Moving to Brazil to work as self-employed online editor-entrepreneur?

Bom dia friends of Brazil,

Tired of the decay of the Italian society and of all its problems (high taxation to finance a gigantic state apparatus of 3.5+ millions employees minding only about themselves, constant quarreling between all social categories / persons, infinite bureacracy, stereotyped hypocritical society etc.) I am thinking of moving to Brazil.

I know it is not paradise (but still "O Pais tropical"), yet I am more interested in the human qualities of Brazilians (which I find sweet, or gentler than Europeans), and I am seeking a country still with enthusiasm, where continuing my profession, IE self-employed editor of internet websites of tourism. Basically, with my website(s) I sell publicity of tourist accommodations, currently of Italian properties, which I would like to continue also when living in Brazil, and naturally I could start doing the same (with another website) about Brazilian properties.

If you were kind enough to read the above... I wil be grateful if you could answer my question please.
Can one move to Brazil, and legally stay there, as a self-employed online professional? I would bring everything, including the necessary funds to buy my home (and my office, or home-office). In essence, I desire to *migrate* to Brazil, without asking a job, I would bring my own (and possibly hire Brazilians). I speak English, Italian, Spanish, French, and think I could learn Portoguese in a few months (how can one resist to its musical charm?). Practically, I am looking for a new country, a NEW HOME, to give the best of myself, at work and especially with other people.
Is this possible? Sensible? Complicated?
Many thanks - Obrigado.
Mauro

Hi Mauro,

Since you are self-employed finding a job in Brazil won't be your problem. Yours is a bit more complicated.

You would require a permanent visa in order to stay in Brazil permanently or for any more than 180 days in a year. Permanent visas are issued for a number of reasons the most common is marriage to a Brazilian national. You could get a permanent visa as an investor which requires a minimum investment of R$150 thousand (about 59 thousand Euros), this also requires submitting a business plan, statment of the sector you investment would be made in, the geographical area in which it would be made and number of jobs it would create. The permanent visa for investors is issued with a 3 year valididy and to renew it one must prove that the business still exists and is operating and that the investment funds have not been repatriated.

So as you can see the hurdle that you must jump is not bringing your work with you, but rather an actual cash investment.

If you were to come on a tourist visa and stay only 6 months out of each year then certainly you could work at your online business 'informally', however it could not be registered as a business, issue receipts which require CNPJ, etc.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Thanks a million William, I'm impressed with your kindness and proficiency. I'll ponder well about your information.

I know you are a Canuck. My sister moved to Canada years ago, married to an English-born Canadian. Her son, my nephew, is a successful actor, script writer and producer of popular CND tv series. I thought about Canada too, but... it is too cold, in many ways...

Obrigado, Mauro.

Hi again Mauro,

I hear ya! Nowadays Canada is too damned cold for me too. I've been here for over ten years now.

The bureaucracy here in Brazil is incredible especially for foreigners and for investment, guess that's why the country hasn't lept into the 'First World' despite its consistently growing economy.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog