Western groups to jon to make friends

I am currently been considered for a role in AD and live in the UK so would be relocating as a single, western female.
I would appreciate if anyone can help me with the below queries

I know Dubai very well and like their social scene, is there a good social scene in AD ?

Would it be pratical to communte from Dubai to AD or would it make sense to be based in AD ?

Is there any groups you can join to meet expats in the AD as I would like to meet people and gain a nice circle of friends.

Is it easy to find shared accomodation with expats ? can you recommend any website links.

If you want to rent a apartment on your own do you have to pay a years rent upfront ?

Would you recommend AD for a western , single female in her 30s ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards and thank you for your help.

Hello EmmaUK.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll soon get answers to your questions.

Concerning the accommodation, you can post an advert in the Housing in Abu Dhabi section. It may help.

Thank you,
Aurélie

HI!

A lot of western expat here in AD, I think Abudhabi is better in Dubai.,try Accomodation in AD.gudluck!

EmmaUK wrote:

I am currently been considered for a role in AD and live in the UK so would be relocating as a single, western female.
I would appreciate if anyone can help me with the below queries

I know Dubai very well and like their social scene, is there a good social scene in AD ?

Would it be pratical to communte from Dubai to AD or would it make sense to be based in AD ?

Is there any groups you can join to meet expats in the AD as I would like to meet people and gain a nice circle of friends.

Is it easy to find shared accomodation with expats ? can you recommend any website links.

If you want to rent a apartment on your own do you have to pay a years rent upfront ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards and thank you for your help.

I've been living in Dubai for 2 years, before that 3 years in Abu Dhabi... ever since I moved to Dubai... I have rarely visited Abu Dhabi, and everything changes so fast in UAE... so keep in mind, my info is probably a bit outdated... :)

EmmaUK wrote:

In general, Abu Dhabi is following in Dubai's footsteps in every aspect of life... Demographically, Abu Dhabi would have more Asian & Arab percentage, less European percentage than what Dubai has, so probably the social scene is less western-like...

EmmaUK wrote:

That would be exhausting... depending on where in Dubai you choose to live and where in Abu Dhabi you would be working, this could range from 1 to 1.5 hours drive... x 2 ... with 9 - 10 hours of work everyday... you will have no time to enjoy your weekdays anyway... so I think you should live in Abu Dhabi... and if Abu Dhabi doesn't seem to be entertaining enough, then come to Dubai for the weekend.

EmmaUK wrote:

Yes, check meetup.com , lots of groups are there, I haven't tried to join any activity... so not sure how that would turn out to be.

EmmaUK wrote:

yes, dubizzle.com, but be careful... real Estate agents here are untrustworthy (at least my experience)... I think you should try to get your own studio though... its not too expensive (compared to the average income and of course depending on the location ).

EmmaUK wrote:

No, you can pay it with 4 checks... even some do agree to 6 checks... will probably be more like 10% more expensive than paying all the amount at once.

EmmaUK wrote:

Yes, UAE (Abu Dhabi and Dubai) are way ahead of the rest of the Gulf Region... I think you would like it here. (I still hear my European colleagues complain about life here... but I think its good :) )

Goodluck :)

Yeah, You'll love it get yourself across :)

Hi Emma,
Abu Dhabi , is a very well managed and peaceful place comparing to Dubai, why not to try having experience of living in the richest city of the world,,,go ahead and all the best