Your learning Spanish in Cuenca thread.

How good does one's Spanish need to be, or any language for that matter, before they should be able to boast that they know/speak Spanish?

My opinion is you need to be able to watch a telenovela --a spanish soap opera--and be able to understand everything that is being said.

Thoughts?

Anyway, using my own standard, I don't know/speak Spanish, but I am working on it, and have been for a number of years.

I won't lecture anyone about why they need to learn Spanish, because the truth, is I don't think most retired people are going to want to invest the time required to learn the language. It is often a tedious and boring process, requiring lots of studying.

That said, people can learn to ask for things in a restaurant and say basic courtesies without too much effort.

For the peeps that are working on their Spanish, the verb "gustar" is one of the more troublesome words. Part of the problem is

grammar textbooks usually concentrate on the third person forms (s/he, it, they) of gustar.

Well, if there is a more comprehensive discussion of the verb gustar than the one discussed on the following web page, I would like to see it.

http://www.thelearninglight.com/gustar.htm

One note about the word gustar, I'm not sure about other Spanish speaking countries, but in Ecuador if you use gustar for a person, it usually means you like them romantically. For example: Me gusta Amber (I like Amber romantically.)

To say you like someone as a just a friend, it's more common to hear "Me cae bien, John" (I like John) or "Me cae mal" if you don't like them. 

Recently, a visitor from the USA told me she was in a van and the driver was listening to Michael Jackson.  So she asked him "¿Te gusta Michael Jackson?" He got offended and heavily denied any romantic infatuation with Michael Jackson.  She had no idea why he was so upset until we explained later that she should have asked "¿Te cae bien, Michael Jackson?".

jm141302,

Good point. I was told the same thing some years ago when I studied Spanish in Antigua, Guatemala.

Here is a website that may interest you. The woman who runs the website who is from Spain and is an absolute podcasting animal, and I mean that favorably.

Her podcasts consist of dialogs about random topics, but what makes them great is she provides a written transcript with each of them that allow you to follow along while she talks.  Learning to read Spanish is a lot easier than learning to understand what somebody is saying. And yes, her accent and pronunciation is different from what you will hear in Ecuador, but she talks in a fairly deliberate pace so it makes easier to parse the words she is saying.

http://www.spanishpodcast.org/

A poor man's Rosetta Stone

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … VzZnJlZSJd

Good Stuff from this book.

Here is an excerpt:

Problematic Verbs

There are a few verbs that students have trouble with when it comes to using either the imperfect or the preterit. These verbs are ser, estar, querer, poder, creer, and tener. Instead of finding the answer in grammar books, I decided to ask native speakers what they thought. These are their answers, which may or may not be correct:

ser

“La película era/fue larga.”
I asked my friend Guillermo what the differences between these two sentences were, and he said, “Whoa! They're the same!” He and many of my other Mexican friends agree that they are the same. However, two Mexican speakers told me that they would say the first sentence if they were describing the movie. They would say the second one if they had just finished watching the movie.

“La Guerra de Secesión era/fue un desastre.”

Although both can be used here, fue is more common and makes more sense. I was told that saying era wouldn't impede the overall meaning. I would say that fue is required because the Civil War is a historical event.

“Cuando yo era/fui niño, yo…”

Although Spanish speakers can't explain why, they know that saying fui is incorrect. You have to use era because it is narrative background.

“Mi padre era/fue medico.”

Saying era in this sentences means that the father was a doctor during his life and died. Saying fue means that the father was a doctor at one point in his life, but he either retired or changed professions.

“El libro era/fue escrito por Cervantes.”

Here fue is required because it is a passive voice construction.

tener

“Mi hermano me dijo que tenía/tuvo un libro de francés.”

My friend translated these two sentences for me in English, and his translations surprised me. The imperfect sentence translates as, “My brother told me that he had a book.” The second is, “My brother told me that he used to have a book.” I was surprised because I had always learned that the habitual past in English (used to + verb) translates to the imperfect in Spanish. But in this sentence the preterit is translated as “used to + verb.” The only reason I can think of for this translation is the fact that the action of having something can't be repeated over and over. And it can also be explained by applying the concept of aspect. The preterit implies perfective aspect (or complete), and the imperfect implies imperfective aspect (or incomplete).

