Present situation in Norway

Hello..! guys i got an offer in Norway for some Oil and Gas company as in for IT Field.I would like know abt the present situation in Norway..how is the IT field over there...and the salary is around 21k Norway currency..is it ok to survive over there ......please please do help me friends Because i may be undergoing medical test this weekend..waiting for your replies...Thank you..!!

Hello sarfarazme.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

A new thread has been created on the Norway forum from your message.

In meantime, you can go through the other threads on the Norway forum. It may help.

If you have more specific questions, you can ask them.

Thank you,
Aurélie

If you want to live in a Western country then go for it, it is a good chance for you.

Norway is expensive but the salaries are also high enough to cover the living expenses , just save one of Norway's largest accommodation sites which is:

http://www.finn.no/finn/realestate/lett … it/browse1

It is common for foreigners and Norwegian students to share accommodation and you can search for accommodation on that site -do ask at your work place as well.

Norway gets very cold in winter so you need to spend on warm clothes - you can easily spend 1000 norwegian kroner on a good winter jacket.

The IT field is more or less non-existent in Norway in the sense that it is not like you have a situation in which IT jobs pay 50 times more than say a salary that a nurse would get - it is where different from Hyderabad.

sarfarazme wrote:

Hello..! guys i got an offer in Norway for some Oil and Gas company as in for IT Field.I would like know abt the present situation in Norway..how is the IT field over there...and the salary is around 21k Norway currency..is it ok to survive over there ......please please do help me friends Because i may be undergoing medical test this weekend..waiting for your replies...Thank you..!!

Most IT people in Norway work at schools and stuff like that putting together servers for the students. And also help them with computer troubles. Oil and gas would be very good paid. could be anything from 20000 to 50000 a month depeding on your degree.

Are you going to work in Oslo?  Is the 21k Nok after tax or before tax?  If it is before tax, that is quite low and rent in oslo is really expensive now.

Another good website to find accommodation is hybel.no.  I heard that you can also post your own advertisement to request for a place to rent in the website but my guess is you need to pay for that.

If it is after tax, I guess you can survive with it. Personally, I don't shop much in oslo but I find food a big issue.  Since they don't use preservatives, food get spoilt very fast.  I live in a small apartment with very mini fridge, thus I wasted a lot of $ on buying in small quantities.  that is why in my next apartment that i am sharing with my friend, we are getting one big enough for a big fridge/freezer to stock up on food supplies from Sweden.  The high perishable rate of the food was something that I did not expect when I was contemplating to move here.