Current cost of living

I'm newbie and I'm soon moving to Chiang Mai for work....
Might need some help to settle down :)
Since I am still negotiating with my future employee, I would like to gather some infos with regards to the cost of living.
What minimum salary do I have to consider satisfying?
Thank you!
See you soON

you can live a good life if you earn about $2,000 a month. however, about your expected salary, it really depends on your expertise, skill, qualification, and experience.

i'm in BKK, so i can't help much for your settlement in Chiang Mai. but if you are looking for advise about living in thailand or want to have a trip in bangkok, contact me ;)

I'm definitly visiting BKK once I'm there :)
Thank you for tue hint about my salary.
Ciao

It costs a lot less to live in Chiang Mai as in BKK, especially with housing.  But USD $2K lets you live quite well.  A nice apartment for one will be less than $500.  I wrote an article about this on my blog:  http://americanexpatchiangmai.com/how-m … hiang-mai/

Ho Greg,
The thing is I'm having troubles converting currencies, so i would like you to talk in bahts....
Do 28,000 BHT serve the purpose of comfortable living? 30, 000?
Read your blog, I get your point and it is funny how you can't eradicate the  idea that you you can manage to make a good living in Africa, SE Asia etc with no money from Western minds' :)
Very funny indeed.
As for food, I gathered that is easier for veggies to find dedicated restaurants...
Are there many Westerners? Any blacks? Italians?
I can't wait to come out there :)

Clearly I meant "hi Greg", but my mobile thinks he knows better...

Hello Ndway:  Sorry about just writing in US dollars --- most of the readers on my blog are in America.  USD $1500 is 45000 Baht.  USD $1200 is 36000 Baht.  Exchange rate is $1 USD = 30 Baht.  Plenty of Italians in Chiang Mai --- my next door neighbor is Italian.  And black --- from Africa, the US and from Europe.  Very large expat community in Chiang Mai.  Largest group is Brits, followed by Germans and Aussies.  Then about an even mixture of French, Italian, other Europeans and American (not so many Americans because so much further away than alternative expat locations).  Because of such a big mix of nationalities, there are restaurants of almost every cuisine, and nowadays most (including Thai restaurants) have vegetarian food on the menu.  My family owns a little restaurant that serves Western food (mainly American) and Thai, and we have plenty of Vegetarian dishes.  Plus CM is a university town, so that brings out a lot of coffee shops and entertainment for young people (like discos, etc.).  It's a nice town, and much more relaxed than big cities like BKK.

Being Italian, I am extremely picky when it comes to food, but being Congolese I tend to be satisfied with rice  served as a complement to pretty much every dish...
Being mixed myself, I love variety, so I guess I'll be in my element out there.
Are there any multilingual libraries?
That's my second biggest source of concern(first was getting my hair done, absent black women :) )...

Have not seen or heard of any Italian libraries, or even English or other European languages.  I have run across a Korean library and several Japanese libraries.  Maybe there is something at Chiang Mai University, which is quite large with lots of international professors.  I think if this is a factor, you better bring plenty of Italian books with you.  I also don't know of any formal Italian social group in Thailand, but there are many Italian restaurants in Chiang Mai run by Italians. We actually have been talking with a couple of young Italian guys that may want to buy our restaurant and convert it to Italian cuisine.  So there seems to be plenty of Italians around town, but I am not plugged into that community.

Main European languages would work, not necessarily Italian libraries or bookshops.
Bad news...but at least I know now.
You've been so very helpful, thank you soooooo much :)

Just read this blog and I will say I do not agree with the cost being expensive to live in Chiang Mai. This city is noted for being one of the cheapest places to live in the world. I am a retired Canadian living in a three bedroom house on 6000 baht a month. This includes water. If you look you will find there are many places like mine available. If you need assistance to find, just contact me.  Norman L.

As I stated on my blog posting, there are many that can live in Chiang Mai considerably cheaper --- no question.  I ran into a young guy that is teaching English in CM and he is paying 2400Baht per month for a decent (to him) studio apartment (that's about USD $75).  And for those that can go to the markets and pick up their own fresh food for meals, food costs can be very low.  I get asked all the time by people looking to move to Chiang Mai what a good amount would be to live comfortably for most people, and that would be around $1200 USD (about 36000 Baht), where a single person can live well, but there is always someone that can do it cheaper.
Paying 6000Baht per month for a large house is possible for sure, but that is more what a decent studio apartment would rent for.  There are houses for rent on Thai Visa Classifieds --- a good source for rentals (http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/ads/search/)--- starting at 5500Baht per month, but most of the nicer homes run 18,000Baht or more.
http://americanexpatchiangmai.com

A doctrinal dispute is arising here :)
I can see where both of you are coming from:: Namron says that the cost of living is lower than in the West in absolute terms and Greg says that given a lower cost of living, there is still a margin of appreciation - so to speak, which allows every individual to pick the most satisfying alternative as to decent accomodation, lifestyle...
I am young and adaptable, I hope I'l overcome the trade-off between comfort and saving.
But why did Namron feel the need to point put that his accomodation includes water?

