Photography Enthusiasts

Hi,

I am looking for photography enthusiasts in Saudi, it doesn't matter if you are not a pro, if you are interested please get in touch.

Thank you.

hey m interested ! :D

really

i am not interested in it

thanks

I love to take pics even though I am not a pro, yet... count me in. took some Riyadh haze Pics on King Fahd Highway last week. Will try to add thgem to my profile for the benefit of everyone here.

I thought taking pictures (even of buildings and such) is highly frowned upon?

I wonder, too, Solero.  Only time I felt that taking pics was OKAY was at the zoo but .. if you notice in my pics, I was extremely careful there was nobody in the background!

I had considered blurring out the animal's faces, but eventually decided they  wouldn't mind.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Whoaaa, is that zoon in Riyadh? hehe
I have heard that even if you're taking pictures of the desert you're running the risk of being checked for what pictures you have and an earful from someone who doesn't agree with the process?

Oh no, whats frowned upon is taking pics of saudi ladies in public places. We have stacks of pics taken over the years...

For all those who havent yet seen the Ali Baba Caves of Hofuf heres a sneak preview...

http://fazlis.googlepages.com/jubail

Hi there, I am a keen photography enthusiast, and I would count myself as somewhere between amatuer and professional. I especially like taking photos of unusual and different places, including people. Already been told off a couplee of times for taking photos of seemingly inane things (no ladies), but that is not going to stop me, just make me more careful. I seen some pretty good photos on this website already of Saudi Arabia. And I am planning a photographic safari to Africa in 2011.

Wow, Sans.. you're brave!

(I like photography, too, but can't do the subtle 'pretend-like-I'm-on-my-cell-but-I'm-really-taking-pictures-thing hehe).

YEW HAW!!  My post above, #100, moved me from an 'active member' to a contributor status!!

Life is good!

Congrats, puddy tat! Join the club. Next stop is the Nobel Prize... Good Luck

Hi guys,

Thank you for your very positive response I will get back to each one of you.

Charming photos of the Ali Baba caves, is that what they are really called?

Kind regards,

Wais

Loved the photos!  I am really interested in visiting all of the historical sites in the country.  We should be over in a week or so - can't wait!!!  :)  YEA!!

The Ali Baba caves are called so purely by local colloquial and cultural heritage based on the 1001 Arabian Nites Tales. The actual name for the Caves is "Jabal Al Qarah caves of Hofuf". Those interested in a more scientific understanding of the geography, geology and rormation of the Caves may browse the following link which is very explanative and also has some great black and white pics:-

http://www.caves.org/pub/journal/PDF/V6 … ussain.pdf

In my view, it should be classified as a UNESCO heritage Site and be protected by the State. A must see for all expats. Eid Holidays next week would be a great time ro drive down.

A great time to DRIVE down?

Thanks for rubbing it in, musicman :sosad:

Mythbusters - Saudi Arabia, busting the myth that only women are bad drivers!

lol@ Soltero!

Of course, the Saudi's will blame all the Indian, Pakistani, etc. drivers! 

BTW... have I mentioned that the Saudi's I know from my job are just incredible folks, warm, friendly and great sense of humor?  I want to be clear when I say things 'in general,' it's taken as just that.  A generality. 

THAT said, I have no idea how my Saudi colleagues drive! :D

Now thatyou guys are all gurus in how caves are formed lets get back on track on the highway with the local flavor of driving. Over here its not wahtw e call DRIVING back home. Its referred to as SAUDVING...

Their rules are diametrically opposirte to what we were taught by the good ole Brits back home.

First and foremost we drive on the LEFT side of the street in most British Colonial nations.

Next, We move to the correct lane (slow) early when we desire to exit from a highway. They wait till they get to about a foot away from the exit to nosedive through the exit, no horns, no signals, just right foot on the pedal, only.

Going on, we use our signals everytime we make a turn. right or left, irrespective of whether there is traffic in front of us, behind us or on either side of us. Signals are a waste of money by the manufacturer when they ship to KSA, sadly. Why pay for something you never use.

Horns are used back home toi alert thed river in front of us. Over here its a massive expression of ANGER!!! something like saying, "#$%& U" in Arabic of course.

If we see a vehicle in front of us indicating his signal lights that he intends to turn right or left we step off the pedal and let him go first before we carry on in our lane or even move to another lane. In their cvase thats blasphemy. How can you drive behind another? You gotta be at the front all of the time.

Speed!!! Do I need to say more...?

This morning a joker was miles behind me on the right lane and I signalled and moved to this lane since I was planning to take the exit off Makkah Highway. He came speedingf behind me, stark raving mad of course, with his foot on the pedal all the weay, overtook me from my left and cu in front of me when the duistance between me and the car in front was only barelky minimal and he didnt even take the exit. he just sped on straight. Now, please tell me how to unravel the working of that kind of mind?

Parking, especially around schools, hospitals, malls, and other public utilities. Phew! We poark where there is a slot, even if it requires a long walk back to the destination. They All WANT TO PARK SMACK BANG IN front OF THE main door. Its more like God Has Reserved the slot for ALL of them.

Another totally unacceptable feature I see in front of schools every morning is fathers/husbands, seated aomfortably at the whell while parkinmg to let their wives/kids get off and cross the street to get to the door. Some of the kids are tiny little tots with thei heavy backpacks, dartuing across the road without any care in the world. One little touch and the father would be screaming blooming BLOOD MONEY...

Now, wait until the fairer sex are given the wheel. Thats gonna be a different kind of circus, I bet?

Ive been on the road here for 30 years now. Good luck to me...