New to Doha - A few questions

I'm probably moving to Doha to live and work, I've lived in the GCC for 12 years but not Qatar, so a few simple questions:

1. I need a recommendation of an estate agent to rent an apartment.
2. What are the best value areas to live in, presumably away from the coast? Upmarket but not at a premium.
3. Is there MMI or A and E in Doha? Are there 'holes in the wall'?
4. Do you need a liquor licence?
5. Are there supermarkets such as Spinneys that sell pork?
6. Is there a choice of internet/mobile phone providers? If so which is best?
7. Can you drive on a UAE licence?

Thanks.

Hello gashead.

Concerning the accommodation, this article on Accommodation in Qatar may help. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Thank you.

Yes you need a liquor licence easily obtained with a letter from your sponsor - the only place you can buy pork is at the booze souq (the one and only - there were rumours of another coming).
Yes there are hole in the wall money machines - everywhere some in the malls even dispense in other currencies ( Carrefoure supermarkets also take other currencies at a set price advertised).  We do have spinneys but they dont sell 'the forbidden meat' only the alcohol shop does.
We have Vodaphone and Qtel Hala for mobiles and internet - there are some packages for cable phone and internet ( I only have a hala prepaid so cant comment on best but all are reasonable) I dont know about the driving licence except that British NZders etc must get a temporary licence until their RP comes through and then get a permanent one (5 years) all visitors can drive for 2 weeks  from arrival on a foreign licence - google this you will find more.
Good luck and enjoy

gashead wrote:

I'm probably moving to Doha to live and work, I've lived in the GCC for 12 years but not Qatar, so a few simple questions:

1. I need a recommendation of an estate agent to rent an apartment.
2. What are the best value areas to live in, presumably away from the coast? Upmarket but not at a premium.
3. Is there MMI or A and E in Doha? Are there 'holes in the wall'?
4. Do you need a liquor licence?
5. Are there supermarkets such as Spinneys that sell pork?
6. Is there a choice of internet/mobile phone providers? If so which is best?
7. Can you drive on a UAE licence?

Thanks.

You most welcome my friend.

I think you had good tips from the kiwiRee and Aurelie.
just want to add that some companies offer accomodations for their senior employees and if not in your case, I think it's better to share with friends or to find roomates.
You can use UAE driving Licence and you change it to Qatari one withen a minute.