AETG

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this page and urgently need some help.
I've been offered a job by AETG teaching at Princess Nora University in Riyadh. I've not read very good things about this company and was wondering if any one working with them just now could give me any information about them.
Also they have said they would prefer me to go out on a visit visa though they said if I prefer they will organise a work visa, is it legal to go out on and work on a visit visa?
Finally they've offered me 38,400 dollars, is this a good rate?
I have a BA in English, an MA in arts and a Celta but limited teaching experience.
I would really appreciate whayever anyone could tell me here, Im freaking out a little..ps they want me there for the 25th of August!
thanks

A lot has been written on AETG.

Working on a visit visa is illeagal unless you have a business visit visa.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

Working on a visit visa is illeagal unless you have a business visit visa.

Not so.  Per the Saudi Embassy's US website, "Business visas do not grant the applicant the right to work or to reside in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia." (Source: http://www.saudiembassy.net/services/bu … visit.aspx)  Also, "Business visas are issued to: businessmen, investors, representatives of U.S. companies, managers, sales managers, sales representatives, etc."  These are folks who have employers or companies in their home countries and are visiting the Kingdom for the purpose of doing business and not for employment.  English teachers seeking employment certainly don't fall into this category. 

Mscaffiene: If you're waiting for someone to post good things about AETG, that wait's gonna be a long one.  Plus, the "employment" contract they'd expect you to sign and abide by won't be worth the paper it's printed on since you wouldn't be authorized to work in the country.  But seriously, if you're freaking out, follow your gut instinct.  There are other countries you could teach in and save money but without the aggravation from a dodgy contracting company.

Thanks to EB and Dave's ESL Cafe, I've steered clear of AETG. They emailed me giving me less than 24 hours notice for an interview ...on the 3rd and last day of interviews!!! :rolleyes:  Reading that article on Arab News helped me tremendously. I don't think I would have found it on my own. SO THANK YOU. You guys have been helpful.

Shout out to Alliecat...you are amazing (I've stalked your posts!).

My offer from Arabian Training and Education Group had a higher salary than you mention, but other items the same.  I would like to teach at Princess Nora and I want to live in a compound that has a gym, etc.
I have an offer from Saudi British Council (also teach at PNU), which is a bit higher salary.
I am trying to decide which to take.
It is such a shame we have to work for a company instead of being employed by the university itself.
Does anyone have an opinion as to whether AETG is better or worse than SBC ?

I have a feeling AETG is slightly worse than SBC. I like to know the answer too. (Already declined AETG.)

I talked with one of the teachers who has worked for AETG for over two years.  She said that the reason the company is telling candidates now to apply for a visit visa is because the application process is shorter.  It will take longer to fulfill the requirements for the employment visa that leads to the iqama.
Since the semester begins on Saturday, AETG wants the teachers to be here as soon as possible.

I have gone with SBC.. I heard they treated teachers quite badly in the past but apparently they have significantly improved. I hope this is the case anyway! (a little worried now...)

38,000 USD is not bad especially considering that you have little teaching experience. I am on around 45,000 USD but I have about 10 years of teaching experience.

I would just go and see how you feel. If it doesn't work out then you come home at the end of the year with a pot of money.

Hi guys,

About to start employment working for AETG in about 2 weeks.  Trying to get information from them is like drawing blood from a stone.  Just wondering if there are any other westerners out there who are working for them and can give me some useful information about the accommodation, work environment, management, everything really?

Everything I have read online is pretty negative, so hopefully someone has something positive to say.

Thanks a lot, it is greatly appreciated.

Eem

hi,
As university is under royal family and they are giving u visit visa so u dun have to worry about that.If they ill give u visit visa it ill b mention that u r the responsibily of University and as i said this university is under Royal family so no worries abt this matter.

sameer_90 wrote:

hi,
As university is under royal family and they are giving u visit visa so u dun have to worry about that.If they ill give u visit visa it ill b mention that u r the responsibily of University and as i said this university is under Royal family so no worries abt this matter.

:rolleyes:

i think u r not satisfied with my answer.please share ur thoughts or give us better suggestion if u have :-))

sameer_90 wrote:

i think u r not satisfied with my answer.please share ur thoughts or give us better suggestion if u have :-))

You gave an idealistic answer that, unfortunately, is far from being accurate.

