Life in Kuwait. But where?

Eagle on the move!

And quite literally, it has been a gruelling decision making process but atlast, after speaking to tens of people and gathering info in hundreds, i have decided to take my second move out of India. I will be staying in Kuwait for the foreseeable future. Have stayed in the US, France and ofcourse in India, i get this strong belief that life in Kuwait will be 'oh! so different' than any other place i have been in.

I have read through so many of the earlier posts and quite frankly, it has been eye-opening to say the least. Like a headless chicken, am going through scores of websites and forums to learn more about the living there. Hence, request the kind attention of all the informed members in this forum - where do you find serviced apartments?

Looking for one seems to be so diffciult, coz i came across only two in the last month & half. The requirement list is extremely verbose;

- Upscale but within budget
- Close to city center but relatively quite to enable me to sleep at peace
- Furnished but can do without if the price is too high
- Cosmopolitan crowd

I can't help myslef but dearly hoping somone here will. Looking forward to a great discussion :)

Cheers!

hello EOTM and welcome to Expat.com :)

1) depends on what your budget is honestly, and your definition of upscale.

2) you cant have your cake and eat it too :D by city center, business or pleasure? as in the central business district or where all the malls are?

3) furnished will always be high priced, thats just how it is unfortunately.

4) define cosmopolitan. most people dont fraternize much wit their neighbors anymore, and kuwait is not the sort of country where u can walk up to a stranger and strike up a friendship without some form of commonality between you both.

Had to be you Legacy! You are a legend in this forum...

It's sad that i won't be able to strike a conversation with everyone, guess people will think am demented if i start talking any which ways.

Ok, here goes; maybe this will help

1. Am not looing to spend more than 450 a month on the accomodation. Since am a loner bachelor (married to my PS3) i was hoping i can settle in a 1BHK. Upscale would mean a sea-facing, clean and luxuriously appointed apartment (for a lam example: not jacuzzi and all, but maybe a rain shower)

2. Had read Salmiya is really neat, however peak times on 5th can be trouble-some. I will be buying a car later but for the time being maybe i should be trying out the local modes

3. I don't want to be buying a TV, Refrigerator. Microwave et all. Maybe linens and beds i can buy, but none more.

4. Tagging to my earlier comment, i don't like eating alone or for that matter going around shopping holding my own bags! The place could atleast harbour people who don't mind hanging around once in a while.

legacy wrote:

hello EOTM and welcome to Expat.com :)

1) depends on what your budget is honestly, and your definition of upscale.

2) you cant have your cake and eat it too :D by city center, business or pleasure? as in the central business district or where all the malls are?

3) furnished will always be high priced, thats just how it is unfortunately.

4) define cosmopolitan. most people dont fraternize much wit their neighbors anymore, and kuwait is not the sort of country where u can walk up to a stranger and strike up a friendship without some form of commonality between you both.

your range of 450 for a furnished sea facing apartment in Salmiya could be a little short mon ami, your best bet is furnishing it yourself.

also your current marital status would pose a problem in such locations as they mostly reserve said housing for families, i could be wrong, it wouldnt hurt to have a looksie around salmiya, you could be within walking distance from the beach. however again, furnished is a problem.

i dont get the part bout eating alone and holding your own bags tho :P like i said, kuwait is not the kind of setting where u walk up to strangers on the street and strike up conversation. there are groups etc. online where u can meet people that meetup every now and then (very often) for outings etc, try ur luck with them. most are based in salmiya.

as for the groceries, ??

Who usually carries your bags?? To think, all this time, I've been doing it all by myself!

Very much carry my own bags, but where's the fun in shopping alone!

Sounds like i will have to 'be' there and try my luck with the accomodation. It's a relief to know there are active groups around there, will definitely try to fit in the bill.

Salmiya was top priority since i hear it's pretty close to downtown. So what do you normally do over the weekends (and flying to Dubai isn't an option). This forum is incredibly good for newbies, am sure pot-lucks, riding etc. should be a commonality.