Scooter prices

I'm staying here for a month and Hate relying on people to drive me around, and taxi prices adds up, I rather buy a cheap decent motor scooter around 110-150cc if possible any good recommendatations and prices?

Older models and used Yamaha Nouvo runs at about $400; I have two. Mines at 113 cc. Honda Wave should be around $250. Certain Sym brand motorbikes are in those price ranges; a friend bought one recently.

You could rent one for a month as another option.

Phi Long wrote:

Older models and used Yamaha Nouvo runs at about $400; I have two. Mines at 113 cc. Honda Wave should be around $250. Certain Sym brand motorbikes are in those price ranges; a friend bought one recently.

You could rent one for a month as another option.

i don't know what the rent prices are, and heard the prices can be pretty bad if you make a scratch etc. I ride a Honda CBR1000cc at home but I don't trust this traffic in Saigon enough to come back without a scratch.

Also my ex gf's family has been very nice to me, and they're very poor and I wouldn't mind leaving them a scooter for their son who's about 15 now. I would just get a nice scooter but the place I'm staying now doesn't really have a nice place to park and the parking inside the house is filled up already.

Let me know if you find a decent scooter for around $300 I'll probably buy and just leave it here with my ex's family. =)

01283946492 cellphone Dane

I rent from an American in District 1 when I am there. His name is Patrick and his number is 0972451273 ... by the way, I am also in Sarrasota, FL (Parrish actually)

It's about $50 - $75 / month depending on bike choice ... and he never gave me any issues about minor scratches ... also, he plays paintball if you're interested (lot of fun)

JUST make sure you get INSURANCE. In YOUR NAME.

It will only cost you abut $3.50 and might save you jail time if you have insurance.From most gas stations - during office hours.

Some visitors, on experiencing VN traffic, decide to behave like maniacs. Bad idea, even if you drive as badly as VNese it will attract police attention and their motorcycles have way bigger engines than yours.

Ahh.. not nice at all!
All bread is not baked in one oven, Monsieur.

Jaitch wrote:

..as badly as VNese ...

secret wrote:

Ahh.. not nice at all!
All bread is not baked in one oven, Monsieur.

The truth tends to hurt.

This afternoon I watched a Vinasun taxi calmly drive through a red light and T-boned a SUV. I was slightly behind the SUV and caught the whole thing.

The red light had been on for 11 seconds.

How many VN or Chinese F1 drivers are there? The best drivers I see are with Hoang Long and Mai Linh Express.

About an hour earlier I saw a tractor trailer run through a red light at the Crescent Mall/Nguyen Van Linh intersection.

Tokyo keeps it's average road kill under 200 annually; TP HCM has an average of three per day!

Renting is the cheapest, but if you want to buy a used motorbike, you can find a whole bunch of them for sale over on the Lonely Planet website.  Average price is $275-300. (www.lonelyplanet.com --->Thorn Tree ---> SE Asia & click on Vietnam.  You can also find a lot on the Thorn Tree ---> Buy & Sell)

Jaitch wrote:

This afternoon I watched a Vinasun taxi calmly drive through a red light and T-boned a SUV. I was slightly behind the SUV and caught the whole thing.

The red light had been on for 11 seconds.

Impressive you were watching the timer for the oncoming traffic while driving behind an SUV through a junction.....

Jaitch wrote:

How many VN or Chinese F1 drivers are there?

This has nothing to do with bad driving, its all about money and opportunity.

Yes some of the standards of driving here can be poor at times, but I've seen worse elsewhere, India is bad and so are parts of Africa.
As to the number of deaths here, are they all down to bad driving, how many of them can be attributed to poor or badly designed infrastructure? I'd guess a fair few of them.

Jaitch wrote:

Tokyo keeps it's average road kill under 200 annually

Tokyo has just under 4million cars registered these have inherently more safety features then motorbikes, this is one of the reasons that the death toll is lower. Not just the standard of driving.

distantarray wrote:

Let me know if you find a decent scooter for around $300 I'll probably buy and just leave it here with my ex's family. =)

you can find plenty in thaqt price range, but be aware you may need to spend a few $ more to fix it. No doubt there will be a few things wrong with it.