No Hijab in a Western Compound??!!

..sooo....let me get this straight. I'm not allowed to reside in a Western compound even though I'm from a Western country and wear the hijab? I enjoy the freedom of hijab in the US & Canada...but the rules are different inside the compounds? I really don't see myself living in an all female compound or renting out. Is this true for all western compounds? And will I be treated differently if I tried to live in one? This is a little strange to me. Help me understand please.

(I apologize if this topic was discussed. I tried searching.)

It's disheartening to know that not only do I have to worry about Saudi's harsh impositions but also from fellow expats. Maybe I'm wasting my time looking into KSA. am I ready to feel this isolated?

We have Muslim women in our compound and they dress accordingly.

Only complaint I've ever heard is women wearing the Islamic swimwear because it really makes everyone at the pool uncomfortable that they are offending that individual since hey are in western wear

Saudis aren't allowed to reside in our compound either

Thanks Sushi. Do you think many western compounds have the no hijab rule?

From my experience in Riyadh and jeddah living and visiting a dozen compounds not as far as i know

thanks! def. need to do my research.

The swimwear is the only consistent rule I've seen

Why do you want to live on a Western compound if you don't want to live by the majority's way of living? I only ask as would you be happy seeing men in swimwear and girls in bikinis? We have to live by the Saudi rules outside the compounds, inside, we want to be ourselves. This is why the authorities allow the compounds in the first place. I have no objection to the hijab myself but what happens is that people want to live on a Western compound and then start imposing their rules on the rest of the residents. This happened on my last compound. During Ramadan we were told that we were not allowed to eat or drink or smoke outside the restaurant or around the compound. People reading this will know which compound I refer to. You would be welcomed on a western compound just don't try changing the status quo :unsure

I don't agree with anyone imposing rules that infringe an individual way of life. Why would I expect anything different than where I'm coming from??? I'm for freedom of lifestyle. I know I will get that in a compound (western & all female).

I suspect the intolerance is coming from some of the Western residents who came up with the "no abaya/hijab" rule. Closet Islamophobes/ racists much?? You know you can't get away with that b.s. in your home country!!!

I'm not talking about you btw. aaah it's 4am!

I think you may be mistaken

(on phone so sorry for mistakes)
Did you ever consider that there my be a "no hijab" rule so that people don't have to worry about offending people? I have a half sleeve tattoo and others and run shirtless in the evening. Do i personally care if i offend anyone. Not really.  but he thing is....i shouldnt have to worry about it.
Compounds....western compounds are a place we can be ourselves.  hence the no Saudi, certain outside region influences that would curtail that.  i cover my tattoos and put clear plugs in my piercing out of respect for the culture.  not wanting to have the reason to worry about the same is welcome.

There are women and men both that are self conscious and worry about offending. If a covered person is living in the compound, of any level, it can and will influence the way the minority conduct themselves in the presence
Im not saying it is wrong or right, Im saying it is a fact

No need for the trite use of islamaphobia. Not here

I wonder if you guys socialize (muslims & non-muslims)?

I grew up in Canada & the US for over two decades. I've lived on university campuses, buildings, neighborhoods where I lived among a diverse group of people. I have tatooed friends...friends from all backgrounds. I think I know a bit about the pluralistic society I come from. Do you think a muslim who chooses to stay in the compound is unaware of this?

I do. But there are people in Saudi hat have never met a Muslim.

They are who would complain. Not people like me or you.

Unfortunately you have to consider extremes from people who are uneducated or not aclimated  to other societies.
The purpose of compound is to let them live in their offtime as they wish. I stated above how regional wear would inhibit that

I don't agree with it, but thus is life.

Honestly, it's the same here. People stare at you, politely smile. Uncomfortable around you because you look different. When they get to know you, sometimes you hear "oooh, you're not what I expected"...not so uncommon to get this type of response from some folks. Yeah, it makes me feel uncomfortable too as a woman of color and as a Muslim!

Same thing re-played in KSA , except this time in a small confined space.

Because in America they can't.
Saudi is an inherently racist country, laws reflect that.  makes it easier for compounds to do as they wish

Thanks Sushi. Appreciate your thoughts.

:)

Just adding my 2 cents...

Im American, muslim and practice Hijab.
I was in a western compound for a couple months and although I didnt have a lot of people talk to me (nor did I talk to them) there certainly wasnt any racism.

Now Im in an apartment building that is only rented to westerners...I was asked if I am muslim because of being in hijab....but they rented to me anyway. Im not having any problems so far other than some open discussions about what hijab really is and how it works.

I love the fact that I get to choose who sees me...and Im certainly not going to subject my view on to anyone else. Why would I???

End of soap box speech!!!
:-)

...I was asked if I am muslim because of being in hijab....but they rented to me anyway.

Interesting

I love the fact that I get to choose who sees me...and Im certainly not going to subject my view on to anyone else. Why would I???

Exactly. That's what I want too, privacy and socialize the way I way choose to inside the compound. Don't want to feel confined!

