UK/US couple emigrating to Malta

Hi, I'm a British citizen and my wife is American but unfortunately we have a couple issues regarding my wife emigrating to the UK.  I was wondering if the visa process for my wife to enter and join me in Malta would be easier?

I might have got it wrong but if I moved to Malta and resided there, my wife would just need to fill in the cea21 application to stay. Is this correct?

Any help clarifiyng this would be hugely appreciated.

Hi,

yes, you need to fill in the CEA 21 form ( you,not your wife as you are expressing your right as an EU citizen to live with your non-EU wife or partner in the EU).

It should not be a big deal , just show the income neccessary and health insurance for both of you.

I don't quite see why there should be issues in the UK as the procedure and EU rights are the same.

As an US citizen you can enter the EU without a visa and stay for up to three months. In this time you have to apply for her to stay .

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks for the quick reply.  The form and process seems to be lighter going than the UK one, at least.  It will be something to think of definitely.  Cheers for the information.  It's much appreciated.

You're welcome.

The forum lives from timely an answers unless we don't have an answer -)))

Just out of interest, what are the issues in the UK that don't seem to matter in the Schengen area (Malta)? I myself am a British national with a US American partner (family member) living with me in Malta. We are not married but after initial discussion she was accepted and granted residency and the same rights as an EU citizen.

Cheers
Ricky

The UK has got very strict on allowing non-EU citizens to take up residency, even those who are married to a UK national.

Yeah the UK has tightened it's belt on the financial requirment and while we do have savings that can keep us well we'd prefer for them to be used to start a life somewhere new.   

Could you please tell me more about the process after the CEA 21 form is submitted?  Are there interviews, background checks etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and apologies for taking so long to get back.  We've both been lucky enough to take a nice months vacation!

Also can I be cheeky too and ask about the job market?  We've got backgrounds in administratiion, warehouse work, retail, PA, agriculture etc  would work be reasonably easy to find iin the tourist season?  We want to live a simple life and with enough to cover us so we don't completely eat up our savings.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Hi bh73,

the interview is done when you file your application. Make sure you have all the relevant documents with you. You will need the conduct certificate from the police in Floriana and the health insurance proof.

Work will be possible in the tourist industry if you accept the wages paid.

The jobs you list usually depend on Maltese language skills and are not that well paid. But with two working and willing to live a simple life it should work out. Just give yourselves time to get used to Malta.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

Thanks again for the informative and quick reply.  Can I ask what's the conduct certificate?

Also where would you say the best place in Malta is to live if the tourist / hospitality industry is going to be our best bet of finding work.

Thank you again from the both of us!

Hi bh,

the police headquarters in Floriana make a check with their local records and look to see if there is an international arrest warrant issued for you -)))

It doesn't take long and is free of charge as far as I know. You will need it to apply for jobs too !

Most of the hotels are concentrated in the Sliema - St. Julians area as are many restaurants and bars. The bus connections here are also excellent ( most of the time -))).

If you go for a 6 month rental contract you can always optimize your choice of location depending on your preferences and work.

The other possible areas would be St. Pauls Bay/Bugibba and Mellieha

Cheers
Ricky

Awesome Ricky, you're better than any book I've purchased for this info!!  Cheers!! :D  Thank you so much.  If we get there I'll have to buy you a beer.

Sorry to pester you again, but how did your American family member and you find this process?  Was it relatively straight forward and painless?

How did you settle in?

Sorry for all the questions and it seems I'll probably owe you more than one beer!

Hi bh,

the process was very difficult for my American girlfriend. We had to fight for her residency through my rights as an EU citizen but in the end it worked out and we have no more problems. She has the same rights as an EU citizen.

If you are married it is much more straight forward! Show your income , marriage certificate, health insurance and good conduct and it should be fine.

You will have to get used to Malta ! It seems that I settled in easier than my American girlfriend as she works and I don't. That is a big difference.

Cheers
Ricky

PS Won't say no to a beer -)))

georgeingozo wrote:

The UK has got very strict on allowing non-EU citizens to take up residency, even those who are married to a UK national.

Sorry to jump on this thread apparently randomly but I am thinking of moving to Malta shortly with my family.  My wofe is non-EU whereas my son and I are British. 

We looked at settling on the UK jut recently but the new laws are to me quite absurd....  I am British and so is my son yet my non-EU wife cannot live with us unless I show $100,000 in a bank account for 6 months before we apply.... 