“Yo tenía/tuve frío.”

“Yo tenía frío” means “I was cold.” And “Yo tuve frío” means “I got cold.” The imperfect sentence is a description. The preterit sentence is a sudden occurrence. This works for other expressions that require tener + adjective.

“Yo tuve una carta.”

According to many books, the preterit of tener means received. But my Spanish speaking friends don't agree with that. The above sentence means “I used to have a letter.” Guillermo told he would've said, “Yo recibí una carta” if he wanted to say, “I received a letter.”

querer

“Yo me quería/quise ir.”

According to my Mexican friends, these two sentences are the same. But they would prefer to say quería. A Spaniard told me that they are not the same. He would use the preterit if he wanted to do it at that moment. Many books say that the preterit of querer means tried. But most Spanish speakers disagree with this. For them it is easier to use tratar. Ybette told me that the imperfect sentence means “I wanted to go” (but maybe I didn't). The preterit sentence means “I wanted to go and I did.”
When querer is used in the preterit and negated, it means refused. For example:

“No me quise ir.” – “I refused to go.”

“Cuando la chica vio el caballo, lo quería/quiso de inmediato.”

In this case only the preterit is possible. This is because the action of wanting wasn't continuous; it was a reaction to another action.

estar

“Yo estaba/estuve aquí a las nueve.”

Many grammar books say that the imperfect sentence means
“I was here at nine” whereas the preterit sentence means “I arrived here at nine.” I asked some Spanish speakers about this, and they told me that the second sentence stretches the meaning of estar. If they wanted to say “arrived,” they would say, “Yo llegué aquí a las nueve.” Ybette told me that the imperfect sentence means “I was here at nine” whereas the preterit sentence emphasizes the fact that the person was there at nine: “I WAS here at nine.”

“El hombre estaba/estuvo borracho.”

Saying “El hombre estaba borracho” is simply a description. To say “El hombre estuvo borracho,” you have to also indicate a place where he was drunk. For example: “El hombre estuvo borracho en el restaurante.” This also works with other adjectives.

Examples:
La chica estaba contenta.
La chica estuvo contenta en la fiesta.

creer

“La chica dijo que creía/creyó en Papá Noel.”

The imperfect sentence is an example of indirect speech. You could also say “La chica dijo, ‘Yo creo en Papá Noel.'” The preterit sentence translates into “The girl said she used to believe in Santa Claus.” This is another example of a preterit verb that means “used to.” The act of believing isn't an action that can be repeated over and over again.

poder

“El estudiante podía/pudo hacer su tarea.”

The imperfect sentence indicates that the student had the ability to do his homework. The preterit sentence indicates that the student had the ability to do his homework and succeeded; his homework is finished.

“El estudiante no podía/pudo hacer su tarea.”

The imperfect sentence indicates that the student was capable of doing his homework, but for some reason he didn't do it. The preterit sentence indicates that the student was not capable of doing his homework; he tried and failed.

“Used to” in the Sense of “Would”

English often uses the modal verb would where an imperfect verb would be used in Spanish. Look at the following sentence.

I would watch TV all day when I was young.
Yo miraba la television todo el día cuando era joven.

If the modal verb would is conveying a hypothetical situation, the conditional is used. But when it is used in a sentence like the one above, the imperfect is used.
These two past tenses require a lot of practice to understand correctly. The rules in this chapter should clarify when to use one or the other.

Thanks for the lengthy list of problematic verbs..  This is very useful.

I have retired, spent three weeks in Quito, but now I will be coming into Cuenca to live starting this Wednesday. I learned  some Spanish for 8 months  in Costa Rica, pero hace mucho tiempo (1991)..

Now I'm learning all over again.

One issue...   how to have English speaking friends but not hurt my Spanish learning.  I think this would be big problem hanging out with retirees who have no interest in learning the language.

Your thoughts??

Gary

Good question. While speaking English is not helpful, it is pretty much unavoidable. The main thing for those motivated in improving their Spanish, is to allocate some time each day to working on the Spanish, either with a teacher or using your own materials. How much time is a question of one's personal ambition and interest. 