This topic has been discussed many times; Google custom search AETG Saudi Arabia if you want to know the reality of the situation and understand why I rolled my eyes at your post.

m with u bro but i gave answer according to my less exp .since 18 yrs wt i can see wt i observe. :-) u knw for student its not allowed to work recently i have supplied 20 students as a translators for US marines where they worked with US marines and saudi marines.wt is this ??every day four checkpost checked their iqamas where its mention they r student but they did't stopped them because they are working for US and Saudi marines.So any firm or department which belongs to government or any royal family they ill protect their self eventhough its not allowed by government :-) u r right according to ur info

Not the same thing, though.  These teachers are hired by recruiters, not the University. 

A similar situation: I happen to work for a governmental entity that contracts cleaning and garden workers through an outside agency.  These people are treated horribly by the contractor but my company considers it not their problem since these people aren't actual company employees.  I myself consider it unconscionable.

yes m with u .u r right if these teachers are hired by recruiters then its not safe for them i thought maybe direct by university so then there is no problem.anyway u won :-)))

sameer_90 wrote:

yes m with u .u r right if these teachers are hired by recruiters then its not safe for them i thought maybe direct by university so then there is no problem.anyway u won :-)))

Maybe I won but there's no joy in it.  I wish *you* were right!

lolz u won the race without any joy i should gv u some prize :P

sameer_90 wrote:

lolz u won the race without any joy i should gv u some prize :P

Money is always acceptable :P

Hi there!

So I've accepted a job offer with AETG after reading everything. I'm probably going to face a lot of problems, but I'm going to try my best to handle the situation as positively as possible. I'm hoping my experience will at least be decent.

But I would love to hear from anyone who is currently working with them! I'll be arriving in Riyadh in 10 days- very excited to be in KSA!

Sally

Just to point out, before any other men post in this thread, female tutors at AETG get different accommodation, workplace, workmates and students.  It'd be pointless for the Op's interest therefore for someone like me to say what I think working there.  On the male side (for all you plucky males reading this) yes, there have been problems, but where haven't there been?  Problems have been made to go away in the main as higherups got more hands on, and from what I can see, there is little, if anything, to point at that would demonstrate a continuance of the issues that have been reported in the past.

Beakersful wrote:

Just to point out, before any other men post in this thread, female tutors at AETG get different accommodation, workplace, workmates and students.  It'd be pointless for the Op's interest therefore for someone like me to say what I think working there.  On the male side (for all you plucky males reading this) yes, there have been problems, but where haven't there been?  Problems have been made to go away in the main as higherups got more hands on, and from what I can see, there is little, if anything, to point at that would demonstrate a continuance of the issues that have been reported in the past.

How do you mean? Are female teachers better accomodated than male ones?

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question.  I'd imagine less than 10mins after popping round to investigate I'd be in the police hands and less than 24hrs later I'd be on a plane home.

