Moving

Hi

Myself and my husband are thinking of moving to Malta in the new year. I have been looking at schools for my 2 children, they are aged 3 and 6 years old. I am wanting them to go to a local primary school but am wondering if they will understand the other children.

Has anyone got English speaking children that go to local schools? and if so what are your thoughts.

Feedback would be grand

Thank you
Kirstyn :)

Hi kirstyn,
I have a 2 1/2 year old who attends a private creche at the moment, all children are different nationalities so the only language they speak is english. When he'll be 3 he'll attend a public kindergarten, I registered him last week and the secretary told me again that everybody will be talking in english. I'm not sure about primary school but sure you can ring any school up and ask all the questions, that's what I did and still do if something new comes up because I can't find anything on the internet ;)
When we moved I actually didn't know myself about the language situation and then I was surprised by the fact that everybody i met (people in shops, school, playground, doctors ecc) could all speak english .
Giuseppina

Thank you for your reply.

Can I ask; where is a nice place to live in Malta with children.

Kirstyn:)

Kirstyn,

I live in Birzebbuga and its wonderful for Children... we have family that have moveed over with an 18th month old and they are loving it here... google "pretty bay Malta" and "birzebbuga" for pics

Julian
ps. we moved from Kent also

Hi Julian

Where abouts from Kent are you?
Do you know what the local schools are like in the area you recommended.
I am looking for a spacious 3 bedroom house to rent, Can you recommened any good websites?

Kirstyn :)

Hi kirstyn, we live in sweiqi,
We choose it because we wanted to be near st. julian and sliema. Swieqi is small (everything is walking distance) it's a quite residential aerea , it has all the little shops you need for your daily shopping , a fruit and vegetable farm, a good clinic, the private creche my children are attending at the moment, it's beside paceville and st. julian bay (where we usually go to the beach) and it has a good size playground. That's what we were looking for whwn we moved, I hope that helps.
Giuseppina

The website we used to find our flat is called http://www.franksalt.com.mt/ .
My husband came to malta on it's own to find accomodation for us and thanks to a guy working in that agency he found what he was looking for in only 3 days. He didn't rent a car so the agent took his car and they saw all the houses together. I found that extremely nice.
Giuseppina

Hi Kirstyn,

we are from Minster on the Isle of Sheppey. I still own a property there at the moment and we have a 3 Bedroom Apartment in Birzebbuga.  The Schools here are very good and my family have managed to get the baby into to the local school, you have to get medicals done for the children and they ask for xrays but they did decline this and it was accepted ok.

Julian

It really does depend what you are after.. St Georges Bay in St Julians is a very busy beach in the Summer although in Winter its beautiful and quiet.

You have to look at how you want to live... do you want to be close to the busy noisy areas, or in a more quiet area, the only person that can answer that is you..

South area is quiet, middle area of Malta around St Julians, Buggiba, etc are more based on tourist traffic and are obviously a bit more expensive because of it.

Frank Salt is a great agent and also so is Dhalia... although you will be paying more through an agent as you would in the UK and will have bigger deposits etc.  You could also look in the Times of Malta website www.timesofmalta.com under the classifieds for accomodation.

Obviously knowing someone here is a benefit and you can get accomodation quite reasonably, this is what i did with my family and managed to get them a 2 bedroom place for €280 a month without having to pay a deposit.

If there is anything i can do then please do not hesitate to ask.

Julian