How to obtain a visa, pls advice

Hello everyone!

I am planning to leave the USA to live a slower life somwhere else.

I ve been to Fortaleza and I liked it.  I have also a friend that lives there.

I know I am allowed to stay 90 days + 90 extra per year;
My plan is to stay permanently obtaining a VISA;

SOme suggested me thare is a Business Visa that one can obtain
easily: does anyone knows how easy is to obtain this visa?

How much does it cost and if a initial deposit is required?

i d really appreciated;

thank you

Rob

Hi Rob,

The VIPER (permanent visa) for investors requires a minimum investment of R$150,000 or just under $75,000 USD. The applicant must be over the age of 18 years and the application must be accompanied by a business plan, sector in which the investment is being made, number of jobs it will create, location in Brazil where the investment will be applied, etc.

Once accepted a permanent visa with a 3 year limited validity will be issued, before it expires renewal requires proof that a) the funds have not been repatriated, and b) the business still exists and is operating.

The investment can be made either in an existing business or one can chose to start up a new business.

Hope this answers your questions.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

hi woodward,

it seems a high amount to invest 75k....too high for me

as far as you know what is the easier way to obtain a visa for Brazil?   maybe  a student visa?

or do many stay 90 days and they extend for 90 at embassy?

or they do a border run to Uruguay or other countries?

wjwoodward wrote:

Hi Rob,

The VIPER (permanent visa) for investors requires a minimum investment of R$150,000 or just under $75,000 USD. The applicant must be over the age of 18 years and the application must be accompanied by a business plan, sector in which the investment is being made, number of jobs it will create, location in Brazil where the investment will be applied, etc.

Once accepted a permanent visa with a 3 year limited validity will be issued, before it expires renewal requires proof that a) the funds have not been repatriated, and b) the business still exists and is operating.

The investment can be made either in an existing business or one can chose to start up a new business.

Hope this answers your questions.

Cheers,

Hi Rob,

A tourist visa is valid for 90 days, you extend it for a further 90 days at the Regional Headquarters of the Federal Police nearest where you live. It is a very simple process (here it's called 'prorrogação de estado') and it must be done at least 3 weeks before your 90 days expires. You will need to show that you have funds sufficient to support yourself for the additional 90 days, and you will probably be asked to show them your new return ticket once you have re-booked your flight home. They will also want to know where you're staying, phone number and all that good stuff too.

A student visa is only issued for the length of time you are actually taking a course. Don't know anything about renewing one of them. They are a bit of a bother to obtain because you need to actually have the course arranged, booked, get a letter of confirmation from the educational institution, show sufficient funding for the length of your stay, etc. But, if you are planning on taking a university course for example then you could get a visa that is valid for up to 3 or 4 years depending on how long your program is. Worth thinking about.

The only other way to get a permanent visa that would apply to you is either marry a Brazilian, enter into a common-law (stable union) that lasts for a period of time, or have a Brazilian child.

Cheers,