Please recommend a good, cheap restaurant- especially for fish!

Hello!

I am not in the habit of going out to restaurants in Jeddah, but I now have a friend in this city with a car, so we're going out to dinner tonight and may do so more in the future. 

Since I'm a big fan of grilled fish (not fried), I'm in search of cheap options that you recommend.  Please list any and all places that come to mind.

Also, I'm open to other restaurant/takeaway suggestions.  My main priorities are that the places are cheap and tasty, and I do prefer hole-in-the-wall eateries to generic chains, but if you have a suggestion that is cheap, delicious, and in a more elegant setting, that's fine, too!

Many, many thanks in advance for your input.

I don't know much about Jeddah. But in Riyadh I usually go to Amu-Hamza with friends. We choose the stuff ourselves and ask them to grill. Najin and Hamour are my ever fav. Do ask about their buffet offers.

Asmak Nafoura is equally good too.

if you need very tasty and cheap sea-food restaurant in Jeddah, so you have to go to Bangala, this is the main local market for fish in Jeddah ( near Al Balad district) and there is a restaurant inside it. The fish is very fresh, they cook it grilled, fried, with sause etc. If you need any help contact me

Thank you for the replies.  We will probably try for Bangala very soon, though we didn't get there today.

Cheers.

try Amo- Hamza

Thanks for these responses -- I had the same query :)
If you like sushi, there are a couple of great places by the Crowne Plaza on the Corniche.

Dr. Ayk,
Do you have any ideas of the opening hours of the fish market /Bangala?

welcome, try the manhattan fish restaurant i am not sure if they have branches already but they have here in andalus street i just hope its cheap i never tried because we buy fresh fish at the port cheaper and fresh. :)

u can try small restaurants selling fish near the gold market in balad. called Souq Nahda. not great ambience but great food

goneglobal wrote:

Dr. Ayk,
Do you have any ideas of the opening hours of the fish market /Bangala?

Bangala market open daily from early morning ~5-6am. Best time to go is before midday prayer.
Be prepared for the terrible smell which may reduce your appetite.

hello Allons-y!
have u tried AMO HAMZA yet? they are right, it is relatively inexpensive & well-known for grilled fish. the ambience is more of a family restaurant, complete wirh a play area, so expect a lot of children running around.
during special occassions, u might wanna try BAMBOO RESTAURANT. prices are a bit higher than AMO HAMZA but fish/seafood dishes are also good. besides u get good ambience (all-bamboo decor) plus peace & quiet.

bon a petit!

Hi, Rockerchick.  I haven't been to Amo Hamza yet, but I hope to get there sometime.  Thanks for the info!