Need Advice for 1st time visit to Peru and South America

Hi there, I recently split from my partner of 9 years and I need to get away from the UK. I have always been fascinated by South America and I really just want to get away from my old life and spend some time by the coast - hopefully earning some cash in a bar? Teaching English (I have a BA in English) and just enjoying life and a new culture. I don't want anything too 'beer and brits abroad' - I would like a chilled, wholesome time. I'm not sure what I'm doing really, but sometimes you have to take the plunge.....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't speak Spanish though which is a problem!

Thanks!

Hi mickbeans,

welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hi!
First you need to figure out your banking, if you are going to apply for a job is going to take a while, I found airbnb very useful to find cheap accommodations before you find a permanent place to live, you can save a lot in housing living in places close to Miraflores like Chorrillos, Barranco, Pueblo Libre, Lince, Magdalena, San Miguel, Surco. Most apartments are not furnished.
You need to learn at least basic english because only a few people speak english, and you need to meet more people, there's a web site called internations where you can find British expats living in Peru.
I hope that help a little if you have more questions feel free to contact me.

Thank you, gabyinca.

Mickbeans,

I too wanted to 'reboot' and get under a new sky. I had visited Peru many times before [ of course, it involved a woman ]. That relation is long gone but my love for Peru persists. Since my first footstep here in Peru I knew I was 'home' and for you I will say:
Do whatever you can in the way of tying up the loose ends of your life there. Get your resources in order and initially you will need cash. Until your set up the banks here really don't want to know you. Find a bank that has a debit card that will work internationally and bring that with you. Arrange for your most selected treasure to be sent sea cargo. [ Takes about two weeks. ]

It would be best to have a Peruvian friend here to help you sort things out / maybe you can make a friend on the net.

You can stay 90 days with a tourist visa [ automatic upon entry ] and I know you will be planning to stay so you will apply for the "Carnet Extranjeria" [ kind of like becoming a resident ] which is a long and tedious process.

Carry all important papers with you / Drivers License, Birth Certificate, and any ID's for the Carnet. There are many rules and laws and procedures here but I find that they are not strictly enforced by any stretch of the imagination.

Ok, sure for all of the practical things you will have to be an administrator over your own life and take care of the mundane.

I feel what you are really saying is can you find a life here with or without Language Skills [ I have NONE and I am getting along just fine ] and enjoy the people - places - and surroundings. The answer is yes.... it seems to me You are also being called by Peru as I was some time back.

The most important thing is simple,, just get here. Really, the rest will fall in place.

pistachio

ps If you are considering your flights, you would be in a better position if you can show a return ticket upon entry if asked. Remember,, your entering as a tourist. ok,, so today most tickets are non refundable which means you lose your return side in a year if unused. I am really here talking about your " return " portion of the ticket, ok,, so,, buy your economy ticket here,, and separately purchase a "REFUNDABLE" return ticket for about a month from your arrival, [ ok,, big bucks but your going to take a refund ]. I would also suggest you have all of your inoculation up to date and get any recommended new ones / no probs here but a good idea.

Gee, thanks pistachio, your response cleared up a lot for me.

Good,,,,I was uncertain if I was making myself clear. Just remember in one fell swoop [ LoL ! },,, your changing everything and there probably will be some internal reluctance from your conscience and definitely your friends may think your Loony....[ but loving the moon is exactly what I am talking about ] and get all negative on you so best place your confidence in your Best of friends and others only when it is too late to turn back....haha!

I always felt that a total alternative that your thinking about gives destiny the best chance at taking you for a ride.....

~~la forza del destino....

ok,, if you have any thing more specific to ask I will try to respond.....

[Moderated]

hi there,  it is always good to realize tht we need a change bfore going mad ...so u thought in peru tht is  such a good idea u can chose from beach cities on the coast or mayb the andes some town in highlands with lots of history to know ruins etc..or the amazon cities (where i havent been yet btw)  all green wild life.... but ill go there thts for sure...

so im in peru anything u might need to know feel free to ask:)

ps.atleast try learning some usefull phrases in spanish just to make it easier

hi,

i just want to know how do you celebrate christmas in peru? thanks. :)

in the morning we have panatone cake and hot chocolate, then later in day go to my mother in laws house,main dish can be turkey,that the peruvians get drunk,or like we had last xmas, a whole pig,salads.potatoes,vegtables, loads of food on the tabel,presents and like most coutries with xmas wiht all family there,and of course pisco sour, the one main thing is we have the meal at 12midnight,not in the afternoon.

Thanks Marky1. That sounds great. But im planning to spend this christmas alone in lima and cuzco. :( . I wonder how's the neighborhood when everyone is at their homes.

What are the documents required for applying for Carnet de Extranjeria? And what is the procedure?

neilsen,, what is more interesting is that your planning to spend Christmas in both Lima AND Cusco,,,,,,
?how did you master bilocation?
and
can you teach me ?
LoL.......merry christmas in advance / pistachio

to siddharth.gurjar
first,, I have always been a huge fan of Herman Hesse.....
ok,ok
The carnet is a long and difficult process, you need a passport and have to have it verified at the US Embassy at Lima.
Ok, just like Divorce,,,, you have to have grounds to get the carnet / two are,, investment / which will require much documentation so I do not advise....
another is / retirement-rentista / for which you have to provide Proof of income of at least $1000 per month. Your documentation of the income from the provider of it must be translated by an OFFICIAL TRANSLATOR here in Peru, and then presented with your application for the Carnet.
Also,, you will have to pay various fees as listed on the application and save your receipts for submission with the app.
It will take about 2-3 months to get it... but getting your application together and putting things in place will require a Virtual Lewis+Clark adventure throughout Lima....
I suggest you have a Spanish speaking friend with you and check other posts here for additional info.....
pistachio