AETG 101 (Experience of a Single Female Working at the Academy)
Ladies & gents, what I am posting below are the bits of information that I discovered after I have moved here. This is strictly my own experience as a Single Female working for AETG. I hope this is useful for people who are considering AETG.
Saudi Culture
Weekdays
Weekdays are from Saturday – Wednesday.
Weekends
The weekend in KSA is Thursday and Friday. Friday is Al Jumaa (Sabath day for Muslims). The men have obligatory prayer around noon time.
Attire
All women in KSA are required to wear an abaya (long black dress). When you arrive at the airport, the company driver provides you with an abaya. You can later purchase your own if you'd like. Women here are also required to cover their hair, although many teachers who work for Al Faisal Academy do not cover their hair most of the time because in the schools you take off the abaya and headscarf.
Holidays
Every year, there are 2 very big national holidays: Eid al Fitr (End of Ramadan) and Eid al Adha (sacrificing the sheep & hajj time). Both of these holidays are 10 days off and paid. Also, the company gives teachers 1 week paid vacation (you chose the week off you want) on top of the end of year 1month paid vacation that is offered in your first year of your contract (I believe after your first year, you can negotiate your conditions).
Mood
Listen, the atmosphere here is different compared to Western countries. Things happen slower in KSA. Communication is not an emphasis here. But, you know what.. this is OK. I believe there needs to be a balance in the world. Here, people are more relaxed. Sometimes, they say “Inshallah (God willing), I will do this for you tomorrow” instead of today. If whatever you need is not urgent, then come back tomorrow. If it is absolutely urgent (for example a SIM card to call your family), then say “No, I want it today” and don't leave the office till you get it. Say it politely but firmly. And, you will get it. Most other days, just keep happy and don't rush. The pace in the states is much faster, there is more demand and people get things immediately. It's not like that here. You drink a cup of tea, do small talk, say Inshallah a couple of times, and then get what you want tomorrow. Just accept this and you will be happy. Keep yourself busy. Read a book, surf the web, do things for you.
Iqama (Residence Permit)
An Iqama is necessary for a person in Saudi to open up a bank account, buy a SIM card, and obtain an exit visa, etc. I got mine in 1 week. People tell me I am really lucky. I think that I am more persistent than most others. I went to the HR office a couple times a day until they completed all that I needed.
For an iqama, you need to give the company your passport, 2 passport pictures, and a medical report conducted in Saudi. Then the HR department gets you the card and returns your passport back.
Another Medical Report
You must have a full medical report with lab results to enter Saudi completed by a doctor in your home country. Then, when you arrive in Saudi, you get another medical report done here (they take blood, urine, and stool). Pay attention to which clinic you go to for this report because not all clinics do medical reports for Iqamas. Either go to Al Muhammedia Clinic or Al Mursalat Clinic. The medical report cost me 70 riyals ($18 USD). Then the company reimbursed me for this. You need to go to the clinic on your own free time. Ask HR to arrange one of the company drivers to drop you off and pick you up.
Reimbursement
I submitted my receipts for my medical and visa expenses (which totaled to be ~$1,100 USD) and received a check 3 days after. I know some teachers who have been working at the company for 2 months who still haven't received their reimbursement. Am I lucky? Once again, the answer is no. I politely went to the HR office at least once a day and this reminded them that they needed to get my stuff done. The HR office is understaffed in my opinion and they have MANY things to do, so sometimes things get backlogged. But the girls are super nice and friendly. So things can happen if you are 1)polite and 2) persistent.
SIM card
You should get a SIM card immediately after you arrive. But if you don't, ask for it every day (couple times a day if you have to). Someone from the company uses their own iqama to buy the SIM cards, so once you get your SIM card, insist on getting the ID number (aka iqama #) of the person who bought the SIM card. Or else you will have a hard time recharging (adding more credit) onto your account/card. The company also gives you a new phone (which is an old nokia phone).
Lodging
Lodging is provided by the company, so you do not pay rent, electricity, water, etc.
If you are a single female working for AETG, you are provided a nice living arrangement in a complex of villas in a compound called Al Murooj Compound. This compound is very close to Riyadh Gallery (a beautiful mall). Also for some perspective, this compound is on a side street off of Olaya Street (again near Riyadh Gallery; you can Google maps the area type “Al Murooj, Riyadh”).
Own Room
Each female gets her own room. It's very spacious (about 20ftx18ft). The bedroom is furnished (bed w mattress, closet dresser to hang clothes, mirror with table, desk with chair). The company also provides each person with bedding (pillow, comforter, bed sheet, smaller pillow). It's not the best of quality, but it's better than nothing. And most of us have our own bathroom (sink, shower, toilet). You buy your own toilet paper and other toiletries. My bathroom is outside my room, in the hall. The outlets are even American/British, so I don't need to use adaptors in the villas (if you have Asian chargers, you will need adaptors).
Common Spaces
There is a large living room with a TV in each villa. And a large Kitchen (with a fridge, stove/oven, sink). The kitchen comes with most of the utensils needed (like cups and plates). Although I recommend bringing your own knives because the ones in my kitchen are so dull that my spoons cut better.
Laundry
There is a washing machine for every villa right outside every villa in the porch area. Clothes air dry. You need to buy your own laundry detergent.
Cleaning
Every villa should have a broom, mop, bucket, etc. You buy your own cleaning detergents. If you want the company cleaning ladies to clean your villa or a portion of it, they can do this. Just ask them. For example, they cleaned the living room, kitchen, hallway and bathroom for 30 riyals ($8 USD). The entire house can be done for 50 riyals ($14 USD). They do a very good job.