Thanks Fifi! :)

Out of curiosity, western compounds cost a fortune to live in, people (me included) are will to pay the price to get what we see as a bit of home style normality. Why would you blow that level of money if you are happy to live in the local customs?
The compound I live has a no covering policy. There are a few strict Muslim families here but they get around this by the women never leaving the house, except to walk to the car.

josullivan wrote:

Out of curiosity, western compounds cost a fortune to live in, people (me included) are will to pay the price to get what we see as a bit of home style normality. Why would you blow that level of money if you are happy to live in the local customs?
The compound I live has a no covering policy. There are a few strict Muslim families here but they get around this by the women never leaving the house, except to walk to the car.

As I'm American, I want the same thing. I'm not sure why my sense of fashion should matter. What if I was partial to large hats?? Or I was morbidly obese and decided I like string bikinis.   Should I be banned from the compound?
I'm what I consider a modern and moderate Muslim. I believe Islam gives me choice. It also gives everyone else choice. The conservative, and sometimes shocking Saudi culture IS NOT ISLAM. It is one country's interpretation of it, and not accepted worldwide as the standard.

I want to live in a western compound exactly because of my Islamic beliefs:

We are all equal
We all have our own choices to make
No one has the right to judge me and what I do
I have no right to judge anyone else
Be nice to your neighbors. Socialize.
Spread peace and love wherever you go (not in that 60's hippy kinda way lol)

And for the record....no where in the Quran does it say women have to cover their faces or stay home. It's completely cultural and Saudi specific. The prophet Mohammed's most beloved wife was actually a well known and sucessful business woman. Go figure.

ironically....saudi specific applies....in saudi arabia lol

Freshlikesushi wrote:

ironically....saudi specific applies....in saudi arabia lol

Exactly making my point as to why, I as a Muslim, practicing hijab want to still live in a western compound!!!
I'm
Not
Saudi!!!

then shop well :)

just remember, isnt burger king hehehe.

Fifi-miller wrote:

I want to live in a western compound exactly because of my Islamic beliefs:

We are all equal
We all have our own choices to make
No one has the right to judge me and what I do
I have no right to judge anyone else
Be nice to your neighbors. Socialize.
Spread peace and love wherever you go (not in that 60's hippy kinda way lol)

what she said :)

josullivan wrote:

.... western compounds cost a fortune to live in, people (me included) are will to pay the price to get what we see as a bit of home style normality.

How much more expensive are they for singles? Can EFL teachers be able to afford to live in western compounds?

@ fotos&butterflies!
In short you should not face any problem by wearing Hijab any where in K.S.A
Exceptional 2% cases could be there..
Regards!

fotos&butterflies wrote:
josullivan wrote:

.... western compounds cost a fortune to live in, people (me included) are will to pay the price to get what we see as a bit of home style normality.

How much more expensive are they for singles? Can EFL teachers be able to afford to live in western compounds?

I think you would get a decent two bed apartment in the general community for about SAR25,000 a year. I live on on of the cheaper compounds and  a two bed place is SAR135,000. I think a one bed is about SAR110,000

I live at the Sahara Compound on Olaya St.  I see women in the compound wearing hijabs - does not bother me.  I say hi to them, they say hi back then we both go our separate, merry way.  :)

Sahara Compound is one of the older compounds that I know of but I like it because it is in the city center.  Restaurants/eating establishments within 2 square blocks of the place.  Shopping all over the place.  And, more importantly for me, it is 7 blocks from my office.  Heck, if you want to go to Dammam or Bahrain, the VIP Express bus is right outside the compound gate. :)

Just another data point - a one bedroom in  Sahara is 60K a year and a two bedroom is 70K.  I do not think there are 3 bedrooms apartments in the compound.

I know I am coming into this discussion terribly late, but I am confused. As a Western Muslim who is hoping to work in Saudi Arabia (preferably Medina, but more likely Riyadh) I cannot understand this line of reasoning. How on earth is making me uncomfortable by forcing me to adapt western clothing standards going to make me less uncomfortable around you? What do I care about your tattoo? That is your business just as my attire is my business. If you don't know that I prefer to dress Islamically because you have forced me to remove clothing will that make you less self-conscious? I have not changed by virtue of your policy. Wow. Are we really this undeveloped as a people?

tahirah53 wrote:

I know I am coming into this discussion terribly late, but I am confused. As a Western Muslim who is hoping to work in Saudi Arabia (preferably Medina, but more likely Riyadh) I cannot understand this line of reasoning. How on earth is making me uncomfortable by forcing me to adapt western clothing standards going to make me less uncomfortable around you? What do I care about your tattoo? That is your business just as my attire is my business. If you don't know that I prefer to dress Islamically because you have forced me to remove clothing will that make you less self-conscious? I have not changed by virtue of your policy. Wow. Are we really this undeveloped as a people?

You are only late by ermmmm 20 months to reply to this.

@tahirah53 Salam, did you work in Saudi then? Are you able to recommend any suitable places for Western Muslim expats, family orientated, ideally?

@fotos&butterflies Salam, did you work in Saudi then? Are you able to recommend any suitable places for Western Muslim expats, family orientated, ideally?

Am I too late, too?

Is anyone able to recommend any suitable places for Western Muslim expats, family orientated, ideally?

Hello Tariqtariq,

Indeed this is an old thread. Most participants are no longer active and I am closing the thread.

We recommend members not to revive old threads and to create their own topic on the forum so that active members might help them. I can se that you have already opened a new thread, which is a good thing.

All the best

Bhavna

[Topic Closed  - Old thread]

Closed