Chance to get a job in Bahamas

Hi there :-) I've got a few questions, hoping someone will have the answers :-) First of all, if someone will go to the Bahamas alone what do you think, what is the chance to get a "normal" job? What is the average salary there, how about the taxes if you are not local? Please explain for me the behaviour there, I mean: mood, are they stressed, patient, and so on? How about the apartment renting? For me the key point is: if you already live there as a foreigner, how do you feel yourself? Do you like it, would you recommend?
Lilla

Hello Lilla.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

For more interaction, a new thread has been created from your message on the Bahamas forum.

Browsing the other threads on the Bahamas forum can help.

Hope other members will give you some responses.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi,

I came to the Bahamas when I was 15 and I have been here for 16 years at first it was very difficult I wanted to go back to Cuba. Then after the first year I began to adjust.

Life here has its benefits as well as its problems. I have encountered a lot of foreigners , specially because the tourism industry is so vast here.

Rent ranges between 600-4000. depending on location and salaries from 250 per week and up . depending on your skills.

As a foreigner, I have learned to embrace it. However it's a small place there are not that many people and the capital is over crowded that majority of the population lives in Nassau and the downside is the weather on hurricane season.

People here are nice,majority of colored race, 12% caucasian. The rest mixture of different entities from around the world.

Stressed some, diabetes seems to be the biggest problem, and some AIDS.

Hope this helps.

If you have any more questions I'd be happy to assist .

ALl the best.

Hello,

Living in bahamas is good, but you live one or few huricane per year, working you receive around 250 at 500 per week depend your position.
Rent is a big problem, you share one apartment is the best option if you want rent one, around $700 at no limite.
You need one insurance or medicare, and you find one around $2000 per year.
The food cost also a lot, but you dont payd any taxes, the people are realy nice, but stay in one big island, because find one job is faster.
best regards

Well for now i live in Bahamas. First all for  direct and indirect experience  i wish to say  for  everyone who want to move to Bahamas DO NOT COME IN  FREEPORT ( GRAND BAHAMAS ) It's  a very very boring city and  you never will breath the real Bahamas air here in Freeport. I went to Nassau the capital of Bahamas  and  wowo i like it and  the most people of Bahamas i mean bahamian  , they never what to deal with bahamians  from Freeport. I didn t know why . Now i know they are tricky they behavie so  strange with the people and  when they are gentil is for interest in something. The way they work in different  field of work  they are NOT  profesional. About it i wish to  warn the people to  DO NOT DEAL FON ANY REASON WITH BANK OF BAHAMAS OF FREEPORT . Some  employeer in past were fired  because they stolen money from the  clints account.One day i went to that bank because i had to receive some EURO MONEY.Well guess what? the casher / teller  asked to: excuse me i don t know EURO . In which country you use Euro? I was shoked for real. I said in which country did u study??Unbelieveable And then she ask  to em to  check how much 1 EURO  in dollar. I said yes sure  miss you can go to take a coffee i do all alone. So becarefull to Bahamas. Today some thief still work there. Once of victim is my girlfriend.This is my hint and opinion. Now i don t want to say  that everybody in Freeport is like that. There are lot people honest and great worker . But here is different from other islands of Bahamas So becarefull.Apart that , for live in Bahamas  is better u come with your own money so u cant start a business. Here to hire a foreigner it s mean that company has to pay 10.000 dollars per year for your work permit.By the way is better to take out a policy  or better a health insurance .For example i was victim of a easy folliculitis and i didn t have a health insurance. I went to some of max expert doctor here Doct. B..... and he said  this is something that you eat for example bbq souce . o he send to me to do a blood test. he gave me some medicine  after 1 month the medicin were water they didn t work properly. So I went to other 2 doctors  and they gave me other medicine and anti biotic for  2 months  and nothing yet and at all i spent 500 dollars for nothing. So i send the picture to my doctor to EUROPE and  he said  how is possible that doctors  cannot recognize a easy folliculitis? Thanks God my family  were coming to vacation here they bringed me a cream and  2 days i had not more folliculitis. I m not talking bad of BAHAMAS  because even the same bahamina are victim of all that ignorance. Guess what the first doctor  i wen t he was the ministry of health. I was shoked when bahaminas said me that.Bahamas Is  a wonderfull country  the quality of life  is once of the  better  within the  most caribbean country. A lot people is gentil. But you have to be carefull.By the way if you will come to Bahamas and you will have not intention to go to USA you can change in bahamian dollars.But if you will think to go to USA is better  you come with U.S dollars because in Bahamas theyacept and they use U.S dollars  and  Bahamian dollars. Both. 1 bahamian dollars is = 1 U.S dollars.  But this in BAHAMAS. iF YOU TRY TO CHANGE 1 BAHAMIAN DOLARS IN USA they will count it 0.80 U.S cent.   If you want to change  in Bahamas  in BANK OF BAHAMAS 1000 bahamian dollars they go to charge to you 5 dolars every 1000.