CONCIDERING MOVING TO SANTO DOMINGO FROM STATES

HELLO..... I RECENTLY VISITED SANTO DOMINGO AND FELL IN LOVE WITH THE CITY SO MUCH THAT I AM CONSIDERING MOVING THERE. MOST OF MY JOB EXPERIENCES HERE IN THE STATES HAS BEEN IN A CUSTOMER SERVICE/CALL CENTER ENVIORMENT EVEN THOUGH I HAVE A B.A IN MARKETING AND PUBLIC RELATIONS. I SPEAK ENGLISH AND SPANISH, ENGLISH BEING MY NATIVE LANGUAGE AND FLUENT SPANISH AS MY SECONDARY WITH THE ABILITY TO READ, AND WRITE IN BOTH. ANY LEADS THAT ANYONE COULD OFFER WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.....LOOK FORWARD TO THE RESPONSES :)

Have you spent time anywhere else in the country?  If not I would reccomend that you do so before settling on one area. If your current situatiion allows for it. Take a couple of months and explore the country.
Just visiting and falling in "love" usually does not turn out well.  You need to gather information before making an decision.

Bob K

Visit often first.

Of course there are always mixed opinions on making a move, but you have to do what is right for you.  I moved here two months ago to teach high school, w/out ever even visiting the DR and w/out knowing any Spanish.  And it's been a great experience so far, though I wish I could communicate.  A lot of people can't do that though, it depends on your personality.  I'm going to recommend Carpe Diem but do your research and find a job before making the plunge.  Post what kind of job you are interested in or hoping for and I can see if I can find any contacts for you.  Good luck!!  :)

There are lots and lots of call centers who will hire you here in  Santo Domingo. So here is the question: can you live on about US 700 per month?  That is the starting salary.  Now maybe you can get a job as trainer or supervisor or whatever but make sure you can live on a regular salary.

No one will hire you until you are here.  Take the plunge -after you do your homework - then you will easily find a job. Remember you will need to start the process of applying for the right to work here.  You will need "residencia"  I can refer you to Wilson Rood, a really good English speaking lawyer here in the capital. [email protected]   GOOD LUCK and let us know how your process unfolds.

Hi, CatVo!

I was just browsing the blogs and saw yours... It takes a lot of guts to do what you did... Moving to DR without ever visiting the country or speaking the language!

Anyway, I was just curious to know how your life has turned out and it you still love the DR!

Hope you are doing extremely well!

Saludos!