Living in chennai for six month

Hi! I will come to Chennai and do some research works at IIT-M research park, probably end of Sept/early Oct. I have never been to/live in India before, so totally have no idea what it is like there, just gathering info from the net. I need info and tips especially to plan for the accommodation and transportation.

1. Where should I stay for six months? Im looking for a place (good and safe) near IIT-M research park. Should I rent an apartment or stay at guest house? I will come to Chennai alone but my husband/mum/dad/sister will come to visit sometimes. Perhaps can buddy up with other female expats for houseshare? How much will it costs?

2. Hows the public transport in Chennai? Is it safe? Is it easy to get cab and hows the fare? Should I rent a car for six months (although they say its really challenging to drive there)?

hope you guys give me some info. tq :)

Hi  Nur AR !

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Dont worry. there are several ladies hostels are available in chennai. u can use it off. renting house is costlier and also not easy for women alone. there are so many state transport buses are available with cheap cost. u can make use of it.if any helps need in detail u pls chat me

yes there are a lot of PG's but if you prefer a room for yourself, I suggest to move in with a female partner or look out for girls looking for flatmates on the following websites.

sulekha.com

quickr.com

hey when your gonna stay in chennai for 6months i think you should rent a car coz the taxi fare are bit expensive and about your living i think you should share an apartment with some female expat coz in ladies hostel your family members wouldnt be allowed to stay whn they visit.
so it would be good to rent a car and stay in a apartment
for any more details you can add me and pm me.:-)

regars
bharath kumar

Nur AR wrote:

Hi! I will come to Chennai and do some research works at IIT-M research park, probably end of Sept/early Oct. I have never been to/live in India before, so totally have no idea what it is like there, just gathering info from the net. I need info and tips especially to plan for the accommodation and transportation.

1. Where should I stay for six months? Im looking for a place (good and safe) near IIT-M research park. Should I rent an apartment or stay at guest house? I will come to Chennai alone but my husband/mum/dad/sister will come to visit sometimes. Perhaps can buddy up with other female expats for houseshare? How much will it costs?

2. Hows the public transport in Chennai? Is it safe? Is it easy to get cab and hows the fare? Should I rent a car for six months (although they say its really challenging to drive there)?

hope you guys give me some info. tq :)

Hi, welcome to chennai. In short here are my advices for you. Chennai is the most safest place compared to anyother cities in India. You are always amidst crowd and rush so crime is less. BTW your choices could be to find a PG accomodation within IIT if you can if a trusted source. Else there are so many ladies hostels and economical flats on rent on the OMR road. Though Adyar and Besant Nagar are comparitively expensive. It depends on what you are looking for. If you want to spend much time on research and nothing much on social life, your PG or ladies guest house should be just good. But if you prefer partying and late night outs then you may have to check into a flats in a gated community for an economical pitch in OMR or for a premium pitch in adyar or besant nagar. If commute is no problem then you have fun stay at the heart of the city near nungambakkam, choolaimedu, anna nagar, t.nagar, mahalingapuram from where you transport connectivity are good and very much within heart of the city .

Hello im prashanth and am from Chennai..there a Lotta nice apartments around your work area and even the beach is very close by so renting an apartment should not be a problem.with regard to public transport,its safe but very crowded so I guess its better for you to rent a car or rent an autorikshaw to pick you up and drop you..if you need anymore information or help regarding renting an apt or transport,feel free to message me so long selamat datang.

Hi Prashanth - maybe you should know that this post is quite old :)