English Club taken Over

Hello Nguoi Viet, my name is Hau. I would like to continue the English Club for the Vietnamese general population.  I believe that this club is very good for nguoi viet and since English classes are very expensive I believe that those who wants to learn should not be excluded. 

A little about myself. I am an Engineer, graduated in the US, looking for a job in HCMC, now. In the mean time I would like to learn to teach English. I have taught before, however only for grammar school kids, and it was volunteer. I would like to learn to teach, students that can benefit and also can give me inputs on how I do. 

My idea right now is to teach 2 times a week, maybe 3 if it's a good turn out.  I would like to do Thursday nights at 6pm-10pm and 1 day during the weekend from 1am-whenever. 

My Ideas:
1. I would like to explore the common problems of Nguoi Viet speaking English. Whatever problems that faces the Vietnamese people I would like to discuss and explore if there are many solutions to 1 problem.

2. Teach common speeches and even some business speeches. I believe that these are two different principles. Much like Vietnamese some words are slang or "street" terms and would be inappropriate when using for business. 

3. Q&A -I would like to hear any questions and in a group setting allow the students to answer each other questions.  I'll be the monitor and will correct the students if they are wrong. 

As of right now I do not have a location that is a class environment, however there are a few Library Cafes that would serve the purpose.  One place is in Q.1, Ciao Cafe either on Nguyen Hue or Ngo Duc Ke.  The second place I know of is the Library Cafe on Cong Hoa, Q.Tan Phu. 

Let me know of your opinions and or comments. 
Thank you and I hope that both you and I can benefit from this.

Nguyen, Hau (Joe) 

PS: There is no payment involve. All is free, except for paying for whatever drinks or food that you order for yourself.

I'm sorry the Title of this Blog should be "English Club Continue".  NOT "Taken Over"

Have you investigated the Youth Centre located at the first intersection above the traffic circle  at the Notre Dame Cathedral, and opposite the Diamond Plaza?

Ideal location, I believe, and city-owned.

Jaitch wrote:

Have you investigated the Youth Centre located at the first intersection above the traffic circle  at the Notre Dame Cathedral, and opposite the Diamond Plaza?

Ideal location, I believe, and city-owned.

Do you know if this place cost money to reserve?
If it is city own, do i have to go though the red tape from the city?

If you know these answer it would help a lot. Thank you.

You have learnt to become an engineer. I think its better to invest your time and energy to serve yourself and society as an engineer professionally.

ktnguyen wrote:

Hello Nguoi Viet, my name is Hau. I would like to continue the English Club for the Vietnamese general population.  I believe that this club is very good for nguoi viet and since English classes are very expensive I believe that those who wants to learn should not be excluded. 

A little about myself. I am an Engineer, graduated in the US, looking for a job in HCMC, now. In the mean time I would like to learn to teach English. I have taught before, however only for grammar school kids, and it was volunteer. I would like to learn to teach, students that can benefit and also can give me inputs on how I do. 

My idea right now is to teach 2 times a week, maybe 3 if it's a good turn out.  I would like to do Thursday nights at 6pm-10pm and 1 day during the weekend from 1am-whenever. 

My Ideas:
1. I would like to explore the common problems of Nguoi Viet speaking English. Whatever problems that faces the Vietnamese people I would like to discuss and explore if there are many solutions to 1 problem.

2. Teach common speeches and even some business speeches. I believe that these are two different principles. Much like Vietnamese some words are slang or "street" terms and would be inappropriate when using for business. 

3. Q&A -I would like to hear any questions and in a group setting allow the students to answer each other questions.  I'll be the monitor and will correct the students if they are wrong. 

As of right now I do not have a location that is a class environment, however there are a few Library Cafes that would serve the purpose.  One place is in Q.1, Ciao Cafe either on Nguyen Hue or Ngo Duc Ke.  The second place I know of is the Library Cafe on Cong Hoa, Q.Tan Phu. 

Let me know of your opinions and or comments. 
Thank you and I hope that both you and I can benefit from this.

Nguyen, Hau (Joe) 

PS: There is no payment involve. All is free, except for paying for whatever drinks or food that you order for yourself.

Sorry Joe, I didn't notice your second post. 

Feel free to come tomorrow and I'll give you some things to read that specifically concern Vietnamese students who study English and the difficulties that some experience.  Bring a USB, if you do choose to attend. 

If you're really wanting to teach, you're going to have to think about earning a teaching certificate.

that is a great ideal, many student in vietnam missing skill about English
i hope i can join to English club

i hope i can join to your Club. when does it start?

First meet-up is Thursday, 9-16. The location is not known yet, but I will announce it on Wednesday.

I hope I can join ur club!That's So useful!Tks ktnguyen so much!

I think its a good idea :)

Can I join it?

Can i enjoy it?

the time for tomorrow meet up will be at Cafe Ciao -40 ngo duc ke st. q.1. 

you can stop by any time from 6pm to 9pm.

40 Ngô Đức Kế, P. Bến Nghé, Q 1 is at Nguyen Hue - the first intersection on the side of Nguyen Hue that heads in the direction of city hall, just past the OSC-VTP Tower (heading in from the river).

But how to contact all of you? :)

Excellent idea!

WHERE/WHEN is the WEEKEND session occurring?

Pity it rained last night.

LoveLife wrote:

You have learnt to become an engineer. I think its better to invest your time and energy to serve yourself and society as an engineer professionally.

Who teaches engineers how to be engineers?  Teachers do, that's who.  If he wants to pursue a career in teaching English, then he certainly should. 

It's been noted several times in this forum that I used to be a lorry/truck driver, like that's something I should be ashamed of.  I decided to make a change, did it and am happy to say that I won't ever have to drive a truck again, not because it was a bad job {about 50K a year), but because I hated it.  The loneliness and isolation were a little too much for me.  I prefer a room full of screaming kids, nowadays.

Great idea! How can i join your club Ktnguyen. Can you leave me the contact! Gudluck for u!

There,s much competition in any field. If one wants to survive and to prosper, he/she should outdo others in the same field. Since the guy has spent some years in college and finished, I think he has some passion for his field and he should use what he has got in those years for his life,s sake.         

Teacher Mark wrote:
LoveLife wrote:

Who teaches engineers how to be engineers?  Teachers do, that's who.  If he wants to pursue a career in teaching English, then he certainly should. 

It's been noted several times in this forum that I used to be a lorry/truck driver, like that's something I should be ashamed of.  I decided to make a change, did it and am happy to say that I won't ever have to drive a truck again, not because it was a bad job {about 50K a year), but because I hated it.  The loneliness and isolation were a little too much for me.  I prefer a room full of screaming kids, nowadays.

I decided to make a change, did it and am happy to say that I won't ever have to drive a truck again

When you've been around the block a few times you learn that doing work you enjoy is a luxury that many don't have the luck to experience.

Little is more mind numbing than doing a job that you don't enjoy no matter what the pay.

So follow your heart, and live a longer, happier, more satisfying life.