New to USA

Have just moved to Omaha Nebraska form the UK and I'm not liking it very much :( any advice

Welcome to Expat.com natalia71!;)

A little intro maybe?

Hope that you'll get a lot of new contacts here.

Harmonie.

Hi dear ,

I dont know if you are American or not. I am from Taiwan. I moved to Chicago couple months ago. I guess it was fun in the beginning for me and then it became slightly boring everyday, because I do not have friends here. I gotta say, I love the mixed cultures here, but life can get hard on us sometimes. So, recently I have been going to library , read and study. I feel learning fulfill my life here a lot. If you like to read, maybe you can try to go to the library near you??

I also know some people go to church to know new friends. Churches here are very interesting. I have checked out some places too..but I do not have any religions..so it was just fun for me to check it out...

I hope we can be friends and exchange our life experiences together. :)

Have a lovely day,

Gee

Welcome to the USA. I would suggest you get out and meet people and see the sites in your area. The culture is very different than the UK . It takes some getting used the language and culture, but once you meet new friends you will like it in the USA.
I visited the UK several times and loved the culture, people and. sites.

Take care
Fernando

Sorry to hear that.. I know its hard when you are new to a place that you've never been before.. But hey, you will get use to it.. Hope you'll meet new friends here :)

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to come to Omaha for studying a master's program at Creighton University. How is the social life in Omaha ? Can we meet and talk to people easily ? I mean what kind of perspectives do people from Omaha have to foreign people ? Last question, is finding a job in Omaha is easy or hard?

Thanks,

Yasin.

I moved to Appleton, Wisconsin and it is not that easy or as fun either but with time I have been able to adjust and hope everything will work out for me and I will be a little more comfortable here.
It's been a year and two months and still... you know...but you will get used to it.
I think the most important thing is to allow your self time and not just time but ENOUGH time to adjust.
the accent here was driving me crazy even now it does...once you know the necessities then you are ready to roll
enjoy...
let me know how it goes for you

good luck

I felt the same, moving from South France to South Illinois... 4 years  :(!!! 4 months ago, I moved to Texas... :)
the life is so much different, people are really friendly.. I go to the library, knitting, embroidery, quilting... so many things to enjoy... reading the newspapers, you will find every event around you

Still here (USA) been 1 year 6 months :( so hoping my husband wants to go back to the UK!!!!!

I'm sorry to hear that you are still having a hard time. Have you had an opportunity to meet some friends or get involved with group activities?

I am really sorry to hear that somebody has a hard time to live in United States.
I definitely love my new country (I will be an American citizen at the end of this month).
Born French citizen, I lived in many foreign places for 20 years. I can tell here it's the best! though nothing is absolutely perfect.
A country gives you what you are ready to give to.

neveralone wrote:

I will be an American citizen at the end of this month

Congratulations! That is very exciting. Welcome to the family.

Thank you, jakejas! :)
I read you have also exciting projects. Dec. 2013... then 2014.. That's great.
I hope you will tell us more.... when it happens.

hello, i will be in usa in 2 months,, i am looking to friends for my first days, i know that it will be easy for me,,,,,
we can be friends !!!
thex

Americans seem to not understand the definition of the English word "culture".

First off all to the original poster. Why did you move to Oklahoma? Being from London I can feel your pain and only imagine the misery you are going through. I am in Georgia at the moment but by God if I ever were told that I had to move to Oklahoma I would shoot myself.

Life in the states for people from Europe is a nightmare in general. It is bland and the people are superficial and stupid. I hope you get out soon. At least you are married, for a single person from London who has travelled the globe the States is the last place I would want to be. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Only California and NY are tolerable but not for too long.

Why?

mdg227 wrote:

Americans seem to not understand the definition of the English word "culture".

First off all to the original poster. Why did you move to Oklahoma? Being from London I can feel your pain and only imagine the misery you are going through. I am in Georgia at the moment but by God if I ever were told that I had to move to Oklahoma I would shoot myself.

Life in the states for people from Europe is a nightmare in general. It is bland and the people are superficial and stupid. I hope you get out soon. At least you are married, for a single person from London who has travelled the globe the States is the last place I would want to be. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Only California and NY are tolerable but not for too long.

So why are you still here?

Here for work why else.

