Zambia-cost of living

My daughter will be serving as a missionary in Zambia, about 40 miles from Lusaka. I would like to know about the cost of living in this area.

Welcome on Expat-blog!

I moved the thread on the Zambia forum.

Good luck
Christine

that is one thing i also want to know

Hotels are very expensive in Zambia. I have been travelling to Lusaka/Ndola practically every week for two days from Nairobi and in Lusaka guest houses are in the range of $250 per day. In Ndola it's close to $110 per day. I should be permanantly moving into Ndola in about 30-45 days then I can tell you the cost of living.

At the Kilimanjaro Lodge out off Leopard's Hill road it's only $80 a night. The Backpacker's Lodge right in the middle of town is only $12-30 (chachachasafaris.com/).  We've lived here since January and I've found that if you eat and buy locally it's pretty inexpensive.  If you buy ANYTHING imported -- clothes, tools, kitchen supplies, etc. -- it's at least double the cost (because of the import tax and transport costs).  Even when we stayed at the Intercontinental or Taj Pamodzi it was only $190 a night.  Belvedere Lodge is $60 a night.  There are lots like this.  Ex-pat housing is sky high though (ex-pat housing = houses similar to ones Westerners live in back home).

I stay at Chabanga Lodge Ndola which costs $85 per day. The Savoy is $120. In lusaka I'm staying at Binnie's which is $150.

I too would like to know the cost to living in Lusaka as an expatriate if company provides me accommodation & car

Would appreciate if someone from here could give me some idea about hotel/lodge rates - I intend visiting Zambia sometime soon and would like to get to know what sort of money I need to  bring.

I lived in Lusaka many moons ago and always had Zambia close to my heart - lot of sentiment attached with the beautiful country.

I am more keen on the budget hotels rather that the five star hotels.

Cheers