Is 16k NOK good enough for food?

Hi,

I am soon to be relocated to Oslo. I have been offered a short term assignment work in Oslo. Wondering if 15k NOK a month (after tax) is good enough for two persons food and leisure in Oslo?

accommodation, phone, internet, transportation are all being covered and excluding from the above 15k NOK.

Appreciate comment and advice from everyone.

getting nervous: If accommodation and all costs are paid for , then NOK 15000 monthly is sufficient for two persons.

I suggest each of you also try to save a little of the amount.

I think it should be ok to startwith.

It's more than enough considering what is covered

Hello gettingnervous.

This thread on Cost of living in Norway may help as well. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

you can have a look at the apartments that are available from finn.no
I guess, if you stay inside Oslo( reachable within metro ) then you might get an apartment for 7-8k NOK, and travel pass per person would cost you 620 NOK.

For international calls, use a calling card (50- 100 NOK for 1800/3000 minutes,available in any store near grønland ) , use a Telio phone connection ( 175 NOK p.m)

Fo internet, different providers, from 200-400 NOK depending upon the speed.

For food, buy cheap stuff from Grønland area, where there are lots of asian shops.

Remember to buy in large quanities to save more money, for eg 20kg rice might cost you less that 2, 5Kg rice.

Good luck.

I am vegeterian.for one month What will be the cost for food

For 1 person:

About 3000 Norwegian kroners a month.

Meat is more expensive than vegetarian food in Norway, however here are some heavy priced non-meaty items:

1 litre of milk: Over 2 euro

1 bottle of cola at a newsagent: More than 2 euro

1 Cappuchino take-away: 2 œ to 3 euro

Potatoes and rice can be a bit pricey and vegetables are ok I supose, but it all depends on your lifestyle.

If you only cook at home then you can manage with 2000 Norwegian kroners monhtly.

If you want to eat simple Indian dishes such as chappati, dhaal, rajma etc then it will obviously become even cheaper.

It is very expensive to eat at restaurants in Norway and a bill for 1 person is probably around 50 euro.

You can buy Indian food items from Pakistani or Arabic owned grocery stores, and the general shopping at supermarkets for a cheap option. Diary products will always be over-priced though because milk costs over 2 euro per litre then yoghurt, cheese will also be expensive.

Sravani wrote:

I am vegeterian.for one month What will be the cost for food

This is ok and its more than norwegians normaly use for food and leisure.

Alcohol, red meat, sigaretts, eating in restaurant is very expensive in Norway.

Welcome to Norway!

Yes you are actually very right - but I do think it somehow has health benefits because red meat, cigarettes and alcohol is the unhealthy stuff :D

zeast wrote:

This is ok and its more than norwegians normaly use for food and leisure.

Alcohol, red meat, sigaretts, eating in restaurant is very expensive in Norway.

Welcome to Norway!