Advice for school

Hi,

We are moving to Singapore in December this year and I am desperately needing some advice from families (South African if possible) on the government schools in Singapore.

More specifically, how your kids have adapted.  I have looked at international schools but find their fees rather ridiculous.  I would like to put my son into the government school system.  He is coming over on a long term visit visa and will be 13 on 1 January. In SA he is just completing grade 6. What grade will he fall into in Singapore?

I believe he will have to a an assesment exam with MOE. We have however just missed the September cut off date by 1 day.  I believe they have another registration period in January for enrolment in March or April (not too sure now).

Has anyone else experienced this?  What should we expect? Do the kids catch up the work quickly?

Also, I believe we don't have a choice in school if he goes into government school. Even though I really like Bedok Secondary and Victoria school . What happens then with the accomodation we are looking at? Will they look at schools in the district we live in or will they send him to a school in a different district?

I have information overload from the internet and not sure what to do anymore.

Would love to hear some real life story or advice to just help guide us in our decision here.

Thank you

It is VERY difficult to get a foreign child into a Singapore government school.
Basically, there are various waiting list priorities, with those on high priority (Singapore citizens) able to choose first, then Permanent Residents and last all other foreigners. If you get a seat for your child at all, it is probably in an unpopular school far from where you live.
It is easier (but still not hazzle-free) for the international schools, but then there are fees.