Teaching English

Hello. Would anybody be able to inform of all the necessary steps/ requirements/ overall process to become a teacher of English in a school in Kuwait? What are the best websites to find those jobs? Public vs private school? How much salary can I expect to make? Anything..

I'm an American. I have a Bachelors degree, although it was not in teaching.

Thanks so much :)

U just have to apply directly in schools if u re living in Kuwait , u re a native speaker they ll take you fr kindergarten / try first the English playgroup ( primary) at Salmiya I know they take native speakers .
I used to teach kg in salwa
You can try Kuwait English school , and gulf English school
Good luck

Linouly - thank you for your response. I am not yet living in Kuwait. My husband will be arriving in Kuwait soon to work as a contractor out there. So I wanted to see what kind of job I can easily get in Kuwait myself to make some money. I thought about teaching English in one of their schools would be a good option for a native American.

Would I be able to apply for these teaching jobs even though I am not yet living in Kuwait ?

Thanks

you can apply for teaching jobs online if you wish - there are always posts by schools requiring teachers.

however, unfortunately, experience and a degree are required in order to become a teacher at a school (i think, SaharEl can elaborate further, she is our resident teacher on the forum with the answer to all ur Q's)

what i can answer tho is you need not worry about Public Vs. Private. you have 0 chance of landing a job in the public sector schools, its mostly staffed by Arab nationals who can attempt (and fail miserably) to control to the rowdy kids there.

try looking for centers/institutes that teach english as a foreign language, that could be an opening for you.

get to the country first and then worry about finding employment :P take it one step at a time.

without teaching credentials, schools are not likely to relocate you here, whereas if you are already here, and on your hubby's residence as his wife, that gives u an edge in the job market.

I'm not sure if there are organizations in Kuwait that hire from this program, but you could try it.

Tefl.com

From the way I understand it, you take courses on teaching techniques, and then you are placed in a position teaching English as a foreign language.

Legacy -- thank you for the tips! I think you are right, I should probably focus on getting to Kuwait successfully & as fast as possible. My husband will be arriving there today & then he will look into the process/ requirements for bring me out there with him. I hope it is not a long or difficult task...? :/

Crittle73 -- thanks, I will check out Tefl.com...that might be a great and somewhat easy opportunity to land a job teaching English as a foreign language.

lll4evr1 wrote:

Hello. Would anybody be able to inform of all the necessary steps/ requirements/ overall process to become a teacher of English in a school in Kuwait? What are the best websites to find those jobs? Public vs private school? How much salary can I expect to make? Anything..

I'm an American. I have a Bachelors degree, although it was not in teaching.

Thanks so much :)

Hi, As you are a native speaker, you may be getting an opportunity as an English teacher. But you don't have a degree on teaching. Most of the schools might be in urdu medium in the middle east countries. My suggestion is to start a communication training for English there. It may be working good on making money. Thanks.

lll4everl

you are most welcome :D

it is as easy as PIE to get your residency done in Kuwait.

a) u are american = visa on arrival, 3 months.
b) ur husband will have a permanent residency here
c) recently the government has allowed visitor visa holders to convert to family visa (dependent).

so no hassle for u.

u can even come with ur hubby when he first sets foot here. although i would advise against it. let him do all the legwork and find a place and furnish it, then u can come in (depends on ur view on this issue :P)

all the best!

Thanks Legacy! I surely do hope it is an Easy as PIE for sure :D

My hubby just got over there, so as you mentioned, he will be doing all the best he can to get me over there w/him As soon as possible! I am looking forward to it.

And I am still exploring possible job opportunities for myself...so I can make some $ along with hubby & not be too bored! Hahaa...hopefully something will open up for me out there..:/