Shipping items from Hungary to Australia

We seem to have accumulated more stuff than will fit in our suitcases to return home to Australia...
No furniture, but an antique typewriter (probably about 20kg), books, clothes and shoes.

I was about to buy some boxes and start sending stuff via local post, asking for the cheapest/longest time option (sea mail?) and just divide it all up into a few packages. We were going to leave the typewriter with family until we return.

Do you know of another option? I know that from the UK it's quite easy to ship things home to Aus. but have come up with no real answers when searching online for options from Hungary.

I don't want it to cost too much...

Thanks in advance!

Stephanie99 wrote:

..... but have come up with no real answers when searching online for options from Hungary.

Thanks in advance!

Unaccompanied baggage?

fluffy2560 wrote:
Stephanie99 wrote:

..... but have come up with no real answers when searching online for options from Hungary.

Thanks in advance!

Unaccompanied baggage?

I just got a quote for unaccompanied baggage - almost $1000AUD. WHAT?!!

Hi there. I just sent a largish box of stuff to Melbourne. My options were:

TNT express: 98,975 Ft (3 working days)
TNT economy express: 75,060 Ft (5 working days)

Hungarian Post:
Priority mail: 24,340 Ft (at least 10 days)
Ordinary mail: 22,125 Ft (at least 14 days)

I chose Hungarian priority mail, and it was fine. I got a Hungarian speaking colleague to get the quotes for me, and they came and picked up the box from my work. Very straightforward.

I know the weight/size of the box will affect the prices, but does this assist at all?

Margle wrote:

Hi there. I just sent a largish box of stuff to Melbourne. My options were:

TNT express: 98,975 Ft (3 working days)
TNT economy express: 75,060 Ft (5 working days)

Hungarian Post:
Priority mail: 24,340 Ft (at least 10 days)
Ordinary mail: 22,125 Ft (at least 14 days)

I chose Hungarian priority mail, and it was fine. I got a Hungarian speaking colleague to get the quotes for me, and they came and picked up the box from my work. Very straightforward.

I know the weight/size of the box will affect the prices, but does this assist at all?

Yep, it helps heaps, thank you! I think I will just take a box to the post office and get it sent the slowest way possible. We will be home in 2 months but no place to live as yet so it can go to my parents - no rush!
Approx how big/heavy was the box you sent?

Thanks again for the info!

Margle wrote:

I think I will just take a box to the post office and get it sent the slowest way possible. We will be home in 2 months but no place to live as yet so it can go to my parents - no rush!
Thanks again for the info!

Hi!
I think any Hungarian would point out here, that the Magyar Posta has a terrible reputation regarding getting items lost (i.e. stolen within the company). However, our experience is more regarding packages within or incoming to Hun. I was foolish enough once to send an electronics piece in original packaging(stupid!) from Germany to Bp. as a simple unregistered mail item and it never arrived (In my defence, I got used to Germany, the country where embassies send around passports by simple mail).
When I searched the internet for similar stories, I was shocked.
I am not aware of any good statistics (MPosta probably don't release those numbers), to tell whether packages, and those with some 'registration' tend to get lost as well, but having some service product enabling you to follow the item, and/or having some insurance is a good idea. Employing a different company, too.

Stephanie99 wrote:

If you are looking for the shipping rates/tariffs, go to :

http://posta.hu

Then in the search (i.e.: Keresés) box, type in (or copy and paste from here):

Pénzforgalmi díjszabások

Then click on on the first result which should be also "Pénzforgalmi díjszabások".

In the next page there is an option for:

Domestic and international postal tariffs

in English. This is a PDF file of current shipping rates. Package rates up to 10 kg on the second page, with the rates to Australia in the last set of columns on the right.