I think a great place for the adult learner to take classes is from Lee Dubs at Carolina Bookstore on Hermano Miguel. He has been teaching Spanish for 50 years (mostly in the states) and since he speaks English fluently, he can explain things in English when needed. There are small classes sizes, you split the hourly cost(like $10) among the students who show up that day, and you meet some other expats.

Thanks EVCS and Nards....

This is helpful. 

I am trying to read a Spanish daily newspaper for 30 minutes a day just to expose myself more to the language. I also look for every opportunity to listen  when I hear a conversation going on... a kind of public eavesdropping...  works for me.

I plan to take a few weeks of Spanish classes and, if this seems to be useful, I'll continue for as long as it is helpful and I can afford. 

I can't really imagine planning to live in a new country and not learning the language. I spent one year in China in 2006-7, and found it terribly frustrating and isolating to not be able to communicate or just read signs, etc.   I realized China was not going to work for me because I found myself not motivated to learn the language.

thanks again for the advise.

Gary V

I was scolded for my improper use of the word "adios" a few weeks back in Guayaquil and then confirmed the appropriate use of the word with Sarah at Fastklin Lavanderia (who else).

In Ecuador "adios" is rarely used. Here it means "farewell", as at the airport when you don't expect to see the person again for a long time, if ever.

So, if you want to say goodbye to someone, one of the following is common:

Chao
Hasta Luego
Que pase bien

Check out this link peeps.

The article has nothing to do with learning Spanish, although it makes for a good lead-in for a discussion on how I use my Sony PRS-T1 to work on my Spanish, by reading books in Spanish.

http://sp.sony-europe.com/da/471/164642.jpeg

In my humble opinion, Sony has made the best ebook readers for students of Spanish over the past few years for one simple fact: the integration of the Oxford Spanish-English dictionary into the device. You specify this dictionary in the settings. Then you press down on any word with your finger and you get a very thorough translation of the word into English.

Take a look at the following definition of the word "DAR" below which I copied from the dictionary. Dar is one of those Spanish words that has many meanings to it, so it is not exactly typical, but it shows you to what extent Oxford goes to in providing a definition.

dar [A25]
■ dar (verbo transitivo)

