Expats experts?

Do you think the new immigration rules will indeed protect local jobs? and what will be the adverse effects to Kenya (in general) by chocking back the expat community? Will we lose critical expat expertise? :-(

Nimo

Hello Nimo.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll be given answers to your questions.

Thank you,
Aurélie

I don't think that the new rules are chocking out the expat community.  I think the new rules are to protect jobs for Kenyans.  Governments are supposed to create/protect jobs for their citizens.  They're lots of well educated Kenyans who don't have jobs.  I've listened some of their horror stories.  They go through hell trying to get a job in their own country.  Expats are still welcome to Kenya as well.

i think what should happen is - let the expats come in to start their business, but it be that in as much as they hire more expats, atleast 50% of their employees should be kenyans and hired at all levels..this is why the government is trying very hard to foster international trade..i dont think the idea is to lock out expat investors (that would be very retarded of them) but rather control their influx.

@Suribhai its not just kenyans - its a global thing - employees all over the world are known to wait very anxiously for 5pm and for fridays..yes people want to relax after a tough week and have some fun..yes people want to leave the office in good time to rush for an evening class, or pick up their kids, rush to gym or just beat traffic..i dont see anything wrong with that.

Not many kenyans are interested in doing hard work.!!!! Most of them only wait for the friday to come and also everyday for 5:00 PM to come. This is the reason, many expats are hiring more expats for their jobs here. are you mad man!!
suribhai that is a comment that exposes your ignorance. Most kenyans are hardworking and very enterprsiing. i woked for an asian firm that hired so called Indian experts who sat all day on various sites and then stayed late to make the asian bosses think they are hard working. Some couldnt even draft proer client reports in English and i was busy doing their re work. As for technical dont get me started talk to some of the comapnies that hired so called SAP experts from India their counting millions in losses and actually hired a Germany and british to do the rework.
I invite you to visit most banks, consulting firms, hospitals, etc you will find we run the show now and gone are the days of Indian supremacy and am proud to say that we now have several small, mid and big businesses in kenya built by Kenyans.
as for investor confidence with the Euro crisis Kenya is seeing more and more investor interest, the numbers of foreigners we book everyday coming to invest are growing daily.Kenya had a dark period in the Moi era when opportunities were few but since 2002 with the opening of the markets kenyans are soaring. If you visited kenya in the 90s all shops in town centre and westlands were run by Indians now 90% Kenyans!!! industries were all Indian now Kenyans have taken over. Moi created an unfair system that made it impossible to invest and his corruption with indian (as illustrated clearly by Pattni during the goldenberg clearly demonstrated this i mean they use to send messengers like pattni to give him to get favour with government by favour think tax evasion)

First Suribhai its Ms. Njeri.
As for my profile I lived in London for 3 years while on secondment.
I have no problem with my national identity, am proud to be Kenyan while many people opted to make London their home, i opted to return and open my businesses all over Kenya and spread my expertise. I am in business in Kenya and I can tell you first hand the comments you made about Kenyans been 9-5 employees was uncalled for, thousands of people are reading this forum and thinking Kenyans are a lazy lot! don't pigeon hole people your opinions are limited to your office!!! and the comments of your fellow Indian friends who believe that because their expats they belong to a special class. Citizens of Kenya welcome expats and we are happy for the expert skills to improve Kenya but we also need to employ local. Employing a CPA from another country when Kenya is flooded with them is unnecessary. employing investment managers, fund managers, this makes sense as Kenya is still growing in this area though a number of Kenyans from the UK are relocating back to take up such jobs with leading banks and new foreign banks like HSBC.
If you lived in London, New York, Johannesburg, LA, ETC you would be amazed at the Kenyans at senior levels i just met a Kenyan in Newyork teaching at NYU and NASA a PHD in some technical area i cant even pronounce.....
Notice on this site we have lots of foreigners from all over the world but only Indians make the most thoughtless comments hence the reason Kenyans are slowly developing xenophobia towards them, soon it will be impossible for them to live here unless people like yourself starting thinking people expressing comments that generalize the whole work force in Kenya. secondly the whole business of dodging taxes and remitting salaries to India is another example of this. In the UK i paid my taxes in full the rate was 41% because  i was an expat i did my annual returns to get my cash back on a percentage of my expenses all expats should do. I respected their tax system the same way i respect KRA in Kenya.

Good keep it up, may be this is not the right place to say, who you are and what you have to do, you took things in wrong way. But i guess already got fed up of things here. good experience, bye bye, suggestions are always like arrows following me hahaha....

Good keep it up, may be this is not the right place to say, who you are and what you have to do, you took things in wrong way. But i guess already got fed up of things here. good experience, bye bye, suggestions are always like arrows following me hahaha....Wawuda and Almasi this was suribhai last comment he tried to sneak out of the topic but i traced it.....he is chickening out cause he knows evasion of taxes is a criminal offence. All kenyans on expat blg keep working hard and cooeprtaing with fellow expats to build a better Kenya, this is the generation to change Kenya.

hahahahaha copy this also....

i said arrows for what you meant in your earlier conversations, you are totally going mad. """he is chickening out cause he knows evasion of taxes is a criminal offence.""" what do you mean by that? can you please explain?

this needs to be shut down..

Thread closed for analysis.

Closed