Moving to Maldives!

Hello!

I am a French man living in Doha, Qatar with my wife and son, 3 years old.  I recently got a very good job offer for Maldives, but uncertain as to whether I should take the decision to move. I did some research and the comments from other expats and Maldivians, both negative and politely positive, have set doubts in my mind which I would like to clear up.  If anyone can help, truly help to give me a better idea of life in Maldives, such as getting around, schools (my son is 3 years old), shopping, just life in general for a family of three, that would be great.  Also how is the accomodation, accessibilty to alcohol etc ?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Alsaje

hi alsaje,

congratulations on your new job. as for your questions. its all pretty much depends on where you will be located.

will you be staying in male? in this case shopping/school and stuff is not something you should worry about. but alcohol, it might be nearly impossible to have at your own space, the only/easisest way is to travel to HIH which is the airport hotel, just 5 minutes by boat from male.

if you wiwll be based on a island then this might be a real challenge for schooling...

there are quite a lot of expat working on male. and they find their own lifestyle which suits best for them and maldives culture.

hope this helped :)

Hi Mooch:

Thanks alot for your help.

I actually have not accepted the position as yet, and from what you have said, I am not sure it would be best, based on my job location. I know I would be located on an island, which is not Male and this would be a major conflict regarding schooling.  My wife would have to travel back and forth to take our son to school.  Is my assuption right??  How does transportation work when you are not based in Male?  I have lots to learn, so if you can help to clarify my concern, I would surely appreciate it.

Thanks alot Mooch!

Alsaje

HI,

best if you can give me more details. which island it is etc. if you do not wish to post here fgeel free to inbox me :)

cheers
mooch

hi, alsaje

i can help you all that. are you planing to live in male' or an island, if male' its easy. you have good conversation with mooch, and we need more information inbox us or just mail me [email protected]

Hi Visham,

could you please participate directly on the forum, instead of giving your email address ?

All of us would appreciate

Thanks !

oooops next time dear julien, anyway thanx