Ndwey, I think namron11 mentioned his rented place includes water because other places may require you to pay a separate bill.

Its always important you inquire about untilities when looking to rent. If your required to pay seperate bill for water and electric usage then ask cost per unit.  Some owners will charge you several baht per unit over the current government rate just to make a few extra baht. Remember a couple baht per unit can add up quickly depending on your monthly usage.

Hi Straydog,

Uhm...you mean that if I am not required to pay a separate bill for utilities, I have to assume  that I am being charged with the current government rate, but if the potential owner asks for separate bill, I better check the current rate first?
I'm not sure about the climate over there, but I might need several showers a day before getting used :)
And how about the Internet and Wi-Fi coverage? Is 3G technology working there? Or a more traditional modem should serve the purpose?

Your pic is somewhat frightening :)

Please don't worry. A water bill --- even if it is padded a little --- will not be big money.  Nor electricity.  Almost every apartment building will include wifi (3G) and even TV satellite.  I live in a Moobahn (housing community) just southwest of central CM, and they include the water in the community dues that covers the gate guards, swimming pool, fitness center, tennis court, lavish landscaping,  & garbage pickup 3X per week.  My bill for a large 4 BR/3 BA house w/two kitchens totals 6000 Per Year (500Baht per mo).  Go ahead and take a lot of showers.   
But do expect that landlords and almost everybody else will pad the bills just a little bit. As a farang (foreigner), it is assumed (by many Thais) you are rich.

Ndwey just remember when looking for a place to live ask what is included in monthly rent and what is not.  If paying seperate for utilities ask what the rate per unit is for water and electric.  Wifi and TV might require monthly fees if not included.

For electric I have been charged 6 baht per unit in the past when the government rate was only 3.5 per unit. If you have air con and use often that will run the bill up quickly.  Current rate I think is around 3.8 baht per unit and seems to vary in tenths month to month.

Water as Greg says will be cheap usually 200-300 hundred baht per month if seperate bill.

As for me being a supposedly rich farang escaping from the doom of the West, I'll make sure the autochtonous understand that I am a Southern European with African blood in her veins, which is basically the very negation of opulence.
Is the use of English language common among landlords :) ? I know that Thailand has a historically close relationship with the US, so I expect most people to speak English, at least better than my fellow countrymen.
Then, of course, I'll learn Thai as fast as I can.

How about public transportation?

Ndwey check link below for more Chiang Mai info.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/28- … mai-forum/

Ndwey wrote:

Hi Straydog,

Your pic is somewhat frightening :)

Most people that comment say it makes them smile.

No, no. It's hella scary.
You look like a  sort of secret experiment secretly conducted in some secret location on some secret citizen by some secret shadow government............

I can teach you Thai. I've lived in Thailand for 35 years.
Most Thais don't speak English, but they tends to understand English. I myself just moved to Chiangmai. For me, it's better than Bangkok.

namron11 wrote:

Just read this blog and I will say I do not agree with the cost being expensive to live in Chiang Mai. This city is noted for being one of the cheapest places to live in the world. I am a retired Canadian living in a three bedroom house on 6000 baht a month. This includes water. If you look you will find there are many places like mine available. If you need assistance to find, just contact me.  Norman L.

I second this.

Hello Ndwey,

I am Vicky, live in Bangkok but my hometown is in Chiangmai.

My parents still live in Chiangmai.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask me :)

I will be glade to help you ^_^

Welcome to Chiangmai.

Vicky.

Ndwey wrote:

I'm newbie and I'm soon moving to Chiang Mai for work....
Might need some help to settle down :)
Since I am still negotiating with my future employee, I would like to gather some infos with regards to the cost of living.
What minimum salary do I have to consider satisfying?
Thank you!
See you soON

Minimum salary for what job? I would be more concerned about being paid fair wage for what your job entails instead of what will make you comfortable here.

The cost of living is relatively low in Chiang Mai and also in Bangkok. I personally would not want to live off anything less than 60,000-70,000 baht a month, bare minimum, but I have two children and a wife and the kids are in a private school.

I have a good sized 4-bedroom, 2-bath house in Bangkapi for 7000 baht a month. I am far enough out of the city center to be away from the hordes of tourists and expats yet close enough to get anywhere fairly easily.

Two questions of those on the board and I apologize for veering off the subject:

Why come to Thailand to hang out or be with people from your own country, whether it's in Chiang Mai or Pattaya?

Chiang Mai is nice and I have spent alot of time there. It's the one place with tourists where I would live. I spent a week up in the mountains with a Thai friend and his family, out in the middle of nowhere, and it was fantastic. I need to see if I can find the photos I took of the place.

Pattaya, Phuket, Koh Samui, Koh Samet - can't stand em. Too many tourists for my taste. A few years ago I stumbled upon a small island, Koh Siboya, with about 20 people on it at the time. I paid 500 baht a night for a two-story bungalow on the beach. The entire trip, we only saw the people in the restaurant and one other couple. That was awesome...but I digress.