Living in Malta. PLEASE HELP!

Hello,

I am new to this but in desperate need of help.

My name is Kristian. I am a British citizen, and would like to live in Malta. I want to live in bugibba. I have been doing my own research for the info I need but I have hit a wall with it all.

I need to know, will healthcare be free for either kids or adults or both? If so where do I receive it. If not where and how do I get it?

Will we need a GP? Dentist?

I need a school for the kids, hopefully an English speaking school as we can't speak Maltese.

All in or as close to bugibba as possible please?

I need to know if I need a visa also?

I appreciate all help received. Thank you.

Hi Kristian,

welcome to the forum.

There is no free health care in Malta for foreigners as such.

You can either claim an entitlement through previous contributions in the UK or in other EU countries or through paying national insurance contributions in Malta or paying for private health insurance.

You have to check out which terms might apply to your case.

If you are working in Malta and paying NI you and your family would be covered.

Dentist is generally not covered.

You will not need a visa but you should check out the past posts in the topics that are relevant to your situation.

Cheers
Ricky

Hello Kristian,

About sending your kids to school you can check the site www.st paul's bay school....they are a government but many of the foreigners send their children their or San Anton school Private school English speaking in Mgarr.

Good luck

Okay i understand Ricky, thank you very much for your time. Very helpful. I am intending on working as well as living. Sorry to be a pain, but, will I have to apply for national insurance there? If so, is there a particular place i should go? I suppose being covered on national insurance will be for a general hospital, A&E etc.?

Also, thank you Tomina, i will look into these schools. Is enrollment straight forward? What i mean is, if my son and daughter are residing in malta, are they automatically able to attend school?

Sorry for all of the questions guys, just want to be 100% to add a bit of structure to my plans.

Thank you very much!!

Hi Kristian,

to be covered by the Maltese national insurance you will have to pay contributions and apply for an insurance number. The Maltese system is not based on residency as in the Uk but actually paying contributions .

You may qualify for health care entitlement from the UK for a limited period. You should check that out if you have been a member of the NHS in the UK.

Cheers
Ricky

Okay excellent. Thank you very much Ricky. I really appreciate your help.

Kind regards.

Kristian, I've sent you a PM covering

1. An EU citizens legal rights - residency, working, students
2. what sort of residency is available ?
3. what do I need to apply for if I want to reside in Malta ?
4. do I need to apply for residency before coming to live in Malta ?
5. do I need an accountant to apply for residency ?
6. do I need health insurance ?
6.1 Do I qualify for public health cover, and if I do, what cover do I have ? Are prescriptions free ?
7. can I work in Malta ?
7.1 How much is income tax ?
7.2 How much are social security contributions ?
8. where do I apply for my residency certificate ?
9. where can I get the OR application form ?
10. where do I apply for my ID card ?
11. what documents do I need to apply for OR ?
12. can I vote in Malta ?
13. buying a property FAQ
14. renting a property FAQ
15. Importing a vehicle FAQ
16. What's the procedure for importing/exporting a pet ?
17. Can I use my driving licence in Malta ?
17.1 Applying for driving licence
18. Long term residency certificate

Hi Guys, I have been looking on british expat and i am seeing alot of confusing statements regarding PR and OR. Is it not possible to just get a property and stay as long as you like?

I mean, i want to move and live my life there, and would like a rented property to start.

I am seeing people mentioning earning over a certain amount to be able to move to the country?

Please can somebody shed some light on this for me as i am confused. Here are the links i read this info on;

http://www.britishexpat.com/expatforum/ … 2312#62312http://britishexpat.com/expatforum/malt … .php?t=854

Thanks for any and all help

" Is it not possible to just get a property and stay as long as you like?" - EU citizens yes, non-EU citizens no, not unless you are considered a high net worth individual (HNWI).

OR - ordinary residency  - either working, student or self sufficient (if self sufficient minimum income or capital requirements)
PR - permanent residency - this cannot be applied for any more - replaced by HNWI

As you are EU citizen, you almost certainly want OR - if you aren't working, then must prove won't be a burden on the state, so enough money to live on, and medical cover

Okay brilliant, thank you. I will be looking to work and get health cover and will have plenty of money saved up to move with. So in my case, (as far as you may know) i am eligible?

Thank you

If you are working you will have health cover by paying social security contributions.

An EU citizen has a legal right to live in Malta as long as they won't be a burden, so from what you've said you are eligible :-)

You my friend have just made my day :-)

Thank you very much for all of your help.

Just one more thing.

Who do i see first, where do i make a start?

Thank you.

see the link I PM'd you

3. what do I need to apply for if I want to reside in Malta ?

Thank you very much :-)

With a residence application form, will I need to fill one out for the children each also?

Yes

Also, thank you Tomina, i will look into these schools. Is enrollment straight forward? What i mean is, if my son and daughter are residing in malta, are they automatically able to attend school?

Hello Kristian,

Yes once they have a Resedency they will be able to attend. you are welcome don't hesitate to contact me if you need anything.

Regards
Nicolette (Tomina)

Hello guys,

Another question.

My girlfriend has Rheumatoid Arthritis, a chronic auto immune disease. Does any body know what benefits she is entitled to if she was to live in Malta?

We aren't sure if the U.K will continue to give benefits or not?

Thank you.

Hi Kristian,

My wife also suffers from RA - and though we no longer live in Malta we did for a couple of years until about a year ago, so if you have some specific questions about RA treatment in Malta I'm sure she would be happy to share her experiences...PM me if you prefer.

Cheers
Tim