Wannabe expat dreaming of peru

I need help, I THINK I would like to live in Peru. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated, things like cost of living, housing, medical, expat communities , how about my dog, can I bring him? Feel free to advise and inform.     T U from Ladyzen

Hi Ladyzen and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.;)

Harmonie.

Hello there,

First you need to have a reference on where u`d like to live. Depending on that prices can be arranged. Lima city for example is quite cheap.... can find menus for 6 soles (2 us dollars) living should be around 150us.  and publi transportation to me no more than 5 bucks a day. if u decide living in provinces the prices are lower, with and exception of cuzco, but once u get to know the places your costs shouldnt surpass the 300 hundreds bucks a month.
hope it can serve u
bye

Hi Harmonie, thanks for the info, really appreciate it as I know nothing about Peru in the way of expenses, I just need a place to keep warm and good food. Rather basic stuff just like me .                    Thanks and have a good day Ladyzen

[Moderated]

hi thre lady greetings from peru,you need first :learn some spanish  no many ppl speak english here and well then just think in what kind of expierence ur looking for, contry  andeans or becah citiesmayb the jungle.coasts aint high just in cuzco and some citites in the amazon then lima mmm it depends on the area where u gonna rent

anything u need to know feel free to ask ...

yes,,, you can bring your dog.... but there is a protocol,,, in fact there are two...one with Peru of course to gain entry and the other is with the airlines to arrange transport.

You need a certificate of health from Vet and all inoculations must be up to date. The certificate of health must be issued within 10 days of your flight....
The Temperature at the airport and any airport stops on the way and at the arrival airport [ probably Jorge Chevaz - Lima ] cannot be 85F or above. If so the dog or can cannot be onboarded.
You do not have to send your pet Cargo.. you can bring to the ticketing window and add as a luggage [ for a fee ]
Call the airlines for specific instruction but you will definitely need a carries outfitted for flight including Tags.... and water and food,, and your vet can give you tranqs for the ride,,, [ not for you,, for your pet LoL! ]
You will have to pay a fee in Lima and likely you will be able to pick up immediately / no quarantine......

pistachio

I just wanted to weigh in on the dog question, as there has already been great info provided for you other questions.  If you are coming to Cusco and you bring your dog, DO NOT let them put your pup in cargo, as I have been informed that the planes are not pressurized in the cargo hull, which means..well...no air for him/her to breathe essentially.  Also, I would just like to say, if you're planning on permanently moving here I can understand wanting to bring your dog, but if you'll be here for less than an year, or 6 months lets say, I highly suggest leaving him with a loved one in your home country. My fiancé and I got a puppy here and took the absolute best care of him and before he was 5 months old, he found poison somewhere in the park we think while we were out for a walk, and he very sadly died.  This is disturbingly common here for dogs to be poisoned ( and as I said, we could not do anything to prevent this....he was our little baby and somehow found poison somewhere..I've since been informed that some highly disturbed individuals leave packets of poison  around where dogs and cats will find them.) I'm not trying to scare you at all, just want you to be informed on that particular issue here. I live in Cusco, I know this is an issue here, and I have heard that it is also an issue in Lima, but I am not sure about other cities, so that might be something to look into if you are moving elsewhere! Have a great trip when you do come here!!

For specific info regarding Airline specs for transport of animal and pets go to this website:
https://www.aacargo.com/shipping/animals.jhtml#options

Now,, as to the accomodations provided by Airlines in general here is an excerpt from the website:
General Information
Aircraft Travel Compartment Information

Animals are transported in the same compartments as baggage, mail and other cargo. These compartments are pressurized and maintain a temperature range from 50-70 degrees Fahrenheit.

I am posting this not to contradict anyone elses advice or information but simply to assert what I know of these issues....

pistachio