Internet
Every villa has their own modem with their own passkey. Ask you other villa-mates about the passkey to access the internet. It's generally a good internet, sometime it slows down, but mostly it's good.
Problems?
If you have any problems with your living space, you need to contact the compound manager, which in our current case is a woman named Fawzia. She is lovely (limited English) but generally helps out the best she can.
Working at the Academy
First day
The administration generally puts you to work immediately. I arrived on a Thursday late night (so the weekend). I had a day to myself. Then Saturday, I was immediately thrown to teach, which was a tad bit shocking because there was no orientation or training. But, they provide you with books, the syllabus for each class, and your schedule. Honestly, the work is very easy, in my opinion. Just don't expect an orientation. You will learn all you need to from the other teachers. Although, your best source is the Director of the English Department. Just all your questions to her or her assistant. They are very friendly and helpful. Sometimes, the other teachers are not as clear in answering questions, so just go straight to the source.
Hours
We have a double shift at Al Faisal Academy. You work 8am-12pm, go home (do whatever you like) from 12pm-3:30pm, and work again from 4pm-8pm. So there is a morning shift and an evening shift. It can be exhausting at first, so prepare yourself mentally. But, everyone gets used to it. Some teachers, like myself, nap during the 3 hour break.
Classes
Classes here are generally 1 month long. So every month a level finishes. I started working at the beginning of the month. There are a total of 12 levels = 12 months. You teach many different levels during the day. For example, I currently teach Level 12 conversation, Level 5 Reading, Level 4 Reading&Writing, and Level 2 Listening & Speaking.
Grading
Every class has presentations, midterm and final. Listening&Speaking (aka conversation) classes also have Orals. There is a “Main teacher” who is assigned to one class for grading midterms and finals for a specific class. The main teacher is responsible for obtaining the exams from the office or other teachers, grading the exams, and then filling out an excel sheet with all the grades to submit to the office. Ask the Director of the English Dept. to email you all the necessary excel sheets.
Dress Code
The teachers are required to wear a long (ankle length) black skirt to work. If you have one, bring one with you. Although, it is very easy to buy one here at the malls and skirts are cheaper here. The malls are in walking distance to our compound. Or you can take a taxi to the malls (cost: 10 riyal / $3 USD one way). You can wear whatever you want as a shirt as long as it is Ÿ sleeve or long sleeves. No short sleeves or tank tops without a long sleeve black jacket. On the first day of classes (first class day of every month), it is required that you wear your black skirt AND a white long sleeve shirt). After the first day of classes, you can wear any shirt you like as long as the sleeves are long enough.
At the university, again you must wear a long ankle-length skirt and long sleeves. Black skirt is preferable although I think they are more lenient with the colors of the skirts there.
Location of Academy
Al Faisal Female Academy is right next to Riyadh bank and across from the Kindgom Schools on King Abdulaziz Road in the town Ar Rabi. It is a 10 minute drive from Al Murooj Compound. Al Faisal Male Academy is on Olaya street right across from the street the compound is on.
To Work for University
To work at Princess Noura University, the administration requires that you are at least 23 years old and have at least 2 years of experience. A masters is a plus and highly recommended.
Transportation
First things first, women cannot drive in Saudi. You must get a driver, a male friend to drive, taxi, etc.
To Work From Compound & Back
A 25-person bus drives all the teachers from work. You don't have to pay for this. The company covers transportation to and from work. The bus leaves every morning at 7:40am sharp for the morning shift and 3:40pm for the evening shift! If you miss the bus, you have to pay for your own taxi to the academy. Although, in the beginning, when you first arrive, they are more lenient to new comers, and they will send a driver to pick you up. The drive to and from the academy from the compound takes 10 minutes.
Transportation for Personal Errands
During the weekday (Saturday – Wednesday) the company does NOT provide transportation. If you need to run errands (go to the bank, go shopping, etc.) you need to get a taxi. However, on the weekend (Thursday & Friday) the company provides a limited number of drivers from 4pm-9pm. Outside these hours, you need to get a taxi, which can be frustrating.
Salary & Banking
Everyone gets paid once a month here at the end of the Gregorian month. If you arrive in the middle of the month, the company pays you for the days you worked. Once you get your iqama, you will set up a bank account with Saudi Fransi Bank. They have online banking. And once you set up your account, you provide HR with your account number so they can automatically deposit your salary into your account. When you get your debit (aka ATM) card from the bank, use it at a Saudi Fransi ATM first. If you use it for the first time at another ATM, they will charge you a fee. So use your ATM card at their ATMs and then you will be able to use other ATMs.  When buying exit visas, you can easily pay the Ministry of Interior 200 riyals for an one-time exit+reentry visa on the online banking website. Once you paid for it, you inform HR, and they will right up a letter (which is your visa) for you to use to exit and travel outside KSA.
BTW, there are over 60 female teachers working for AETG. None of them ever complain about their salary amount or being on time.
Shopping
Market : around the corner from the compound. Literally 2-3 min walk. Has all the basics like bread, milk, etc.
Riyadh Gallery: 10-15min walk from compound or 3-4min drive with taxi (10 riyals). You need to cross the Olaya street. Very huge mall. You will find almost everything that you need here including groceries, clothes, brand makeups, icecream stands, phones, etc.
Hayat Mall: also a beautiful mall about 10 min drive (15 riyals). Everything you need, plus Jirar bookstore (which is awesome for books, stickers, pens, markers, decorations, etc.)
Cintoria Mall: Haven't been there yet, but heard it's really nice, and expensive :)

Grocery shopping
I'm a very petite girl. So I don't eat all that much. My weekly grocery shopping costs me ~150-200 riyals ($40-60 USD). Monthly, this totals to about $200 USD.  If you eat out at restaurants and/or buy coffee daily, your monthly food expenses will obviously be higher. BTW, at these super markets, you will find EVERYTHING you need. I'm not even joking. Almost all Western foods (chips, juices) as well as the local ones. So no need to fret about what you are going to eat here. There's even a Gluten-free aisle!

Social Life
Honestly, I don't know why people come here and complain so much. I moved to California last year, and I was bored for the first week! This is the reality of moving to a new place: you will be bored the first week or so because YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T KNOW HOW IT ALL WORKS YET. And this is OK. You will learn, and you will be happy. Be patient (something we –Americans- do not have). Even as a woman (where you can't drive), you can do things on your own. I took a taxi by myself to the Turkish embassy yesterday to attend their annual Bazaar/Spring Festival. Once you figure the system out, you can do things. It's important to know how to make friends though.  After making a few acquaintances, you can ask questions and find out how to move around and attend different events and have them go places with you.
Embassy Events
All the embassies here (located in the Diplomatic Quarter, about 20 minutes from Al Murooj Compound) host events and parties. You must be invited to these events. But, as an expat, it's not too difficult. You just need to make friends, that's all. Side note and a word of advice: don't talk too much. People who talk about themselves for wayyyy tooo long, are not liked. But this is everywhere in the world! Ask questions, listen, say something equally as long, then ask another question and get the other person talking. Remember, they know more than you do, so they should do the talking more, right?! Anyway, back to the embassy events, for example, the French Embassy hosts plays, the Turkish and American Embassies host their annual bazaars (where you can shop, eat, listen to live music, dance), etc. etc. etc. These are usually hosted over the weekend here. How do you find out about these events? Get on a mailing list! In order to do this, ask the other teachers, they will know how to get you on the mailing list! There is a compound-AETG coordinator, who is Western, and she emails all this information to the teachers. When you arrive, find out who she is (currently it is Nicole Kard) and go introduce yourself!
Personal Parties
People have their own personal parties that many of the teachers attend. Sometimes the parties are on our compound, sometimes they are on another company's compound. Again, make friends and politely ask if you could come. I do not recommend inviting yourself on the first day you arrive. Be patient. The other  teachers are nice here, but they are also cautious. You need to prove yourself as a safe, reliable person before they invite you to their parties, and this is fair.
Annual Dinner for Teachers
Every year, the company hosts a beautiful dinner right in the middle of the compound for all the female teachers (University teachers and Academy teachers). Tables are set up on the grass, and amazing food is cooked for us. It's a fun time to meet the other female teachers and socialize. Don't be shy, and make friends! The date of this dinner in 2013 was March 19, 2013.
Traveling
Once you get an exit visa (there are 2 types: one time exit&reentry or multiple exit&reentry), you can travel anywhere. Teachers here go to Dubai, Istanbul, Cairo, etc. over the weekend or during the longer breaks. I'm going to Istanbul in mid April! So there are many opportunities to travel once you have been settled.
Things I recommend bringing: (on top of your own personals)
•LONG BLACK SKIRT and white long-sleeved shirt (need for work!)
•Your own towels (bath and kitchen towels)
•A Kitchen knife
•Snack(s) for the trip & first few days here
•Book(s) - see NYTimes Bestsellers

You can buy this stuff here, but you might not be able to go shopping immediately so these things will keep you alive and sane for the first few days.

Transportation
First things first, women cannot drive in Saudi. You must get a driver, a male friend to drive, taxi, etc.

An unrelated male?

Well it's technically illegal for an unrelated male to drive you. But then again all the taxi drivers and personal drivers are unrelated, right. So just technically.

Their Iqama says their job role on it, so that's probably how they can operate as they do.  Doubt your male coworkers at the academy round the corner from you could swing round and take you or any of your neighbours out on one of our little trips.

Beakersful wrote:

Their Iqama says their job role on it, so that's probably how they can operate as they do.  Doubt your male coworkers at the academy round the corner from you could swing round and take you or any of your neighbours out on one of our little trips.

Oh! its a bit risky to do that, considering they may face deportation IF caught. But you can work around by moving with couples, that's totally allowed

slyshooter wrote:
Beakersful wrote:

Oh! its a bit risky to do that, considering they may face deportation IF caught. But you can work around by moving with couples, that's totally allowed

Useful to know!

The information is very useful..thank you for posting it.

Thank you for your reply. Your answer is very clear and precise. Also, you transitional advice is great! I have read only negative comments concerning A E T G.  Now I have a positive point of view.

Once again thank you

Hello,

Recently got a contract from AETG and after reading all the comments I am reluctant to sign it. Anybody working with the male teaching side of things at the moment give me any advice? What is the actual work like. The contract isn't clear on a few things so I would really love to hear from you.

Bump!

Likewise, I've had an offer since December 2012 but have been delaying signing it until I am satisfied enough by hearing from people who are out there.

Any males who are currently working there? Care to share your experiences so far?

Thanks!

Thank you for the detailed information, Sally.  It is so helpful.

Does anyone have any comments on the recently publicized case of Norwegian woman being raped in Dubai. Is there any problem with safety in Riyadh?

Olinda0798 wrote:

Does anyone have any comments on the recently publicized case of Norwegian woman being raped in Dubai. Is there any problem with safety in Riyadh?

Read this: http://www.vg.no/nyheter/utenriks/midto … d=10112152

Rules and conditions are different here in KSA from UAE.  It's chalk and cheese on the surface of things.

Hi I am working with AETG at the moment. been here a few months, this company AETG Alfaisal academy has gone downhill fast since i have been here.
At the moment i can safely say that it is the worst company to work for. at the male branch you will only be working a split shift which means 8 - 12 in the morning and 5 - 9 in the evening, there are no other options unless if you get sent to some godforsaken corner of the country.
the contract you will sign is not worth the piece of paper it is written on. they will constantly lie to you and will show no interest with regards to your needs or requirements.
men's accommodation is a cockroach and rat infested building with the rooms size of a cupboard and leaking bathrooms.
Also, AETG are the least paying company in the while of saudi arabia, and they will try to swindle you out of any money they can once you decide to leave.

I'm sorry things are so bad for you.  Thanks for the update--maybe it will help somebody else.

AETG is not a good company to work for, I learned the hard way that they will not give u the proper VISA, and will lie to your face even when you confronted them with hard facts..also They lost their contracts with Al-Baha University, PNU and a Dammam Project, with only the Al-Faisal Academy as a option...also the women's compound will be changed to an apartment in a few months. And they've already been letting go some teachers because they lost all of their big contracts