Moving to Berkeley

Hello,

I am an exchange visitor and I am moving Berkeley in October. I have checked the ads in Craigslist to find a place to live. The max rent I'd be able to pay (for a shared flat) is 650. I wouldn't like to pay for a place that I've not seen, so I thought I'd stay in a hosetel in the beginning and try to find an apatment when I'm already there. Do you think this is a good idea? And is it realistic to find a place for living in about a week (for that price)?

All information is very welcome, thanks!

Kersten

If you're looking for a room to rent out, go on HousingAnywhere.com! lots of rooms to rent there :)

kersten7 wrote:

Hello,

I am an exchange visitor and I am moving Berkeley in October. I have checked the ads in Craigslist to find a place to live. The max rent I'd be able to pay (for a shared flat) is 650. I wouldn't like to pay for a place that I've not seen, so I thought I'd stay in a hosetel in the beginning and try to find an apatment when I'm already there. Do you think this is a good idea? And is it realistic to find a place for living in about a week (for that price)?

All information is very welcome, thanks!

Kersten

You may want to contact MorganeFrance, a new student at Berkeley.

Rents are very high in Berkeley, I would suggest you look in other nearby area's, like El Cerrito, Richmond area. Better if you are there to see the place. I would also suggest you look for maybe a roommate situation with not just young people but perhaps a senior women that may need help around the house for cheaper rent & quieter living situation .  My wife & I will be returning to the Bay Area from Thailand & we are looking to rent also.  If I run across something that you might like I will send you the information. Give me your E-Mail.  Good Luck to You,  Patrick    PS. we might know of someone who is only looking for a single women, do you mind baby sitting for children 4 years & up?

I already sent you a E-Mail but forgot to give you a contact.  Patrick   ** PS. we are still in Thailand will be coming back to the bay area in July.

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : For your security, please send your contact details through your private message system.

If you have never been to Berkeley and don't have friends who live there, it will probably better for you to live in hostel for awhile. That will help you to get acquainted with your new city. And then it will be easier to decide ion what neighborhood you want to live.