Just made it to Phnom Penh, looking to meet ex-pats

Hey all, I just arrived in PP yesterday and I am looking for people to meet up with and explore the city. Hit me up, I'm more than down to get a few drinks, hit up a club or two, play music (brought my saxophone), and have a good time

Let me know!

heya , just saw SAXOPHONE  in your post

check out  my latest post on ART CRIB  :)

Alina

hey Ian, I'm super fresh in town and going to start to work tomorrow..but if you're up for a beer at the weekend let me know..I'm definitley into music.
cheers
marco

Try this

http://www.facebook.com/PhnomPenhAfterWork

Forgive my longwinded nature, I'm passionate about my home. So I'm 26 and I've been living in Phnom Penh for about 18 months, therefore I have some suggestions. As I've been staying in Phnom Penh first at Mad Monkey Guesthouse then at One Up hotel next to Wat Lanka I have a perspective that is based out of the BKK1 area of town, near the Independence Monument. I met my first friends here when I started hanging out at Top Banana, they have a rooftop bar and its a comfy environment for talking to strangers. Also I wont go into it much, but there are organizations and events in the city that make it easy to meet people. (see NERD NIGHT Phnom Penh or couch surfers for example) As an expat in the city I have met many travelers simply from hanging out in the local bars clubs or guesthouses. For nightlife Check out Pontoon and Heart of Darkness (clubs for westerners) later at night and before that try some of these bars, they are my favorites for meeting people my age. Equinox (has live music/bands), Top Banana(has live music/DJs), Blue Dog(has live music), Liquid (classy), Love bar(goes till sunrise), 3 Mango (daytime hangout), White Rabbit( I like to recover here), Zeppelin (huge rock music record collection), Aussie XL (great for sports and after dinner drinks) Paddy Rice (hold events occasionally) and Absinthe Bar (good place to start for street 51). Thats the rundown of my suggestions for meeting people. Anyone got new suggestions for me, I'd love to check em out as well.

Hey IamLiam, tks for your suggestions, very much exausthive! I'll be checking out some of these places in the days to come
Marco

Hey Ian,

I'm from London and hope to relocate to PP in December. I just wondered how you are finding it, whether it's easy to meet people etc - I'm a bit nervous about moving as I know no one currently!

Any thoughts very welcome!

Emma

Hey Emma :)

First and foremost, you're going to love Cambodia. The people are extremely friendly, the town is very easy to get around, and the beers are cheap ;)

If you haven't already found an apartment I'd suggest you spend a week or longer at a guest house. You will meet a ton of people there. I happened to stay at the Blue Dog guest house and I made a lot of friends. I'd say you definitely without a doubt check that one out. They also have a bar downstairs and the entire staff including the owners will make you feel right at home.

Also, are you going there for work or will you be looking?

As for food, get the street food! (plus it is a lot tastier) Or food from the small restaurants ran by locals because everywhere else there will overcharge you.

I have a friend there who is currently getting Khmer lessons for $5 a session if you are interested in that.

What you are going to love most about South-east Asia is its ridiculously cheap ways of travel. I took a bus from Phnom Penh to Saigon, Vietnam for just $10 and the bus was actually very comfortable with little people on them (go during the week). Same goes for Sihanoukville, Siem Reap, etc. However, if you wish to go to Vietnam make sure you give yourself at least 5 days to get a visa, there have been a lot of people who have tried to leave expecting a visa at the border only to be turned around by the bus company.

Cheers!

-Ian

Hey Ian,

Thanks so much for this, it's really helpful. It makes me feel a lot more reassured - though sitting in rainy London today, frankly, I feel like anywhere sunny will be a huge improvement!

I think (hope) I will be doing some human rights NGO work whilst I'm out there. Are you working? You're a musician? I'll definitely take up your suggestion of a guest house first up - sounds a really good way to meet people as well as find somewhere to live. I would actually be really interested in Khmer lessons too.. Will you stick around for a while, do you think?

Thanks again for all this,

Emma