Citizen of US, mother is a Dutch citizen but living in US for 25+ yrs

Hi, I am looking for information on moving to the Netherlands.  My mother is a Dutch citizen and holds a current Dutch passport.  But she has been living in the US for maybe 30 years, and has never filled out any other paperwork keeping her status current and is concerned that her citizenship may not be valid at the moment.  Is this true even though she holds a current Dutch passport?  The reason I am wondering is because my husband I would very much like to move to the Netherlands permanently in the next 3 years, before I turn 28.  I understand that I am a Dutch subject until I am 28 years old, but I wonder if my mom's negligence will effect my ability to become a citizen.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Is your mother's passport valid? If it doesn't say Europese Unie on it, it's expired. Dutch Law does not recognize Dual National status or Citizenship. You're only a Dutch Citizen if you are currently registered and living in the Netherlands. I have to register in and out everytime I leave the country for long periods. I would direct your questions to the nearest Dutch Embassy in your area below. 

Netherlands Consulate
Atlanta, GA
770-390-3550 (phone)
770-390-3522 (fax)
[email protected] (email)
Please call or e-mail us for an appointment.

For additional information including the application form, see this link.
http://www.netherlands-embassy.org/arti … 00000180EN