It depends on people's upbringing and backgrounds. Most people from 3rd or 2nd world like it and that is fair because it offers them the basic necessities.

No one in the right mind would move from a higher tier in life to a lower one unless fate forced them to.

If you don't like culture, intelligent conversation, tolerance, good food, etc America is the place for you. If you are moving from the slums in another country to owning your own land then this country will do. All in all for people like me we are trading down in quality of life. People are impersonal and the "culture" is like a perpetual high school. Cultures and races don't mix like they do in London, Paris, Singapore, etc.

If you want an impersonal, selfish, disconnect, ADD existence I would recommend it. It all boils down to what the individual wants out of life and what the place offers them.

mdg227 wrote:

Here for work why else.

It depends on people's upbringing and backgrounds. Most people from 3rd or 2nd world like it and that is fair because it offers them the basic necessities.

No one in the right mind would move from a higher tier in life to a lower one unless fate forced them to.

If you don't like culture, intelligent conversation, tolerance, good food, etc America is the place for you. If you are moving from the slums in another country to owning your own land then this country will do. All in all for people like me we are trading down in quality of life. People are impersonal and the "culture" is like a perpetual high school. Cultures and races don't mix like they do in London, Paris, Singapore, etc.

If you want an impersonal, selfish, disconnect, ADD existence I would recommend it. It all boils down to what the individual wants out of life and what the place offers them.

So work is more important than everything else in your life.  That's very American of you.

HAHA... I lived in France, Africa, Asia, travelled in several European countries and back to France.. then moved to United-Sates.... After 7 years, I could get the American citizenship and I recently did it. I AM PROUD TO BE AMERICAN. (and I am still French)
My American friends are intelligent even brilliant.... they know a lot about foreign countries, politics, history, geography
IT IS WRONG to say American are superficial and stupid.
How do you think you appear to other people saying that?? a smart guy?

I love how the Americans get so defensive. There are good Americans but a majority of them are not reliable from experience not just mine but every European I have met. The only Europeans that like it are from some no name village and they have idealized it from Hollywood.

To neveralone. What part of France are you from and how old are you? You are immature and abrasive that is why you fit well in here and your post is written like a teenager with caps and incomplete sentences. No one would insult another individual they don't know and whose life they have not lived. I have been to 62 countries my father was a diplomat and I went to Oxford. I Have an IQ of 158 and am in the pharmaceutical industry where I save lives everyday. I don't have the self-entitled attitude and know it all attitude that comes across from most people I meet. I don't need to appear smart to anyone especially on some blog I stumbled across two days ago. I am sharing my experiences, which are valid because I have lived them. If people resonate which many people have then I am happy to help. But you live in Texas. Live in LA, NY, Miami, Atlanta and then come back and tell me what you think.

HAHA   
I don't have to justify as you do.... but you could be surprised!
To be, you need to say: 'I am that and that.... I did that and that... my father was that and that...'
I could tell every thing I was and I did in my long life, BUT I know the sense of the word 'humility'
You insult American people.
I won't talk more to a SNOB..... I have better THINGS to do in my busy life...

Ok. Votre message précédent a montré beaucoup d'humilité. Je suis fier de vous.

Bonne chance dans votre vie. Je n'ai insulté peuple américain que je mets sur un fait qui est vrai. Américains que je rencontre sont d'accord avec mes observations.

So you are doing us a favor by bringing your cultured IQ and pharmaceutical genius to the USA.  No work for you in Europe?  You make yourself sound very valuable, very much in demand.

I am doing myself a favour for my career. I came here for me not you or anyone else. After the US messed up the economy, there are limited opportunities in Europe but I wouldn't expect you to understand the inner workings of the pharma industry. Look it up if you can understand the technical jargon...

My responses are for people like me and intended for the original poster so she knows there are people who understand her situation. Not for people who will not understand. This is Expat.com not US blog. You cannot compare London or Paris to any city in the US, especially the south where I am now. Unfortunately, I was born on US soil which messed things up. Europe is limited on opportunities and reserved for Europeans first. Everyone I have met from my city feels the same way and empathises with my plight.

I have found only Americans are patriotic to the point of being nauseating and hostile. They cannot understand anything outside of their bubble except for the hand few I have met who are jet setters. Funny a nation that claims freedom of speech and individualism cannot swallow the fact that there are differing view points. If you fall into the mass people will like you if you are different you get crucified.

