Mattress pads, baking supplies and manicures?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a mattress pad for my bed, it's not the comfiest bed on the planet, ya know?

Also, looking for baking supplies (dishes and ingredients) and a place to get my hair cut/nails done.

The closer to D5 the better.

Cheers!

Mattress

Aescleah wrote:

I'm looking for a mattress pad for my bed, it's not the comfiest bed on the planet, ya know?

Surprised?

You can get foam mattresses - covers - extra in most parts of the city, usually at bedding/furniture stores.

But they can be hot to sleep on!

An alternative is a mat made fro split bamboo which is cool and quite comfortable. In Chinese stores.

Baking, etc.

Aescleah wrote:

looking for baking supplies (dishes and ingredients

Again, Lotte Mart on 3-2 Street as I mentioned in your last inquiry. The dishes. cutlery are on Floor 3, most all of the other stuff on Floor 2.

Flour
I have never found self-raising flower in retail here, so I guess you will have to concoct your own. Yeast is another hard one but I think you might find them at Goodfellows (use Google).

Look at: < http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/living/772830 … sing-flour > for self-raising flower.

The brand Bakers Choice is a good quality flour. Look for that in Co-Op.

I understand that a big problem with baked goods ingredients here is the high/extreme humidity and the heat.

Shopping in Vietnamese
You should carry a Vietnamese-English-Vietnamese Dictionary.

The other alternative is to use Word and Google Translate.

List all your English words in a left-hand column and all the Vietnamese words in the right. Makes shopping much easier.

Be very careful when it comes to choosing items. Salt comes in three types. pepper with or without salt, etc.

Ethnic food stores often have the hard to get/find items.

You can get electric hand mixers from many places, I got a Braun - wicked. Also have an automatic Panasonic bread-making machine.

The Vinh Khang Beauty Salon has the best manicures available in Ho Chi Minh City, hands down (pun intended).

Link:  VK Beauty Salon

Furniture Stores :     Cua Hàng Ban, Ghe, Tu
_Saigon Furniture 146 Ngo Gia Tu Street, District.10 (8) 835-6425 take catalogue's design order
_Ðuc Anh  95 Ngo Gia Tu Street, District.10 (8) 835-3652 take catalogue's design order
_Minh Chau 73-75 Ngo Gia Tu Street, District.10 (8) 835-3808 delivered to your home: free
_Lam Son 150 & 132 Ngo Gia Tu Street, Dist. 10 (8) 839-0900 or (8) 825-2085
_Viet Tinh 121 Ngo Gia Tu Street, District. 10 (8) 835-8825 high class quality products
_Ðat Nguyen 52 Ba Hat Street, District.10 (8) 835-0403 E-mail : [email protected] 
_Noi That Nha Xinh 155Bis Su Van Hanh Street, District. 10

The will arrange delivery (extra).

Fitted sheets are way cheaper in Vietnamese markets compared to proper stores. You will need a mattress cover for the latex mattress to hold off the heat.

Get electrical products from Co-op or Lotte as they will honour the warranty (and sell quality stuff).

Hair, there are 3 expat hair designers, (non Asian) in the city, that I know of. George and Lloyd (An Phu) and myself (D-1).

You can try Phuong Ha Grocery Store - 58 Ham Nghi St., Dist.1 for baking supplies. They have lots of hard-to-find ingredients.