Sentido I
A (entregar) to give
dale las llaves a Jaime give the keys to Jaime, give Jaime the keys
se las di a Jaime I gave them to Jaime
dale esto a tu madre de mi parte give this to your mother from me
deme un kilo de peras can I have a kilo of pears?
500 dólares ¿quién da más? any advance on 500 dollars?
dar algo a + inf:
da toda la ropa a planchar/lavar she sends all her clothes to be ironed/washed, she has all her ironing/washing done for her
comer1 vi A 2., conocer, entender1 vt A 2., mamar
B (regalar, donar) to give
¿me lo prestas? — te lo doy, yo no lo necesito can I borrow it? — you can have it o keep it, I don't need it
a mí nunca nadie me dio nada nobody's ever given me anything
daría cualquier cosa por que así fuera I'd give anything o (colloq) I'd give my right arm for that to be the case
donde las dan las toman two can play at that game
estarlas dando (Chi fam): entremos sin pagar, aquí las están dando let's just walk in without paying, they're asking for it (colloq)
con ese profesor las están dando they get away with murder with that teacher (colloq)
para dar y tomar or vender: coge los que quieras, tengo para dar y tomar or vender take as many as you want, I have plenty to spare o (colloq) I've stacks of them
C (en naipes) to deal
¡me has dado unas cartas horribles! you've dealt o given me a terrible hand
D
1 (proporcionar) ‹fuerzas/valor/esperanza› to give
sus elogios me han dado ánimos his praise has given me encouragement o has encouraged me
eso me dio la idea para el libro that's where I got the idea for the book, that's what gave me the idea for the book
me dio un buen consejo she gave me some useful advice
mi familia no pudo darme una carrera my family weren't in a position to send me to o put me through university o to give me a university education
es capaz de robar si le dan la ocasión given the chance he's quite capable of stealing
pide que te den un presupuesto/más información ask them to give you o supply you with an estimate/more information
2 (Música) to give
¿me das el la? can you give me an A?
E (conferir, aportar) ‹sabor/color/forma› to give
las luces le daban un ambiente festivo a la plaza the lights gave the square a very festive atmosphere, the lights lent a very festive atmosphere to the square
les dio forma redondeada a las puntas he rounded off the ends
necesita algo que le dé sentido a su vida he needs something that will give his life some meaning
F
1 (aplicar) ‹capa de barniz/mano de pintura› to give
dale otra capa de barniz/otra mano de pintura give it another coat of varnish/paint
hay que darle cera al piso we have to wax the floor
dale una puntada para sujetarlo put a stitch in to hold it
2 ‹inyección/lavativa/sedante› to give, administer (frml); ‹masaje› to give
G
1 (conceder) ‹prórroga/permiso› to give
te doy hasta el jueves I'll give you until Thursday
¿quién te ha dado permiso para entrar allí? who gave you permission to go in there?, who said you could go in there?
si usted nos da permiso with your permission, if you will allow us
el dentista me ha dado hora para el miércoles I have an appointment with the dentist on Wednesday
dan facilidades de pago they offer easy repayment facilities o terms
nos dieron el tercer premio we won o got third prize, we were awarded third prize
al terminar el cursillo te dan un diploma when you finish the course you get a diploma
(atribuir): no le des demasiada importancia don't attach too much importance to it
yo le doy otra interpretación a ese pasaje I see o interpret that passage in a different way
tuvieron que darme la razón they had to admit I was right
3 (pronosticando duración) to give
no le dan ni dos meses de vida they've given him less than two months to live
no le doy ni un mes a esa relación I don't think they'll last more than a month together
(RPl) ‹edad/años› ¿cuántos años or qué edad le das? how old do you think o reckon she is?
yo no le daba más de 28 I didn't think he was more than 28
H
(expresar, decir): ¿le diste las gracias? did you thank him?, did you say thank you?
no me dio ni los buenos días she didn't even say hello
dales recuerdos de mi parte give/send them my regards
darle la bienvenida a algn to welcome sb
tenemos que ir a darles el pésame we must go and offer our condolences
me gustaría que me dieras tu parecer or opinión I'd like you to give me your opinion
le doy mi enhorabuena I'd like to congratulate you
¿me da la hora, por favor? have you got the time, please?
me tocó a mí darle la noticia I was the one who had to break the news to him
te han dado una orden you've been given an order, that was an order
han dado orden de desalojar el edificio they've ordered that the building be vacated
(señalar, indicar): me da ocupado or (Esp) comunicando the line's busy o (BrE) engaged
el reloj dio las cinco the clock struck five
muestra
Sentido II
A
(producir): estos campos dan mucho grano these fields have a high grain yield
esta estufa da mucho calor this heater gives out a lot of heat
esta clase de negocio da mucho dinero there's a lot of money in this business
esos bonos dan un 7% those bonds give a yield of 7%
los árboles han empezado a dar fruto the trees have begun to bear fruit
no le pudo dar un hijo she was unable to bear o give him a child
B
(rendir, alcanzar hasta): ¿cuánto da ese coche? how fast can that car go?
da 150 kilómetros por hora it can do o go 150 kilometers an hour
ha dado todo lo que el público esperaba de él he has lived up to the public's expectations of him
el coche venía a todo lo que daba the car was traveling at full speed
ponen la radio a todo lo que da they turn the radio on full blast
C
(causar, provocar): la comida muy salada da sed salty food makes you thirsty
¡estos críos dan tanto trabajo! these kids are such hard work!
(+ me/te/le etc): ¿no te da calor esa camisa? aren't you too warm in that shirt?
el vino le había dado sueño the wine had made him sleepy
me da mucha pena verla tan triste I can't bear o it hurts me to see her so sad
¡qué susto me has dado! you gave me such a fright!
me da no sé qué que se tenga que quedar sola I feel a bit funny about leaving her on her own
este coche no me ha dado problemas this car hasn't given me any trouble
ver tb asco, hambre, miedo, etc dar que + inf:
el jardín da muchísimo que hacer there's always such a lot to do in the garden
los niños dan que hacer children are a lot of work
lo que dijo me dio que pensar what he said gave me plenty of food for thought o plenty to think about
ver tb dar vi Sense III A.
D (Esp fam) (arruinar, fastidiar) to spoil, ruin
Isabelita nos dio la noche we had an awful night thanks to little Isabel
Sentido III
A
(presentar): ¿qué dan esta noche en la tele? what's on TV tonight? (colloq)
en el cine Avenida dan una película buenísima there's a really good movie on at the Avenida, they're showing a really good movie at the Avenida
ayer fuimos al teatro, daban una obra de Calderón we went to the theater yesterday, it was a play by Calderón
va a dar un concierto el mes que viene he's giving a concert next month
deja de gritar así, estás dando un espectáculo stop shouting like that, you're making a spectacle of yourself
B (ofrecer, celebrar) ‹fiesta› to give; ‹baile/banquete› to hold
C ‹conferencia› to give
dar examen (CS); to take o (BrE) sit an exam
ver tb clase1 f E.
Sentido IV
A
(realizar la acción indicada): dieron lectura al comunicado they read out the communiqué
estuvo dando cabezadas durante toda la película he kept nodding off all through the film
dio un grito/un suspiro she shouted/sighed, she gave a shout/heaved a sigh
dio un paso atrás/adelante he took a step back/forward
(+ me/te/le etc): dame un beso/abrazo