@mdg,
You seem to have a very negative attitude. Different people can have different opinions about where they like to live, but there is no reason to be condescending to people who have different preferences than you do. For someone who claims to be so cultured, you have not learned to be very tolerant of people who are different than you.

mdg227 wrote:

I love how the Americans get so defensive. There are good Americans but a majority of them are not reliable from experience not just mine but every European I have met. The only Europeans that like it are from some no name village and they have idealized it from Hollywood.

did it ever occur to you that perhaps it's the attitude you're broadcasting that doesn't appeal to the more open minded, generous, interesting and cultured Americans? It's a vast country with great diversity, and there really IS something for everyone there. You just have to be willing to open your mind and eyes a bit to find it.

My fiancé is European and has lived and traveled extensively throughout his continent. The first time I took him to America he was ready to look down upon it from his superior Euro-centric heights. After a week of travel together throughout New England, he became a hard & fast fan of the region. There are a lot of things that do suck about the current state of affairs in the States (what up, infrastructure crappiness?), but Americans still have plenty of culture and positivity to offer to the non-native visitor.

Just because it's not a  thousand years old doesn't mean it's not culture!

Why is it that the people who always announce that they are the smartest in the room never are?

jakejas wrote:

@mdg,
You seem to have a very negative attitude. Different people can have different opinions about where they like to live, but there is no reason to be condescending to people who have different preferences than you do. For someone who claims to be so cultured, you have not learned to be very tolerant of people who are different than you.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

Why is it that the people who always announce that they are the smartest in the room never are?

You are right different people can have different opinions. That is what I am expressing, my opinion. I am writing to a fellow person from the UK and am empathising with her situation so she knows she is not the only one. I am not condescending to anyone. There are 7.5 billion people. There are intolerant people everywhere. I have been to 58 countries and only in America have I experienced outward intolerance and racism directed towards me on multiple occasions. An American walked by when I was having a coffee outside and told me "I was the colour of sh*t". I will never forget those words. So if I don't have a good picture of this country that reflects on the people not me. Every person is an ambassador for their country and their behaviour to other's reflects on them and their country. You people think I came here with a negative mindset. I came here hoping for the best. The reality is different.

I am not the smartest and never think so. I just have had harsher experiences for someone my age. I am realistic about things and see them for what they are. If people are insecure that is their issue. The smartest person I know is a Nobel prize winner I worked under at MIT. The wisest and most cultured is a very old Buddhist monk I met in Thailand. Those two people have added more value to my life than every single person I have met combined.

I don't have time or the bother to care about everyone's opinion nor do I have the desire to change their view. Their view belongs to them. I am here for the original poster. If I can help one person who is having a difficult time and whom I can relate to then that is all I intend. The original poster is from the UK and so am I. Having people tell her that things are rosy and to go out and meet people is disrespectful and implies she doesn't have the basic of abilities to do the most obvious of things. It is bloody Omaha how enriching can it possibly be for someone from the UK.

ECS wrote:

did it ever occur to you that perhaps it's the attitude you're broadcasting that doesn't appeal to the more open minded, generous, interesting and cultured Americans? It's a vast country with great diversity, and there really IS something for everyone there. You just have to be willing to open your mind and eyes a bit to find it.

My fiancé is European and has lived and traveled extensively throughout his continent. The first time I took him to America he was ready to look down upon it from his superior Euro-centric heights. After a week of travel together throughout New England, he became a hard & fast fan of the region. There are a lot of things that do suck about the current state of affairs in the States (what up, infrastructure crappiness?), but Americans still have plenty of culture and positivity to offer to the non-native visitor.

Just because it's not a  thousand years old doesn't mean it's not culture!

Thank you for your understanding. Actually it is the open-minded Americans who I enjoy and can relate to and they me. Although your quote about how America has something for everyone is either naive and condescending. They are few and far between and I have only found them in California or NY/New England. I used to work in Boston and went to MIT for my grad-school. That place was acceptable and the people were able to have intellectual discussions. As I said earlier, I was empathising with the original poster having moved from the UK to Omaha. I can only imagine what she is going through. I am residing in the south and that is not something I can swallow. The south and the midwest are utterly horrendous. An American once told me he thought London was in Italy. The stereotypes that are believed about this place overseas have not been dis-proven and only reinforced. It seems though that people only read what they want to and cannot face the truth or their reality.

