ESL CELTA Certificate Authentication - US school

Any forum members here earn their CELTA from the US?   If so, what steps did you have to take to have the certificate authenticated for the work permit? 

Thanks!

I didn't do anything except present the original.

Given that this type of certificate can be obtained through in-line, evening study, etc. they really don't carry the weight of a genuine uni degree.

Bottom line: I wouldn't bother.

Halfway is the resident expert on work permits.  You should PM him.

HALFWAY

Given the time involved to get the authentication from Cambridge, and input I've gotten from other inquiries I will hold off on this.   As stated earlier, VN gov't wants the college diploma for the permit.  Teaching credential is a school thing. 

If I'm wrong, the employer will tell me and I can source it then.

Hi, I'm from other country Philippines I would like also to know about the concern. Is it OK if I will follow to know also?

Thanks

CELTA is CELTA ... I don't think it matters where you have obtained it from. As I know, in Vietnam you need a teaching certificate and a university degree in order to be eligible for a work permit. If you apply for a work permit by yourself then probably you will never get it. If a school or an "agency" applies for you then everything will be OK.

ddn_ro wrote:

CELTA is CELTA ... I don't think it matters where you have obtained it from. As I know, in Vietnam you need a teaching certificate and a university degree in order to be eligible for a work permit. If you apply for a work permit by yourself then probably you will never get it. If a school or an "agency" applies for you then everything will be OK.

mulțumesc  :cool:

Cu multa placere! :)

@Anh Map & ddn_ro - In english please on this Anglophone forum! ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Sure ... Anh Map said "thank you" and I said "you are welcome".

When I got my first work permit, circa. 2010, the gov was making other teachers produce a teaching certificate, if they didn't have a university degree that related to education.  It wasn't the school who wanted to see one, it was the Ministry of Labour and War Invalids, a.k.a. the issuing authority.

Did that guy Peter ever get back to you on Facebook Roger?  He would know; whether he wants to bother answering is the question.

Teacher Mark wrote:

When I got my first work permit, circa. 2010, the gov was making other teachers produce a teaching certificate, if they didn't have a university degree that related to education.  It wasn't the school who wanted to see one, it was the Ministry of Labour and War Invalids, a.k.a. the issuing authority.

Did that guy Peter ever get back to you on Facebook Roger?  He would know; whether he wants to bother answering is the question.

As Mark says, if your degree is teaching related you don't need a CELTA or TESOL  or whatever else they come up with.

American notarisation baffles me now as it's changed in the last three years. Mark could go through the steps with you I'm sure.

Halfway wrote:
Teacher Mark wrote:

As Mark says, if your degree is teaching related you don't need a CELTA or TESOL  or whatever else they come up with.

American notarisation baffles me now as it's changed in the last three years. Mark could go through the steps with you I'm sure.

He has all of the American paperwork done.  Now it's just a matter of whether his CELTA needs to be sent to the UK for certification, validation, notorisation, or any of the other -ations that exist.

I'm done with getting things stamped and certified. 

If the CELTA needs to be authenticated I will do that from VN.  The turnaround takes too long and I don't want to have documents chasing me from UK>US>VN.