GaryV wrote:

Thanks EVCS and Nards....

I am trying to read a Spanish daily newspaper for 30 minutes a day just to expose myself more to the language. I also look for every opportunity to listen  when I hear a conversation going on... a kind of public eavesdropping...  works for me.
Gary V

Reading is good, but one also needs to listen to Ecuadorian radio and Ecuadorian TV to hear the pronounciation and rhythm of the speech.
Learning a language usually comes in 2 pairs of activity. Reading and writing come first. Followed by hearing (with understanding) and speaking.
One learning a new language needs to use their eyes, their hands, their ears, and their mouths.
!Suerte!  (no upside down exclamaiton point)

I wish there was a smart pill I could take, but alas.

Regarding radio, I occasionally tune in Radio Tomebamba

Regarding television, I sometimes watch the channel 2 newscast. According the station's website, they live stream between 6 and 10 p.m. on this justin.tv channel

For a limited time, the digital form of the newspaper El Universo is free, which is an exact replica of the paper version.

http://www.eluniverso.com/suscripciones/

If you open the paper on your desktop or laptop you are given the Flash based version, but you can download a pdf version using the menu at the bottom of the screen.

If you open the paper on an IPAD or other tablet you may need to force the browser to give you the desktop version in order to be able to download the pdf file. Reading it as a pdf file works a lot better in my opinion.

Now get your ass busy reading.:)

http://technology.stepbystep.com/files/2012/09/dictionary-google-400x295.jpg

If you need an excuse to switch to the Google Chrome browser, this free add-on is it, because it is not available in FireFox:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta … coja?hl=es

Double click on Spanish word and up pops a definition in English. It only gives you a single word definition, so it by no means is great.

If you are a more hard-core learner the following is even better for word look-up, although licensing it costs money. Instead of double clicking on the word however, you use a short-cut key after highlighting the word.

I learned a new word today while reading this article from my favorite local rag, although I am not sure its use is prevalent with "the folks", since I believe "furgoneta" is more common.

buseta = minivan

I have whittled my daily news reading list down to the following five sites. All English-based news sites are shunned with the exception of some technology blogs I follow.

1. El Tiempo

Cuenca-based news site superior in content and layout to that of the El Mercurio in my opinion.

2. El Nuevo Herald

Miami based news website that covers everything.

3. Wall Street Journal (Spanish Edition)

Selected articles that have been translated from the English website.  Considering that the English-based site is almost all paid content requiring a subscription, while this one is free, it is an excellent value.

4. ESPN.com(basketball)

I only follow basketball back in the states. Lots of IDIOMS employed in the writing, which are difficult to learn.

5. CNN Español

While El Nuevo Herald covers most general news, there are lots of special-interest articles that keep me coming back to this site.

I just discovered this great thread.  Thank you.

Happy new years peeps and bloggers.

http://dir.coolclips.com/Education/School/School_Objects_and_Supplies/Books_and_Projects/abcs_CoolClips_busi0700.jpg

Learning the Spanish alphabet by memory seems to be less of a necessity as an adult learner, I suppose in part because the Spanish alphabet is the same as the English alphabet except for the addition of the letter "ñ".

However, I find it useful to recite and pronounce the alphabet by memory because I often need to give my name and address in person or over the phone, which means spelling it out loud as well, and I don't always carry a copy of my passport.

So here is my new year's recommendation: learn your ABCs in Spanish. Here is a link to a website that will assist you with that. There are also plenty of applications designed for your phone or tablet available for this purpose that you can download.

By the way, if you thought there were additional letters to the Spanish alphabet, or if you hear certain letters being pronounced differently than you are expecting,check out this article which explains revisions that were made a few eyars ago.

I gave a guy in the post office a piece of paper with a tracking number. He asked me whether the "7" I had written was a 1 or a 7. 

Now I write my 7s like this:

http://www.jamesandthegiantcorn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Hand_written_7.png

Learning Spanish Grammar can be as frustrating as trying to get quality information on visa and cedula requirements from bloggers, but I digress.

I spent an hour this afternoon digging through my Spanish grammar books and doing Google searches trying to find an exception to a grammar rule. 

I will quote an advanced Spanish book for the general rule; the way it was originally taught to me some years ago in Guatemala:

The imperfect subjunctive is used for the same reasons as the present subjunctive, but the verb in the main clause is in a past tense (usually the imperfect or the preterit tense).

You would think an advanced Spanish book would cover an exception but alas, I had to find it in this book instead.

When the main clause is in the present tense and requires the subjunctive, but the verb in the main clause refers to an action in the past, the subordinate clause is in the imperfect subjunctive.

Take a look at these sentences. The second example is the exception that I am talking about.

Ella espera que yo no gaste todo el dinero. (She hopes that I don't spend all the money.)

Ella espera que yo no gastara todo el dinero. (She hopes that I didn't spend all the money.)

Here is another circumstance where the verb in the main can be in the present tense but the verb in the subordinate clause will be in the imperfect subjunctive.

The verb in a subordinate clause that begins with “as if ” or “as though” (como si) is in the imperfect subjunctive. The main clause can be in the present, the past, or the conditional tense.

Example:

Te ves como si fueras culpable. You look as if you were guilty.

From this article, the following sentence strikes me as odd:

Al igual que muchos africanos, los haitianos están desesperados y son vulnerables,

What I find odd is that the translator decided to link the verb estar with "desperate", but the verb ser with "vulnerable".

It seems that that the translator has decided that Haitians are vulnerable by nature, but that their desperation is a temporary condition.

Ponder that some more if you like after reading this article.

I have read in multiple sources a discussion on the differences between "pero" and "sino", but this is the first time I have seen the word "mas" thrown into the discussion.

The conjunction mas means “but” (as in “other than”). Mas is a synonym of pero. However, when the word “but” is used to indicate an exception to the norm, the word mas que is used:

In this book the following pitfall is indicated:

A main verb in a past tense can never be followed by a verb in the present subjunctive. A past subjunctive is required

Now look at this text pulled from this article of the El Nuevo Herald which appears to violate the pitfall stated above:

Panamá pidió el miércoles que la Organización de Estados Americanos (OEA) no ignore la “potencial violación” de su Carta Democrática

Now maybe there is an exception that I don't know about, but I see main verbs in the past tense followed by a verb in the present subjunctive all the time when reading articles.

I found the following explanation here, which reinforces what I was talking about in this comment above.

However, if the logic of the sentence requires, it's perfectly possible to have a main clause in the present tense and still have the subordinate clause in the imperfect subjunctive:

dudo que lo hiciera tan rápido
“I doubt he did it so quickly”

Indeed, on rare occasions it's just about possible to have te main verb in the future or at least periphrastic future (the ir a + infinitive construction) and have the subordinate verb in the past subjunctive:

No le va a gustar que no quisieras venir
“he won't like the fact that you didn't want to come”

These examples show that in general, the choice of present vs past subjunctive follows the logic of the sentence. There's certainly no requirement for “subjunctive tense X because the main verb is tense Y” as is sometimes dictated in sequence of tenses analyses.

Nards, you obviously have a language gift and interest. You should open a language school for expats and/or teach English to locals.

Thanks fdmcg, but my Spanish is awful. I can't understand what the guards in my building are saying to me half the time.:(

Nards, it is the accent and slang not the language ability. Your "ear" will get accustomed quickly.

That is what I am hoping. Although I have never been a big TV watcher, I am incorporating it into my daily routine in order to improve my listening skills.

Regarding this commment, it may be a regional thing, as explained in a reply I received on a language learning forum.

Here is an example of “c)'.
Me extraña que no haya completado el trabajo. => third person present perfect.

Here is the clincher. In South America, the imperfect subjunctive “completara” may be used.

These notes came from “Bilingual …” section 20.11 page 799 ff.

Here is a list of the channels I have been able to pick up using my Television's antenna. I have noticed It helps to have the tv near the window for better reception.

It appears most of them do live streaming over the internet as well.

Channel 02    Telecuenca   
Channel 04    Telerama       
Channel 05    Ecuavisa     
Channel 07    TC
Channel 11    TA           
Channel 13    RTS           
Channel 21    Uno           
Channel 25    Unison       
Channel 35    UCSG         
Channel 40    Oromar HD     
Channel 48    ECTV

I like how this website implements their vocabulary section with lists and flashcards:

http://www.spanish411.net/Spanish-Vocabulary.asp

Generally the spelling or pronuciation of the major countries in Spanish is smilar to that of English. This country is the exception.

Los Países Bajos = The Netherlands

http://www.spanish411.net/Spanish-Vocab … 0%20GDP%29

I am branching out to other forums for Spanish grammar discussions.  I am still pretty much talking to myself, however. Plus, I don't receive points over there like I do here that elevate my status among expats.

What is next after "Serial Expat"? "Expat Guru" maybe?

Well that is interesting. I have heard "chancho" mentioned twice in the past week. The first time a guard in my building was telling me he got sick on chancho and the second time when the taxi driver told me there is lots of chancho during Carnaval.

I have to laugh because I had pressed my guard into explaining to me what chancho is, he had told me the other names for pig, but I thought there was more to it for Chancho--like there was a special preparation involved. He just nodded his head in agreement.

Anyway, I was reading this article about pig buying, and final paragraph they switch over to calling it Chancho.

There are lots of names for pig in Spanish: Cerdo, Puerco, Cochino y Chancho.

http://www.eltiempo.com.ec/fotos-cuenca-ecuador/ecuador/t1_1360290096.jpg

When I came to Cuenca I brought my small desktop computer, but left the monitor, keyboard and mouse.

I bought a keyboard with Spanish keys when I got here, but many of the keys wouldnŽt work since my computer was configured to work with English keyboards.

When I upgraded to Windows 8, I installed it so all my menus are in Spanish. During the configuration process, I specified the following keyboard software option:

ESP Español (ECUADOR)
LAA Teclado Español

I thought for sure this would solve my problem, but I was still having problems using certain keys. So I installed a secondary keyboard:

ESP Español (ECUADOR)
INTL Teclado Estados Unidos - Internacional

This keyboard enabled me to access those problem keys, but I still had to switch back to use certain other keys.

Today, I decided to head down to an internet Cafe to inspect the configuration of their computers, since I have never had a similar problem when using one of them.

I determined that the keyboard they have installed is the following:

ESP Español España
      Teclado Español

This solved my problem. All keys are now accessible.

All of your suggestions are appreciated. I for one will have lots of time to learn the language and believe I should respect
the local culture.
No one has mentioned any classes in Cuenca. I would like to hear from anyone who is taking lessons from a local tutor.

Carl