Most people from other countries feel this way, especially from premier cities and regions. Below is string of varied quotes all expressing the same opinion since the 1900's in chronological order.

"America is the only nation in history which miraculously has gone from barbarism to degeneration without the usual interval of civilization" - Georges Clemenceau published in La Liberté

"it would prove that America is the first country which went from Barbarism to Decadence, without a certain intervening period of civilization.” - Winston Churchill

"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilisation in between." - Oscar Wilde

Hello everyone,

It seems that we are going off topic here.

@mdg227 > can you please give useful information or advice instead of criticising and posting negative comments. Please don't forget that we are on a mutual aid forum.

Expat.com is a social network for expatriates and our aim is to help people to live abroad.

If you have any questions, please contact us.

Thank you,
Christine
Expat.com team

here is useful and constructive advice:

@ natalia71 sign up on (Inter Nations . org) (remove the spaces the forum censors it if I type it in without spaces) they may have something for you in your area. EuroCircle doesn't have anything in your area that I am aware of. You can check them out and post on the forums or ask around.

She's in OMAHA,Nebraska - it's NOT Oklahoma...

mdg227 wrote:

I am not condescending to anyone.

That is demonstrably untrue.

Reminds me of my grandfather (yes I'm of British origins, all my grandparents are from England) who had one of the worst cases of "Over Home" Syndrome I've ever seen until now.

One can say all they want about Americans being arrogant and intollerant, but I've never met anyone as arrogant and intollerant as a Brit with a case of the "Over Homes", which this guy obviously is. You guys really need to get over the Boston Tea Party and War of Independence, you know!

All the rehasings of a "tired" quote from Georges Clemenceau in the world can't ignore the fact that America has a great deal of history and culture, whether you personally think so or not.

Gosh, if you're so full of acidic remarks about America and its inhabitants, I'd hate to hear what you think of us Canadians and our country.

What I just can't for the life of me understand is this... Why would any person in their right mind remain in a country, surrounded by people they obviously hate so much? Is it masochism or the fact (which I hear from Brits every day) that things really aren't so rosy back home as you would have everyone believe?

Nymphx wrote:

She's in OMAHA,Nebraska - it's NOT Oklahoma...

Don't worry about it! He's ENGLISH, they may have invented the language, but that doesn't necessarily mean they CAN READ IT!!!

Why am I glad whoever got you to respond, the message is no longer here? I always love waking up in the morning and hearing anti-American rhetoric. Makes me want to go to the gym and run 10 miles.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so long as it does not insult others.

Sincerely :D

The Yank.

usmc_mv wrote:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion

In the United States.  Not so much in a lot of other countries.  There are still too many places where simply speaking out against your dictators can make you disappear.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
usmc_mv wrote:

In the United States.  Not so much in a lot of other countries.  There are still too many places where simply speaking out against your dictators can make you disappear.

I definitely agree!!!!

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
usmc_mv wrote:

Being entitled to your opinion means you have the right to think.  Since we do not have thought police, been waiting since 1984, anyone can think anything they want.  The problems start when one exercises the right to express said opinion.  Freedom of speech includes the freedom to not listen, or the freedom to disagree with said speech.  One of the big misunderstandings about freedom of speech is the concept that the speech may be free, but that does not absolve one from the consequences of exercising that freedom.  The Supremes (the 9 in black robes, not the trio) said that freedom of speech does not include yelling "FIRE!!" in a crowded theater.

But one can yell "THEATER!!" at a crowded fire.

mdg227 wrote:

Most people from other countries feel this way, especially from premier cities and regions. Below is string of varied quotes all expressing the same opinion since the 1900's in chronological order.

"America is the only nation in history which miraculously has gone from barbarism to degeneration without the usual interval of civilization" - Georges Clemenceau published in La Liberté

"it would prove that America is the first country which went from Barbarism to Decadence, without a certain intervening period of civilization.” - Winston Churchill

Yes, these two "civilizations" had no trouble having decadent degenerates win WWI and WWII for them to save them.  You must be proud to quote the idiot who insisted on making the treaty only a war postponement, while the latter was the mastermind of the tragic events at Galipoli.  Any gratitude for the Marshall Plan?