Is it safe in Kampala

Hi all,

Good day to you.

I am Siddique, 43 year old Indian, married. I have a 6 Year old daughter.

I am just wondering if I get an offer from an Ugandan Company, should I take it up? Is it safe to live in Kampala with family? Do I have to worry about Malaria, Muggings etc? Are the Ugandans nice people to work with? Are there good hospital facilities?

Please help me with information on the above and any other information which a fellow expatriate need to know.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Siddique

Dear siddique,

How are you, this is Mitesh bhatt from Uganda, I am indian national and leaving in East africa since last 15 Years, am in uganda since last two years. Well you must grab opportunity to come to uganda as it is promising land of opportunity. my daughter is also 6 years old and am and other thousands of indians staying with their family here. Security wise it is one of the best country in africa. we have good schools, hospitals and everything you need. so have that opportunity. But be very carefull while selecting your employer.
for more you can call me on +256 715 988727

Regards
Mitesh

Hi Mitesh my self jasi will like to talk to u , since i m planning to move to kampala .......

Hulo Siddique...you are very welcome to Uganda and if you get employment don't pass up that opportunity...as you have heard or known,British Prime Minister Winston Churchill named Uganda the Pearl of Africa...however since we are in a tropical zone there definitely and inevitably has to be malaria but that can be prevented...for the start when you are coming from a zone that doesn't breed malaria spreading mosquitoes you have to take anti-malarial medication for a period of time to be determined by your physician and even when here at all times sleep under a treated net.They are not that expensive.Good luck.

Hi Guys,

I am bhaskaran from chennai in india, I have got a offer in uganda for redington gulf... Pls guide is that safe to come to uganda and also cost of living.. If my saalary is 500$.. is it enough for two people husband and wife...

Uganda is good, BUT as you are there also think about RWANDA as the best tourist destination in the region. Safe & hospitable.

Well Siddique, Ugandans are the most hospitable, just ask any indian in uganda and they will tell u so. 6most of the indians even abise the hospitality! anyway u have nothing to worry about.
Cheers

Kenneth

Hi Mithesh,

R you still living in Kampala or shifted ?

I  went thru your blog and found it conforting.

I have got an offer of employment from a Bank in Kampala and likely to shift ther epretty soon.

Wanted to know from you, as to how safe is the place for Indian Professionals like me to work there and what are the opportunities ?

Any discrimination and concern areas , kindly do elaborate . If you want to discuss seperately , you may mail to [email protected].

How is the living expenses ? How r the schooling facilities ?

Waiting for a revert from you asap.

Take care.

regards

Susanta

I have been there in April 2008, it is quite safe.

But as in any city, there are some places that are not recommended

thanks for the information .

regards

This place is safe compared to say, Congo. It is not safe compared to say, any small town in the US.  All compounds are like living in a prison. 10 foot walls and razor wire and armed guards at the gate. I know 3 friends that got their necklaces ripped off their necks in broad daylight on a weekend at the shopping mall!  Also, you can never drive with windows down or doors unlocked, esp. at night.
Also, you can't really trust people, unfortunately. They are hospitable to your face, but many will pounce on any opportunity to rob you. But at least when they do it, they do it just for the money, and they don't usually hurt you. One of my neighbors just got robbed by a man who entered her 2nd floor verandah on a hot night when she was sleeping with windows open and he slid the screen across and entered. Didn't hurt her, but took 3 bags in her room. Also know another story, first hand, Indian parents of my kid's schoolmate - they lived in an unguarded compound, locals watched them every day, one night after dinner, the grandpa went out to smoke on the porch, and the gunmen, in SUITS! entered, told them to lie down and no one would be hurt. They made them go thru the house and turn over all their computers, jewelry, cash. Criminals can rent guns here from police force and then share the proceeds with the police.

These are all true stories I know first hand from my own friends. Our own truck was broken into even in a "guarded" lot. Guards here are useless and you can never ever leave anything in your car. Pickpockets will bump you on the street and steal from your purse.
I am on high alert at all times here. But thank god, we have been safe so far.
I also have 3 dogs in my compound for protection.
You can get by if you are cautious.

(Moderated)

Gosh, sorry Deboro,
sounds like you have had a really rough ride. It is certainly true that you need a level of caution, but having lived here for nearly 11 years, I've not encountered much reason for constant anxiety. My father has visited Uganda 3-4 times since we have been here and is more worried for my teenage children at night in Sheffield, UK than here in Kampala. That may be misplaced, who can tell, but the fact is that city life is different to small town most places in the world. Having said that - I always lock my car doors driving at night. I sleep with all the windows open, but we don't have sliding screens - they are fixed. Simple precautions for any big city seem to be enough.
I actually think the roads are among the biggest dangers as the driving is erratic and accidents on major roads out of town too frequent.
Anyone settling in the city for the first time should ask about neighborhoods before choosing a house. Again, that's the same for any new town - my cousin in the UK had her house broken into so frequently that she sold it and moved. She was pretty convinced it must be the neighbours opposite, as they could see her movements, but with no proof, the police could do nothing. That's not a Kampala thing - that's a symptom of dodgy neighborhoods...

Hi ,

I got an opportunity to work in Kampala ,I just wana know is it safe to live and use two wheeler there coz co is saying that they gonna provide two wheeler to visit companies there ,please let me know ....

Hi Mr.Mitsh

I from india i have a small question if i am planning to come in kampala  for job  how much we can demand how much we can save permonth

Vivek

Hi everybody,

Please note that some off topic posts have been removed from this thread.

-------------------

@ Vivek > Do note that you have posted on a very old thread here (2009) and your question is off topic as well. I suggest you to create a new thread on the Kampala forum and to ask all your questions. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Dear Sir,
I have got an offer from a company named MFI solution for marketing profile.Can u pls help me giving some information about this company.Can I call u in ur no.u can mail me details
[email protected]

Regards
Raju poddar

yes its very safe to live in kampala, because as much as i see here indians have business and they haeve good freedom here. so i would be grateful to know if you need any further inqury. my email is [email protected]

its very safe here in kampala...am billy, you can call me on (moderated)....will help you alot...nice day