Any suggestions for a wedding gift?

Hi - my name is Melinda and i'll be traveling to Thailand next week for my brother's wedding. He has fallen in love with a Thai girl living in Chiang Rai (this is where the ceremony will be held).

I plan to give them a wedding gift of cash but we have been invited to stay 2 nights in her sister's home so i really want to bring a gift to her sister and to her Mother as well.

Any suggestions on what is appropriate? Any input is greatly appreciated so thank you!!!

Cash or gold is very good.... During the wedding people present baht to the bride and groom.....Jewlery for mom and sister are great try learn say hello and thank you in Thai it helps alot

For a wedding, yes, all of those are appropriate / usual gifts. However, when invited to stay as a guest, a gift from you home country is expected. Bring something really "American" and they will like it. Things that cost more here (because of import and market) are Western perfumes, skin care products, and some foods (teas, spices, packaged mixes, etc). Hope this helps! :)

If you are looking to buy the wedding gifts for your brother. See if marriage is taking place with all India traditions and culture then I would suggest you to gift a metal statue of goddess Laxami & lord Ganpati.

If not then you can gift a pair of wrist watches.

Hi Davindane89,

Welcome to Expat-Blog :)

Please note that this thread is dated 2009 :D

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Perhaps you can check if she is the hilltribe or local people. They have their believes and tradition. Firstly I second dsuffix. Somethings from USA will be very good. Because for wedding gift it concerns with believes and faces as well. However easiest thing is get somethings in pairs.

Hi Living in Chiang Mai,

Thank you for your contribution :)

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

I suggest for sherwani to gifting your brother. I think he will like it.