Job offer accepted what is the next step?

Hello everyone,

I am after some help please. my husband accepted a job offer at a University in Khobar, since he replied to the offer e-mail on the 07th August he hasn't heard anything back from the university, is this normal? he is not due to start until January 2013 but i thought they will reply back and send him the contract?

Can someone let me know what is the normal procedure, shall he send them an email to chase?

Many thanks

Sarah

Jan?

you most likely wont hear anything until november

Sending a follow-up mail or a phone call is a good idea always. But make sure you don't nag them though.

07-Aug was Ramadan. They're all sleeping yet trust me.

@FLS is right. Actions in the very nick of time is considered a norm here.

Thank you so much to you both for the speedy reply!
I just want to make sure they will not change their mind if he hasn't signed anything! he is finishing his current job in September and has stopped looking for a position now he got the offer!

Also i wanted to find out what is the procedure for me joining him, i don't want to go with him at first, i have a good job here, so wants him to settle down first and make sure all he is happy there before i resign and rent out the house

any idea of what type of accommodation is normally given?

Thank you so much and apologies for all the quesstions

Normal procedure in KSA.

Haven't heard a lot about employers changing their minds after getting offers accepted. So stay satisfied.

It's quite wise to join after a while. KSA is a very different place and culture shock is a factor not to under-estimate. Let him come, discover & share with you the here-abouts. Meanwhile, feel free to browse through these forums. But don't be baffled :)

In terms of leniency, KSA cities are in the order of Dammam & Khobar >> Jeddah >> Riyadh. Do expect posts from Riyadh a bit harassing. If you are a Muslim, you're going to like most of things I bet (except bar on ladies driving) :)

Any idea what 'profession' they are going to provide on his visa? Family visa possibility has a lot to do with that. Frequent visits to KSA (through visit visas) will also be a possibility.

Thank you so much "The Legendleads":)

We are both arab muslims and really looking forward to living in a muslim country, so hopefully we shouldn't get a culture shock however i am a bit apprehensive as i know Saudi is a very strict muslim country. and not sure how i will get by without driving! i am used to going everywhere in my car! my husband doesnt drive and hates driving!

will i be able to go out to the mall and for shopping on my own? as i am a muslim will i be asked to wear the abaya as well as a headscarf?
any idea which type of accommodation we will get? would it be in a compound?

no idea about profession on the visa,... they sent him an e-mail with details of the job offer, he replied accepting and then nothing until now!

sunset75 wrote:

will i be able to go out to the mall and for shopping on my own? as i am a muslim will i be asked to wear the abaya as well as a headscarf?

All Yes.
Headscarf (Hijab) not necessary in Dammam/Khobar.

It's a well-organized small city with much cleaner & less dense traffic. Driving won't bother your husband anymore. You'll find most people around cordial.

sunset75 wrote:

any idea which type of accommodation we will get? would it be in a compound?

The contract will tell that. But don't consider that as deal breaker. Compound life in KSA Eastern region in not very  different from non-compound life (unlike Riyadh).

A big attraction nearby is Bahrain at a convenient drive.

sunset75 wrote:

no idea about profession on the visa,... they sent him an e-mail with details of the job offer, he replied accepting and then nothing until now!

Keep fingers crossed. All good awaiting you InshAllah.

All the Best :)

Thank you so much the legendleads inchallah all will be fine

It is very normal here in Saudi Arabia especially during Ramadan time. All Saudi universities started the new academic year on August 25. He shall expect feedback from them by Oct 2012. Wish you and him all the best and pleasurable stay in Saudi Arabia.
KFUPM Professor
Dhahran