Shipping a car down from Canada... worth it?

I'm sure that this has been answered in the past somewhere, but I thought I'd ask this question anyway...

Is is worth having our car shipped down from Canada? Or should we sell it and pick up a new one in PY?

Ours is a mid-sized sedan (Mitsubishi Diamante). It's not too new, but in great condition for a 2000 model. We probably won't get more than $3000 for it here if we sold it... so I'm wondering if we'd be better off having it shipped down.

What kind of things should we be concerned about if we did move it down there? Will we be stuck with an exorbitant fee or tax to bring it in? I've read about insurance prices, so they don't seem too bad.

It's a good car though, and still has a LOT of miles left to go on it. A part of me would be sad to part with it.

I just found out that we can ship it... but I'll have to look into how expensive the whole ordeal would be, compared to just buying another car while down there.

Thanks in advance for your helpful answers!

If it is older than 10 years, you canŽt import it, you better check with a Custom Broker.

Kind regards,

Jerónimo

Well that makes the decision easier. The car is 12 years old. Good to know. Thanks!

Guess I will be selling the car to a family member after all. :)

Besides being 12 years old and like Jfinestra already said, its not allowed to import cars older than 10 years anymore the first thing that always comes to my mind is spare-parts. Not sure if I've ever seen you're kind of vehicle down here, though I'm no expert.
The best buy here in PY concerning spare-parts always is of-course buying one that was imported by the official-representative BUT alone at buying time you're gonna pay more, not speaking about even buying the spare-parts.
The other option is buying a Iquique car for which there's no guarantee that you'll be able to get all the spare-parts locally here, but is a lot cheaper when buying.
I'm staying with my '78 Nissan which has virtually no maintenance cost at all.

PARTS!!!

I totally didn't even think about that. I have a bad enough time getting Mitsubishi parts here in Canada, let alone in Paraguay.

Thanks for the added thought on that.

What are the most common makes and models that are driven down there? What cars are the easiest to maintain and get parts for?

The biggest issue, with alle cars you buy here ? They all cost way to much.
And I don't see, how you can keep a '78 maintenance free ?
Ofcourse, I do live in the 'campo' '96 Patrol...

Another issue, those iquique , and lot's of other imports are all right drive converts, and this conversion mostly sucks.