Falling in love with Brasil

Adapting to life here in Brazil following arrival here is a real undertaking for anyone who has not visited the country before. While we all go through culture shock to some degree it can be pretty scary for someone arriving here with little or no prior knowledge of the country.

I know exactly how that feels, when I came to Brazil over ten years ago now I went directly to Manaus, Amazonas and at least in the area where I lived I was the only 'gringo' who had ever set foot there much less lived in the bairro.

That fact was really kind of overwhelming in the beginning, but I spoke Portuguese at an upper intermediate level albeit with a horrible accent and the people were so amazing that I soon abandoned all my initial fears.

I was not only accepted into the community, but I was also treated like visiting royalty, really! I was there to build a school for poor kids and everybody knew it. Everybody in the bairro wanted not only to get to know me, but also be around me whenever possible.

Despite the warnings from my friends in São Paulo (which I would really recommend others listen to very carefully) that I shouldn't let anybody know I had a computer, digital camera, camcorder and the like for fear of being robbed everybody knew about them. All the men in the bairro called me to bring the camera and take photos of their almost daily soccer games. The kids (all poor, street kids and from the favela) came to the school to play on the computer. I was invited to dinner every night in the favela and if I didn't bring the camera along and snap photos they actually were rather hurt. Taking a camera into a favela and taking pictures is something I would absolutely discourage others from doing because of its inherant danger, but the way I was received in the area everybody in the favela wanted photographs with me, of their kids, their dogs,everything imaginable.

Truth was that at that point I must have been living in the safest house in all of Brazil because all the street kids, budding bandidos, etc., were keeping watch over it and over me. I had my own private army of little 'bodyguards' almost 24 hours a day. They also put word out through the very effective favela grapevine here in Brazil that nobody was to mess with me or they would account to some of the scariest people you would ever want to know. Scary to you, but to me they were just my new friends.

It can be like that for you too, it all depends on the way you treat people here and the vibes you put out. I had no plans of staying in Brazil, but after my experience in Manaus it was impossible for me to leave this country. I never will because I love Brazil and the Brazilian people too much. I could never be happy anywhere else.

In my humble opinion Brazilians have to be among the most wonderful people on earth. They are warm, receptive, friendly and very collaborative. For the most part they really love us 'gringos' especially if we speak their language. One thing that I will say about the Brazilians is that the Brazilian heart is one of God's true miracles... they are overflowing with a unique kind of solidarity and caring for others.

In some countries, in any large city if you drop in the street with a heart attack you're guaranteed to die. People just step right over you without a second thought. I've seen that. Thankfully in my home country (Canada) somebody will come along right away who will help you in any way he/she can. But, here in Brazil they'll carry you to the hospital on their back if need be. I've not only seen that with my own eyes, but also experienced it firsthand when in the past I had a heart attack on the sidewalk while strolling around the Lagoa de Pampulha when I lived in Belo Horizonte. I owe my very life to two young lads whom I had never seen before or since. They tried desparately to call the fire rescue and an ambulance but nobody was available to respond according to the telephone operator. They then attracted the attention of a passing police car, explained the situation and the two police officers and the lads gingerly placed me into the back seat of the police car. I was rushed to Odilon Berendts Hospital where I remained for the following week.

That is just one of the reasons that I have a deep and abiding love for the Brazilian people and respect them so very much. I defy anyone to say anything bad about them as a population... you're in for a big fight if you do! Sure there are some pretty nasty individuals here, but there are bad people everywhere in the world - even so-called 'First World' countries. They are however way outnumbered here by the average Brazilians who are truly wonderful people. I am speaking from the bottom of my heart and from over ten years of experience living in various locations in Brazil.

With deep admiration and respect,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

What an amazing and well written article about Brazil :top:
Keep up the good work William :thanks:

Thanks Jazzy

Hi all,

For those of you who are may be really down on Brazil seeing everything as bad, I invite you to read the following text from a response to a topic posted in the Bangladesh Forum about Why invest in Bangladesh? I found it a real eye opener about Culture Shock and I wanted to pass it along in our forum with a message to our members.

"Just to give a balanced view on teh subject:

Unstable government.
Corruption
Unstable and insufficient power supply
Bad infrastructure
Strikes are common place
Violence during demonstartion is common place
Dhaka traffic congestion is dreadful.
Extremely dificult to repatriate money to another country
Corruption
Inflation.
Very unstable currency
The ecconomy is reliant on foreign aid, and is even calulated in the budget
Wait for years to get a fixed telephone line
Only GSM service available
Internet speeds are slow or VERY expensive
Did  I mention corruption
Rather than negotiate and talk if your staff do not like their salaries they may smash your factory up
When there are strikes it is unsafe to move from your home
When their are political rallies it is unsafe to move from your home
When leaving the country you cannot take more than 10 USD cash out
House rentals are limited and of poor quality as well as being very expensive
Hotel prices are amongst some of the worst in Asia
Violence ( including DV ) and murder is common place
Poor enviromental laws
Most of the better educated people choose to leave Bangladesh
and did I mention corruption ?"

I responded in that forum that I really felt that the member (from the UK) was being excessively negative about his host country and that no developing nation was free from those problems. I added that he could be describing Brazil because we have many of the same problems but there was no place on earth that I'd rather be. I continued saying that it appeared that he had a very serious case of the "over home" syndrome and was probably locked in a phase of Culture Shock where EVERYTHING about the host country is bad.

The point that I want to make is that while Brazil has many problems it still is a wonderful country and the bottom line is that almost all of us expats are here by choice. Nobody held a gun to my head and made me come here.

Look around you, there is no such thing as all black and white, everything has shades of gray. Yes there are problems but every country has serious problems even your home country. Look for the good things about Brazil - they're not hard to find. I know if you start looking on the bright side your negativity about Brazil will soon start to fade away when you see the good outweighs the bad. Brazil is growing and changing, it's not even the same Brazil that it was when I came here over ten years ago.  Real change doesn't come easily nor does it come quickly. As the signs you will see frequently here in Brazil say... Desculpe o transtorno estamos em construção.

Just remember folks... the glass is HALF FULL!

Cheers,

You have a brazilian heart ;)

Hi again Emilie,

That's what they all told me back there in Canada. LOL

I guess I gained it when I started learning the language in 2001 because I did it purely out of curiosity and really never dreamed of actually coming here one day, let alone ending up living here for over ten years now. I think it was a special heart that was transplanted into me when I started attending a Baptist church in Vancouver with a Brazlian congregation and services in Portuguese. My teacher was the Pastor. Think it was him that thought I was a good candidate recipient for the heart.

What I tell everybody here is that I'm the only Brazilian that was born in the wrong country, who didn't have either a Brazilian mother or father. Simply because the stork was drunk and made the delivery in Canada by mistake.

Sou o único brasileiro nascido num país errado que não tinha nem mãe nem pai brasileiro. Simplesmente porque a cegonha estava bêbeda e a entrega foi feita lá no Canadá por engano.

That usually gets them rolling on the floor in fits of laughter here, but I really believe it's true.

Cheers Em,

by the way - gave your response a thumbs-up loved it.

You have a brazilian heart, a amazing story about Brazil...

Thanks momochong1,

It's not difficult to write amazing things when you're talking about a truly amazing country and its people who are more amazing still. Every day I see, read, hear or experience something that makes me love Brazil and her people even more. There is nowhere on this earth that I would rather be than here. Yes, I was born with a Brazilian heart, but unfortunately it took 52 years of my life to discover that and to finally come where I belong. rsrsrsrsrs

Cheers,