3G USB Stick

If I was to purchase a prepaid 3G USB stick from VNPT, would I be able to set it up on my home PC (running XP & IE8)? Could I just plug it into a USB slot, open "my conections" and set it as a new connection?

Short answer... Yes

Slightly longer, you will probably need to install the software supplied but other than that you should be good to go :)

Thanks laidbackfreak for the info. What kind of performance can I expect from say a 14.42 (?) MB stick, or what would you reccomand?

Good question, all depends on your area and how good the infrastructure there is. Here in HCM I get close to top speed all the time.

Budman1,

Where you are at, you will get it this fast:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWd0MzpU3HjQXSb78J-7vpdRStfmm-_nEWWwK7ITCmf6CAAqYjVg

The VNPT I use is LOCKED.  Mobifone rates are lower, which is why I needed an unlocked version.

ZTE - the supplier for my unit - has an office in TP HCM and they sell them unlocked.

There is unlock software on the InterNet. There is an unlocker outfit just off Tran Hung Dao who are known to the trade, and he supplies software that allows for any system.

Thanks LBF and Jaitch for the information.

Wild_1 you think that large Mobifone outlet in Can Tho would be a good place to purchase one?

Budman,

Right now, I would check with Phuong Tung first.  They have a little more to choose from and are having quite a few promotions.

http://phuongtung.vn/home/san-pham/usb-3g.html

Budman,

They have a few locations, you don't have to hit the one at the bottom of the link I just gave you.

http://phuongtung.vn/home/chi-tiet/2012 … anh.html-0

When we were in the market for USB modems, only VNPT (as a carrier) sold the things. The tech at Mobiphone told me to get the unit unlocked and use their SIM to save money!

BEFORE buying one, check the unit out on the InterNet to see if there are any hassles with that model.

Remember, technically the Vina and Mobi networks are identical for coverage as they both share the base equipment. MAKE sure you get a unit with a short USD >< USB cable as it makes it easier to optimise the modem for best reception.

Wild-1, that's a better idea thanks I've bought a few cell phones from them.

Jaitch, thanks for the info again but your getting me a little confused. It's called a 3G modem not a USB stick? Why would I need a SIM card. I just want to stick it in a USB slot on the back of my PC and get on the Internet. LBF mentioned software. that shouldn't be a problem.

Budman, it's a 3G modem (but yes its a USB  stick version or dongle) depending on model you may or may not be able to change the SIM for a cheaper version, but I wouldn't recommend that unless you know what you're doing :)
You can also buy a USB extender lead might helps if you're finding its a poor reception at the back of your PC, think of it in terms of a terrestrial antenna so the better reception it can get the better your speed.

LBF, now I understand, thanks. One last question please. What's the best one to buy, and can I get one that I can top off like I do on my cell phone when I get low on credits with Mobifone?

Just for Info I found this on setting up the 3G on a PC:

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-setup-deskt … 70222.html

Budman1 wrote:

Jaitch, thanks for the info again but your getting me a little confused. It's called a 3G modem not a USB stick? Why would I need a SIM card. I just want to stick it in a USB slot on the back of my PC and get on the Internet. LBF mentioned software. that shouldn't be a problem.

Need for software depends on your OS.

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/358519700/GKF_D206_02_3G_usb_modem_competitive.jpg

I got the picture now Jaitch thanks. The SIM is in the 3G USB stick. I won't need a reader for it in my PC. I'm running XP as the OS.

Budman1 wrote:

I got the picture now Jaitch thanks. The SIM is in the 3G USB stick. I won't need a reader for it in my PC. I'm running XP as the OS.

Then you will need the driver software that comes with the package. Have the vendor install.

Hello guys,

Can I use the 3G USB stick for my laptop?

What would you recommend me using if I was living around Tien Giang, Vietnam Area?

Any suggestion would be awesome.

Thanks

Hi Lazyfun,

Yes of course you can use a 3G stick with your laptop, they were originally designed for there use. But the form of the PC doesn't matter.

Thanks Laidbackfreak...;)

Just to follow up. I want to thank everybody for their replies. I picked up a 3G USB modem the other day. It cost a little over 600,000VND, I put 150,000VND on it to start. They gave me the number for free (I think). Up load and down load speed are the same as my VNPT hard wire connection, which isn't to bad. The guy at the store recommended the same thing that Jerry did about the wire. Install was easy. Just plugged it into a USB port clicked on it and it pretty much set it self up.

Budman,

That's cool.  I think that is what I will do with my existing land line and internet service. Nothing beats more mobility.  Cost wise, isn't it about the same as the ADSL service?

Same thing Wild_1, only I don't have to worry about a dropped conection and wait all day for the boys in blue to come fix it.