Banking in Bulgaria

I hope to move to bulgaria soon and to retire there. My pension etc will be paid to a Bulgarian bank account. Has anyone any advice about the banks and particularly charges for transferring money from UK to Bulgaria?
I'll be coming to Bulgaria next week and hope to open a bank account while I'm there

Hi Ronhill,
Welcome to Bulgaria.
I do not know what the UK bank will charge you but here you will have to pay a charge too. As far as I know the minimum is 10 units from the currancy or 0,1%. Do I make any sense?
V.

Thanks V your comments seems to be in line with what I read here.
I assume you're an ex pat? how are you liking it there?
Ron

No, I am Bulgarian from Sofia. My husband is from Scotland. Bulgaria is a very nice place to live. Which town are you moving to?

Coming on Friday flying into Burgas will stay in Varna for maybe 2 days and will go to Vileko Tarnovo on Sunday to look at properties and areas to live in. We were in VT back in March and looked at a number of properties and would now like to look more at the villages etc to see if they are suitable for an ex pat.lol
My partner is Bulgarian but I'm affraid I'm having difficulties learning the language

Ron

A lot of British people live in the Veliko Tarnovo area. For me it is a bit boring there. I think it is better Sofia area or Varna area. The airport is too far away in Veliko Tarnovo.
My husband lives in Sofia for 12 years now and he does not speak Bulgarian.
By the way the banks have very good interest rates for retired people. Much higher interests for the deposits. First Investment bank and Postbank have it. Maybe others do too. Just do not go to Alpha bank.

Hi Ron,
If you are talking about a UK state pension I think you will find it more beneficial to keep it going into a UK bank account and withdraw it via an ATM as needed. Private pension may be different but charges you can be sure there are.
The VT area is great, no sea breezes though which we could do with at the moment. I'm near Sevlievo, supposedly both the hottest and coldest place in Bulgaria (sometimes both on the same day!) I know the area pretty well so if I can help with anything I will if I can.
Ian

thanks for that Ian. Ultimately I'll have state and private pension so I'll suss out the banks when I come tomorrow

Hi, Ron. I am English and just opened an account in Bg - on the spot - and they converted my name into Cyrillic for the account details.
Later the notary said that the bank had used the wrong letters and there was an official translation of my name. He found this and we went back to the bank and changed it.
Otherwise endless complications with housebuying.
One of D. Rumsfeld's unknown unknowns!