bandstand - usually Sunday mornings these host musical events of some kind.  Guadalupe's central park had a marching band (in place tho) performing last Saturday (Feria day).

good luck! looking forward to more music :-D
Julie