Lifeguard certification

Hi folks,

I just got a new teaching job and they want me to become a certified lifeguard, so that I can be present for when kids swim at the pool on-site at the school.

Does anyone have any idea where I can take a lifeguard class in HCMC and when I can start? 

***Tôi nói được tiếng Việt -- tôi có thể tham gia một lớp dễ nếu tôi phải.***

Thanks for your advice!

Casey

Interesting subject, but I have no clue and will follow this topic. Hopefully someone can get you a hint. At least your school should be able to tell you, where you possible might get certified and what they accept.

As a matter of fact, if they don't know, they burden you with a lot of responsibility combined with an uncertain qualification, as you maybe never know before, who will inspect on this and what they might demand.

Casey,

Tell them to recommend you one!  The majority of Vietnamese do not swim, let alone teach.  Somebody is sending you through the loops.  God!  I am not too sure if the Vietnamese Navy is able to do that???

Best of luck,
Howie

Thanks for the responses guys.  It is a good job and I'm very excited to work there, so don't worry about my being given the run-around.  The school just moved to a new campus that features a swimming pool.  It's an expensive international school, mostly for ex-pats.  So they want their latest hire (me) to be able to swim with the students during P.E. classes. 

I asked them already what they have in mind for certification and they said anything is fine.  I've already got the job so it's not like some sort of hoop I have to jump through. 

Does anyone go to a pool with a lifeguard?  Can you ask where they got certified and let me know?

Thanks for your help.

no one ever seen here in NT, they must be drowned, long time ago, before I arrived here. Even the older Vietnamese can't remember them

I can ask my gym about where they got their lifeguards certified. We have plenty of lifeguards so maybe they are certified. Will report back tomorrow.

Why don't you contact a life guard and ask?

< http://vn.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Isabel/Dickinson >< http://www.linkedin.com/title/teacher/a … -minh-city >
These have names of life guard qualified people in HCMC you might contact for suggestions.

I had one of my (bilingual) researchers look and she couldn't find anything!

Hi Jaitch,

The LinkedIn idea is a good one.  I just made a profile and wrote a couple of messages to people who might know.  Thanks for the tip.

Hi Phi Long,

It'd be great if your gym's lifeguards could refer me somewhere.  I would pay for private lessons that result in a certification.  Any course or training of any kind will do.  Thanks!

Casey

Here's the info I received.

Tomorrow (Monday) opening of the course for about 3 days.

Fee - 700,000 VND

Bring a copy of the passport and two 3x4 size photo
Health Check Certificate (can submit later)

Address No1 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai - Yet Kieu Center

Contact Mr. Ven 0906976994 for assistance. 8AM.

Hi Phi Long,

Thanks a ton for your advice.  I went this morning and registered.  Wish me luck: I'm a little clueless and am not as athletic as the other people present. 

But the instructors there are patient and coöperative with me so far and I'm hopeful I can complete the course without embarrassing myself too badly.

Again many thanks!
Casey

As I've been told this before here, "Good lucky" :D