Home educating

Is this possible in Malta? We're seriously considering moving there in the future but we're in England at the moment and we are second generation home educating, if it isn't what options are availabe for those who deviate from the 'norm' so to speak? Is there any way to home educate at all??

Hi fallen-flame,

welcome to the forum.

The answer to your question is a simple .....no!

What do you meam by ' deviate from the norm ' ?

There is no option of home educating in Malta.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks, I mean there are so many different types of school in England (unfortunately none are near us here! Otherwise we'd be considring them) like Summerhill, Waldorf, Steiner, Montessori among others. I've heard rumours of a Waldorf school being set up but never heard if it had been set up or not! It's going to be a few years yet as although I've been going to Malta for over 20 years (since I was a baby!) my partner hasn't been yet, so want to make a few trips over before we make a final decision and obviously our son's education is a major deciding factor :)

fallen-flame wrote:

Is this possible in Malta? We're seriously considering moving there in the future but we're in England at the moment and we are second generation home educating, if it isn't what options are availabe for those who deviate from the 'norm' so to speak? Is there any way to home educate at all??

Please, for the sake of your children, have them receive a full and proper education..........at least with someone who can spell and can handle syntax. Aprat form tht you wil do well hear.

How incredibly rude. Especially coming from someone who does not seem to be able to spell themselves, though I'm assuming you made typing errors like I did. Thankfully it is not your decision to make. Nor is it up for discussion.

Thank you to the other poster for answering my question. It's always good to know what options will be available to us if we move. :)

fallen-flame wrote:

How incredibly rude. Especially coming from someone who does not seem to be able to spell themselves, though I'm assuming you made typing errors like I did. Thankfully it is not your decision to make. Nor is it up for discussion.

Thank you to the other poster for answering my question. It's always good to know what options will be available to us if we move. :)

Fantastic..... So you then believe that there is NO other option, that's good to know.

Home education eh?....think of your children (and no....I am not rude at all)

I have thought of my child thank you, it is not a decision that was taken lightly.
I have got the answer I was looking for so thank you again to the poster who actually answered my question. This is not a debate about the pros/cons of home education, as I said it is not up for discussion.

fallen-flame wrote:

I have thought of my child thank you, it is not a decision that was taken lightly.
I have got the answer I was looking for so thank you again to the poster who actually answered my question. This is not a debate about the pros/cons of home education, as I said it is not up for discussion.

Kudos....

Hi Fallen-flame,

We're unschoolers but my husband had a contract in Malta and we had to suck it up and send our boy to school, it is absolutely illegal to do it here.

I did meet a Maltese/American family who homeschooled their teenage daughter for a while but they were dobbed in by neighbours and were forced to send her to school.

School was an appalling experience for my son and we're still undoing the damage 6 months down the line. For example, the teacher taught him that there are 390 degrees in a circle and that to do multiplication he had to 'add this bit to that and do it again and again'. This was a 'top' private school.

We left and are quite happily homeschooling elsewhere, please feel free to PM me for more info.

Mel

mambawamba wrote:

the teacher taught him that there are 390 degrees in a circle

the circle was giving 110%

Must have been a Gozitan circle ! 30 extra degrees alsewhere is slightly more than 8 % of a circle -)))

Cheers George

our circles aren't round

George, she actually wrote on his project 'good work, you gave 110% on this, well done'.