Even the US so famously strict on immigration allows for spouses to enter with a national,  how can the UK feel this new law is justified.  It seems extreme to me....

I wonder if anyone will go to The Hague to challenge it as in my case my child and I should have the right to live with our wife/mother....

ricky wrote:

It doesn't take long and is free of charge as far as I know. You will need it to apply for jobs too !

I got mine two weeks ago, it's €2.50,- and takes only 1 Minute :)

matm911 wrote:
ricky wrote:

what does ?

georgeingozo wrote:
matm911 wrote:
ricky wrote:

what does ?

see posts 8 and 9

PaulBart1 wrote:
georgeingozo wrote:

Sorry to jump on this thread apparently randomly but I am thinking of moving to Malta shortly with my family.  My wofe is non-EU whereas my son and I are British. 

We looked at settling on the UK jut recently but the new laws are to me quite absurd....  I am British and so is my son yet my non-EU wife cannot live with us unless I show $100,000 in a bank account for 6 months before we apply.... 

Even the US so famously strict on immigration allows for spouses to enter with a national,  how can the UK feel this new law is justified.  It seems extreme to me....

I wonder if anyone will go to The Hague to challenge it as in my case my child and I should have the right to live with our wife/mother....

I feel for you.  My wife and I have felt the same anger and frustration at the British system.  Then people have asked us both 'well how do all the other people get in?'   I want to punch them for that. It's a horrible situation.  We've been making do with trips back and forth, as well as a handful of extended trips but it is very hard on us both. We just want to begin our life together.  It makes me mad that you and your wife are in the same situation too with a child.

Good luck with your plans to move to Malta. :)

The problem is the British electorate say there are too many people coming to live in the UK.  As cannot stop EU citizens,  non-EU citizens bear the brunt.

georgeingozo wrote:

The problem is the British electorate say there are too many people coming to live in the UK.  As cannot stop EU citizens,  non-EU citizens bear the brunt.

Yup, that's it.  It's really upsetting for us though.  We've been together nearly 5 years now and in the middle of last year we talked to lawyers who said we don't really stand a chance. :(

Malta looks more doable for us though. Fingers crossed!

it could quite easily end up happening here too though...fortunately or unfortunately dependng on viewpoint - many EU citizens who relocate here soon leave as they just cannot make a living here for all sorts of reasons

toonarmy9752 wrote:

it could quite easily end up happening here too though...fortunately or unfortunately dependng on viewpoint - many EU citizens who relocate here soon leave as they just cannot make a living here for all sorts of reasons

Thanks for your post, I'm struggling to get a decent picture of our chances of finding a living in Malta in my head.  I've read some accounts saying it's tough and others saying it's easy enough if you're looking at tourist work (bar work, cleaning hotels etc).  Then again, I've read about needing language skills for service jobs then other people have said they're not needed in a chunk of tourist type employers.

Heads kinda spinning with it all at the moment. :(

if you retrie here life is good - if you have to work its much harder...but that depends largely on what you are prepared to do for work, how many hours you want to work or are able to work, and how much (or little is more relevant) you will work for...unless of course you have some much needed skill sets here then the pay is commensurate with that... e.g finance, igaming, IT, online gambling / poker etc..... otherwise its usually very seasonal tourism industry jobs at the low pay scale end....Most people try the hsbc and northway brokers who solely deal with british clients and who always seem to be looking for staff, they pay well have good holidays, bupa, overtime and other perks. good luck

toonarmy9752 wrote:

if you retrie here life is good - if you have to work its much harder...but that depends largely on what you are prepared to do for work, how many hours you want to work or are able to work, and how much (or little is more relevant) you will work for...unless of course you have some much needed skill sets here then the pay is commensurate with that... e.g finance, igaming, IT, online gambling / poker etc..... otherwise its usually very seasonal tourism industry jobs at the low pay scale end....Most people try the hsbc and northway brokers who solely deal with british clients and who always seem to be looking for staff, they pay well have good holidays, bupa, overtime and other perks. good luck

Ah I don't have any of those skill sets!  Though we're both prepared to work hard and not for much as long as it can cover a basic living.  Thank you for your input here.  It helps with trying to get a picture of things.  I guess it will always be a gamble.

it is a gamble my friend...my only advice to peopel is that when you come make sure you have enough to tide you over for at least 6 months.