How to marry in Egypt? Also I'm a newbie here

Hello,

Need some big help...
After a 3 year relationship it's time to get married.
Applied for a 6 month marriage visitor visa for my Egyptian fiance
to come to the UK but unfortunately it was refused so wedding here
is cancelled.
Next step is to marry in Egypt but I don't even know where to start
I'm still living in UK an after marriage will be moving to Egypt.
We are also both Christian.

Can advice be given?

Kind Regards

Victoria :)

Hi Victoria,

welcome to Expat.com! :)

You may check other threads on Egypt forum as well.

Best of luck,
Christine

Hi christine.
I got married here in egypt and is was very simple and easy.
I found this website with a few bits of info on it.
Hope it helps.Feel free to ask and other questions if needed :)

Hi,

All great so how to start?
where do we go from here? papers etc?

I got married in Egypt and its not simple and its certainly not easy and can be very long and tiring. BUT if you know what you're doing, what you need and where to go - there are many places so have taxi money! - then its not impossible.

Sorry I don't have the memory to hep with exact details but there are posts on here that can help you and Google is a great tool as well as the respected Consulates involved.

Good luck :D

first of all, if you are a British citizen, try to get your certificate of no impediment BEFORE you leave.
You can also obtain it from the British Embassy in Cairo.

In order to use the NIC obtained from registry in UK must be apostilled by FCO (see their website, takes a few days), afterwards has to be attested by the Egyptian Consulate in London.

All this can be done by post, and through an Apostille services agency (google it).

You do not have to translate your documents into Arabic, if they are in English.

If you ahem been married before and have divorced, you need to bring your original Absolute Decree, (Apostilled + Embassy attestation).

The certificate of no impediment has a validity of 3 months only.

BEWARE: I am sure that many relationships between Egyptians and foreign nationals are genuine, but other have a fraudulent intent, (visa, money, nationality etc).

If your fiancé does not introduce you to his family, you should smell a rat. Egyptians from good families, both Muslim and Christians, doe not have extra marital relationship, and usually marry within a circle of friends and relatives. Some men are already married, but they won't tell the foreign partner. If while going through marriage procedure the man says it is too difficult to get married in Egypt, it means he is already married. If he does not introduce you to his family and he proposes orfy (unofficial marriage only) he is probably married, or has no serious intentions.

Please contact me privately if you need any further assistance.

I agree with erikabrio about her section called "BEWARE", just beware that is all.

Otherwise, I wish you an easy and happy marriage.

I agree ... but even if married they can marry another woman in egypt legally unless they are applying for a visa in another country with first wife if foreign. to make the marriage go faster in the ministry money talks. and it wil still take hours of waiting i think. nothing in egypt is that fast LOL

erikabrio wrote:

first of all, if you are a British citizen, try to get your certificate of no impediment BEFORE you leave.
You can also obtain it from the British Embassy in Cairo.

In order to use the NIC obtained from registry in UK must be apostilled by FCO (see their website, takes a few days), afterwards has to be attested by the Egyptian Consulate in London.

All this can be done by post, and through an Apostille services agency (google it).

You do not have to translate your documents into Arabic, if they are in English.

If you ahem been married before and have divorced, you need to bring your original Absolute Decree, (Apostilled + Embassy attestation).

The certificate of no impediment has a validity of 3 months only.

BEWARE: I am sure that many relationships between Egyptians and foreign nationals are genuine, but other have a fraudulent intent, (visa, money, nationality etc).

If your fiancé does not introduce you to his family, you should smell a rat. Egyptians from good families, both Muslim and Christians, doe not have extra marital relationship, and usually marry within a circle of friends and relatives. Some men are already married, but they won't tell the foreign partner. If while going through marriage procedure the man says it is too difficult to get married in Egypt, it means he is already married. If he does not introduce you to his family and he proposes orfy (unofficial marriage only) he is probably married, or has no serious intentions.

Please contact me privately if you need any further assistance.

Hiya Victoria,

I am in the same boat as you. We know that the visa may be an issue so we have agreed to marry and then work on the visa, even though it may take quite a while. But, this has put my mind at ease I must admit.

It seems to me that there is very little general information as the British Embassy in Cairo website is no longer available....or maybe that is just my computer playing games with me? But I received a very unhelpful automated response several weeks ago, and the UK Boarders Agency pretty much only deals with the immigration side of things (obviously).

The replies have been very helpful but I'm afraid that I don't understand some of the terminology, "In order to use the NIC obtained from registry in UK must be apostilled by FCO"....what?

Sorry for being a bit D'oh, but what is this please?

Thank you

Lynn

this post is like a year old. maybe she changed her mind..lol

Hello Lynn -> Do not hesitate to start a new thread on the Egypt forum for more visibility. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie