Need current information regarding living in Rwanda

Anyone currently there, could you please post your thoughts on the following (any/or all). I am an American thinking of moving to Kigali in 2010.

1. International Schools for Expats: Which is the best rated?

2. Internet/phones: Is DSL/High Speed available? How about Mobile phone service? How expensive is it?

3. Housing: I was surprised to find housing to be quite expensive when I looked online. I would be looking for a 4 bedroom/3 bathroom house with a yard (dog).

4. Safety/Security: Do you need an Askari (Guard) when you live in private housing?

5. General cost of living: (Laudry, haircuts etc etc).

Thanks in advance.

Hi, that is so nice of you to post that. Please post some information about cost of living; private schools and jos for foreigners if you would.

Thanks again,

Zenaiya

1. International Schools for Expats: Which is the best rated?

2. Internet/phones: Is DSL/High Speed available? How about Mobile phone service? How expensive is it?

3. Housing: I was surprised to find housing to be quite expensive when I looked online. I would be looking for a 4 bedroom/3 bathroom house .

4. Safety/Security: Do you need an Askari (Guard) when you live in private housing?

what is required if i want to oben small bisness ,conditions,

Hi

re. housing, most people here have a night guard and also a 'domestique' (cleaner/cook), who doubles up as a 'guard' by being in the house all day.

ISK and Green Hills are both good. ISK is newer. I understand that Green Hills has some issues with badly behaved kids - probably because there are lots of politician's kids in Green Hills and they won't be told what to do!

Living in Kigali can be quite expensive, 'expat' food (cheese etc) especially.

Getting around is easy - motorbike taxis, private taxis and buses if you don't have a car. The main roads are excellent if you have a car.

Kigali and Rwanda are both very beautiful places - with a great climate too.

There are 3 options for mobile phone networks - MTN is the biggest with ok service, Tigo is new with good 3g internet and Rwandatel also has good internet. All 3 have different options for calls/internet. DSL/cable is mostly used by businesses and is pretty expensive. Though the East African cable should be set up in Rwanda in 2010, which will make it cheaper.

Haircuts are cheap - in local 'saloons' around £4/$7, in top hotels from around £8/$14.

Hope this is helpful

hello,
about the International Schools for Expats:we have also Riviera high School(you can visit it online:http://rivierahighschool.org/!

Actually you don't need an Askari.there security everyehere u go in Rwanda. its very safe
Thanks and you are welcome!!!!

hi please I would like some information on the cost of average of rent in cheap areas where common people reside coz I would like to mingle with the local people and know them better

Hey Yoda, you may already be here but to give you some input.

1. International Schools for Expats: Our kids are at KICS (Kigali International Community School) and we have been very happy.  I hear ISK is also good but expensive.  I have heard of the behavior issues at Green Hills but can not speak to it.

2. Internet/phones: Cell phone coverage is decent but not cheep.  Blackberry or hacked iphone coverage is like $100 month.  Internet is an entirely different issue.  terrible service and very expensive.  i have 256k service (advertised but rarely rec'd) via MTN for $400 usd per month.

3. Housing: Outrageously expensive and landlords will ask for a year or more upfront. 1500 to 2000 usd will get you a good looking family house with good space but your wiring and plumbing will most likely need constant repair - poor quality parts and shoddy installation.

4. Safety/Security: Do you need an Askari (Guard) when you live in private housing?  Yes.  reported break-ins are on the rise.  safety is often touted as a benefit of the iron rule of law here, and it is much safer than anywhere else in the region but don't get overly comfortable. 

HIGH, Rwanda is very expensive in general do to having some of the highest goods transport costs in Africa.  no railroad or manufacturing system and high import taxes so everything but basic local food goods are imported the slow expensive way over the mountains by truck.  launder shirts at about $5 each, buzzcut is $10. we spend about 40 a month on water service, 200 on electric (no AC system), fuel is very expensive, vehicle costs are out of this world (pack one in a container and ship it over - expect to pay 20,000 for mid 90's landcruiser).  Fruits and Veg are good price, unemployment is very high which keeps the cost of household help very low and many expats choose to hire staff that live on site for security, yard and household maintenance. 

Rwanda is beautiful, clean and mild.  It gets a bit slow so expect to explore some travel opportunities in the region.

Best of luck,

Hi all:

My husband and I will be living in Kigali for about six weeks.  We have a place to stay, but I'm wondering how to do laundry while we're there.  Are there laundromats, do folks take in washing?  How would we find a place?

Thanks,

Beth